Anyone else have a package stuck with USPS?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Azad

Anyone else have a package stuck with USPS?

Post by Azad »

I recently started the annual culling of knives by selling them on eBay. Almost all the knives were bought by US buyers with a few going to Europe and one going Down Under. Right now I have 2 packages stuck at the USPS sort facility in NY. Sold on the 2nd of September, shipped out on the 3rd and arrived at the NY facility on the 8th of September. It has been stuck in NY ever since. I'm putting myself in the buyers' shoes and I know I'd be getting jumpy too waiting for my knife to arrive.

I called USPS (from Singapore) and they asked me to raise an investigation through my national carrier (SingPost). I did, but the USPS is not responding to it. I'm looking at a huge loss if they start making claims as all the knives have been shipped out within 24hrs of being sold. :(

What other options are available to me?

We all know that the knife community is a small one. I'd hate to think if my good name is sullied because of USPS' delay. I'm actually thinking of pulling all my other knives from eBay until the USPS start sorting things out, or just block US buyers.

Oh, just to add... none of the knives are even heading into NY as I know they have strange knife laws there. Sigh, this is not helping my condition...

Azad
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

Everything I have purchased from overseas has gone through NY customs, and has taken some time to get to me. If they aren't heading to NY addresses I wouldn't worry. I might also add that the actual USPS website doesn't update as frequently as it should. I always ship with delivery confirmation and a bunch of times the website never updated until it actually arrived.

Instead of calling them, try emailing them.
Azad

Post by Azad »

Yeah, I have DC for all my shipments too but I've never received any of the DC slips back. I'm going to take your suggestion and email them. Took 5 days to arrive in the US and more than 2 weeks just to clear customs. At this rate I'm going to get stomach ulcers.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Never had an outbound package get stuck for more than a couple days anywhere in the USA, but I had one, inbound from Europe, get stuck in NY customs for nearly a month. It then arrived, unopened, while still shown as "Held by Customs".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Azad

Post by Azad »

The Deacon wrote:Never had an outbound package get stuck for more than a couple days anywhere in the USA, but I had one, inbound from Europe, get stuck in NY customs for nearly a month. It then arrived, unopened, while still shown as "Held by Customs".
Yup, inbound into USA... I gathered as much that it is the customs.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Like others said USPS doesn't update regulary. That is until the package gets to FL (where I live). I've seen packages seem to be in Ohio or Montana or somewhere for several days as if they aren't moving. I don't know if they are or not. But, as soon as they hit Pensacola, Jacksonville, etc. they are updated and I can then track the package to my door. The FL guys are almost good enough for me to watch a live video on the computer of the guy putting it in my mail box. :) I have shipped to Canada a few times and you never know how that is going to go. Normally, it stays in Miami for at least one week, maybe two. That's according to the USPS web site. I have no idea where the package actually is. They always get there though. Hopefully you don't have anything to worry about.

Can you imagine how it was during the pony express days? The address may be;

Billy the kid
New Mexico
or
Joe Blow
Out West

:)

Jack
WMR

Post by WMR »

I had an electronic device come from Brazil where it was stuck in Brazil customs for 3 weeks. Then to New York (2 days) and then on to Florida (quick service.) I knew the guy in Brazil had a good reputation but I was getting nervous. He sent me some reassuring email so I was patient and would buy from him again (if I wasn't in a hurry.)
Azad

Post by Azad »

Maybe it's a side effect of living in Singapore where life and everything else moves at breakneck speed. The thought that a parcel takes weeks to clear is just foreign to me but then again Singapore is but a small island and mail usually gets to me within a day. You know you are desperate when you find yourself bargaining with a higher power just so your package will make it through safely.
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Azad,

a package sent to me in Germany from SFO was stuck at Los Angeles since