Dry Lubes versus Wet Lubes

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

JD Spydo wrote:I got mine from New Graham but there are a lot of vendors that carry Militec but I was able to get Militec Grease directly from the company with no problem. Several of the internet knife dealers carry Militec in their stock. I think Oso Grande does and I do believe that Grande Prarie does as well to the best of my memory. I'm sure a Google search would probably even give you a dealer in your own locale. Because there are several places here in Kansas City, Missouri USA that do. I've also noticed that many firearms dealers carry it as well. It wouldn't surprise me if the Spyderco Factory outlet carried it because that is where I usually get my Ballistol from.
I can`t find any around here where I live.I have done a lot of business with new graham,I believe I will go ahead and get some from New graham.Thank you very much Joe,for pointing me in the right direction.
Divo

Post by Divo »

I dont think you can mark one lube as "best". Imo you need to look what you want to achieve exactly.
eg, When you use your knife often for foodprep maybe you want to focus on a foodsafe lube.
It will limit your choices.
If thats no issue you have plenty of options.
And so there are many different (personal) preferences which makes one lube has advantages over the other.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Divo wrote:I dont think you can mark one lube as "best". Imo you need to look what you want to achieve exactly.
eg, When you use your knife often for foodprep maybe you want to focus on a foodsafe lube.
It will limit your choices.
If thats no issue you have plenty of options.
And so there are many different (personal) preferences which makes one lube has advantages over the other.
That's a great point Divo because I usually always keep at least 4 different lubrication products out on the table whenever I'm doing maintenance on my blades and other work that needs to be done. That's the main reason I started this thread because I truly do want to know what everyone is having the best luck with. I also wanted to know what is going on in the dry lube arena now a days. I know that graphite as good as it is.

And I am a firm believer in prompt maintenance and knives need it more than most tools.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Student

Post by The Student »

Evil D wrote:I prefer something that goes on wet and dries like a wax based lube. That way it gets into the crevices and dries. Wet lube picks up lint and dust and dirt too much for my taste.
+1 I like this also, I tend to use too much oil/lube and it always ends up bad with oil ect.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

JD Spydo wrote: :D Gee I never thought of Zepplin songs being associated with modern lubrication products :rolleyes: But you're very estute my friend because even most Zeppelin heads have all but forgot the great songs off Led Zepplin I >> because other than "Physical Graffiti" I prefer the first 2 albums the best overall.

Maybe we could get Robert Plant and Jimmy Page to be spokespersons for Militec :rolleyes: :D

Jimmy sure plays guitar like he's well lubed that's for sure :D And so did the other JIMI >> RIP :cool:
Led Zeppelin does Rock and I am sure that at least during the earlier part of their career they experimented with many different kinds of lubes.
JD Spydo

Where is PTFE in this picture?

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm sort of surprised that I haven't heard much of the PTFE dry lubes>> or even the PTFE wet lubes for that matter :confused:

According to all the record books PTFE is supposed to be the slickest known substance on the planet. I sure have seen wonderful products containing PTFE in the automotive field in the past 10 to 12 years.

Also what have they done to replace graphite in the dry lube arena? I just know they must have some dry lube slicker than graphite by now.

Also I would love to see a list of the brand names of some of the newer and most advanced lubrication products.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!