Tactical Flashlights on Airplanes, any issues

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DRKBC

Tactical Flashlights on Airplanes, any issues

Post by DRKBC »

Has anyone had any issues with taking a flashlight on the airplane? I am wondering if I can take my Fenix PD22 in my Carry on or if I need to pack it. It's a little light but who knows these days.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I used to fly weekly and always had an old Streamlight Scorpion in my bag, it wasn't an issue. The PD22 is allowed and shouldn't be a problem. Remember, Flashlights are for illumination purposes only. :cool: Sorry, that is a direct quote from my old departments SOP, It always made me laugh.
:spyder:
Dan
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Thanks Dan, I didn't think it would be an issue but I would rather not have it confiscated. I probably should have mentioned that we are going down to Mexico, any experience with that countries customs? I would assume they would be similar in this regard?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would think about strike bezels of any kind. I believe you can have it lithium powered but can't bring spare lithium batteries. You might look up the TSA rules on that.

I typically bring a mundane AA or AAA light as carry-on. No tactical pens either.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Blerv wrote:I would think about strike bezels of any kind. I believe you can have it lithium powered but can't bring spare lithium batteries. You might look up the TSA rules on that.

I typically bring a mundane AA or AAA light as carry-on. No tactical pens either.
The dreaded Mag lite, is my destiny? Say it isn't so.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I've carried Fenix and Olight flashlights as well as spare 18650 and 123A batteries both domestically and internationally within the past 6 months in my carry on bags. Spare 123A's were in a CountyComm carrier and the 18650 was in a little plastic box.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

DRKBC wrote:Thanks Dan, I didn't think it would be an issue but I would rather not have it confiscated. I probably should have mentioned that we are going down to Mexico, any experience with that countries customs? I would assume they would be similar in this regard?
During my last trip, the Mexican customs people took all my batteries away from my carry-on bag on the flight back. So I wouldn't take rechargables and keep any extras in the checked bags.
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

DRKBC wrote:The dreaded Mag lite, is my destiny? Say it isn't so.
Oh nah. Plenty of options out there. I would just make sure it doesn't look like a weapon or you bring a brick of extra batteries. Non Li-Ion are fine though whether rechargable, alkaline or energizer disposable. One of these would be more ideal as the batteries are easy to find anywhere as a tourist.

The TSA lists their lithium battery laws online or you could call and ask. I would look but the cell phone can be clumsy. You could prob just put a fresh battery in the Fenix as it doesn't look like a shiv. :)

My bro went to Mexico recently and brought a Solar Force with a 4 cr123 battery body and SS head. It was basically a club :p . No issues but I'm sure he checked it. If a expensive light I'm sure he would have not brought it.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Thanks guys I'll give it a try. Hopefully I won't end up in the big house next to one of those people who try to smuggle on nail clippers or a large bottle of contact lens solution ... those dudes play for real.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't chance it. All it takes is one prick who likes your flashlight and wants to make it his and you're screwed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:I wouldn't chance it. All it takes is one prick who likes your flashlight and wants to make it his and you're screwed.
Yeah I can't say that's not a concern, I don't like to send things through in my checked luggage because they make an excuse to open your luggage and steel your stuff and I don't like to take it through in my carry on, cause they make up a rule and then steel your stuff. Funny world we live in.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I would go to the airlines website to see what they do/don't allow with carry-on. I'm going on a trip at the end of November and will be using AirCanada. They allow electronic devices using lithium-ion cells at a 100 Watt/hours each on carry-on only. If you have a flashlight that uses a 18650 lithium-ion at 4.2V and 3100mAH then the Watt/hour will be 13.02Wh. It also says you can take spare lithium-ion cells with the same rating. But there's the caveat at the bottom of their page saying the country you're going to will have different regulations.

I would imagine the other airlines have similar allowances on their planes. It might be a good idea to print out the page from the airlines site and take it with you just in case the person inspecting your carry-on gets interested in your flashlight and decides to liberate it from you.

Myself, I'll be taking a single AA flashlight but I might change my mind when the time comes to go.

Have fun in Mexico.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Thanks for the tips Angus. I am leaning more and more towards taking a cheap flashlight. That way if I make it down with a flashlight I have something to use and if I don't ... well I will have made a donation to the Canadian or Mexican Customs officials that I won't lose any sleep over.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I fly a lot and have been traveling with tactical lights and Tuff-Writer tactical pens for years. My current light is a Sure-Fire LX2 Lumamax with a very subtle crenulated bezel. Previously I carried a Surefire Aviator and an Insight HX120. In hundreds of flights, I've only had one TSA agent question it. I keep extra CR123 in my carry-on bag and have never had them questioned. My Tuff-Writers (I usually carry two in my bag) similarly have never been questioned.

The confiscate-the-battery thing usually happens in poor countries. The airport in Manila used to be notorious for that. If you challenged them on it, they would agree to box up your batteries and check them as baggage. I once loitered at the gate and "suggested" that to every passenger who got stopped. The security folks eventually stopped taking batteries because it was more hassle to box them up.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Michael Janich wrote:I fly a lot and have been traveling with tactical lights and Tuff-Writer tactical pens for years. My current light is a Sure-Fire LX2 Lumamax with a very subtle crenulated bezel. Previously I carried a Surefire Aviator and an Insight HX120. In hundreds of flights, I've only had one TSA agent question it. I keep extra CR123 in my carry-on bag and have never had them questioned. My Tuff-Writers (I usually carry two in my bag) similarly have never been questioned.

The confiscate-the-battery thing usually happens in poor countries. The airport in Manila used to be notorious for that. If you challenged them on it, they would agree to box up your batteries and check them as baggage. I once loitered at the gate and "suggested" that to every passenger who got stopped. The security folks eventually stopped taking batteries because it was more hassle to box them up.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank you for the great tips Mike, I am surprised about the Tuff writers I had ruled that out as an option.

Dwayne
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

To each his/her own but I would generally shy away from anything bordering on tactical. There are suitable replacements which are 100% safe to not have confiscated or have the TSA try to fine you for; I don't like giving them a decision making process.

If you had plans to spend far more time overseas that's different. For a week or weekend (personally) a mundane AA or AAA "EDC" light makes sense. Plus, it means you can justify having a variety of lights. :D

As Mike said though you are probably fine with a couple batteries and at least the one loaded into the flashlight. The tactical thing is going to get you potentially in more trouble than having an extra CR123. That's an easy "what if?"...just give them the $4 in batteries.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Never had any trouble with lights (HDS, Surefire etc.) I wouldn't bring anything you can't stand loosing just in case..
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Take no chance. Have it checked in the luggage.
If you only have a carry on, well, I think you can manage a couple o'days without it.

On the other hand, I travel a lot and it really depends on when and who checks you out.

I've even flyed with a Leatherman ps4.

In 2003, My brither in law took the plane from Washington DC to Montreal with a Ying Yang set in his travel bag (he had forgot it was there)

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Dwayne, I said you would be fine but I was basing that off of American TSA guidelines. I am not familiar with Canadian or Mexican airline regulations. I just wanted to mention that. It would definitely be beneficial to check the "Allowable/Prohibited Items List" for Canada and Mexico.

That being said, if flashlights are allowed, the Fenix PD22 doesn't scream Tactical or Weapon IMHO. Batteries and the transport of batteries is usually listed in it's own section. Consider how long the trip is and if you will genuinely need a spare.

I appreciate peoples concern for things being confiscated but there is a difference between confiscation and theft. Again, I cannot speak for Canadian or Mexican customs but if a TSA officer here tries to confiscate a non-prohibited item you have every right to challenge that decision. Where people go wrong and get in trouble is the way they go about it. Yelling and screaming in the security line doesn't usually end well but asking to see their supervisor should get things straightened out.

I stated somewhat tongue in cheek in my first response, "flashlights are for illumination purposes only" but that what they are for. Sometimes folks are their own worse enemies by the way they respond to questions.

For example;
TSA..."What is this?" Passenger..."This is my tacticol personal defense high impact flashlight that can disorient a person in strobe mode and then crack their skull, I carry it for self defense because you guys won't let me carry a knife" Equals...no more flashlight and probably missed flight.
Instead of this
TSA..."What is this?" Passenger..."Just a flashlight"

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your trip.
Dan
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

OldSarSwmr wrote:
TSA..."What is this?" Passenger..."This is my tacticol personal defense high impact flashlight that can disorient a person in strobe mode and then crack their skull, I carry it for self defense because you guys won't let me carry a knife" Equals...no more flashlight and probably missed flight.
Instead of this
TSA..."What is this?" Passenger..."Just a flashlight"

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your trip.
That's hilarious Dan :D you're so right some people are their own obstacles in this life.

I don't think that little flashlight looks too terrifying either. I am traveling with my family for a couple of weeks so it would be nice to have it so I am going to check into the regulations a little further. its not like it is that expensive of a light but I like it and I don't want to have to replace just because I didn't do my homework.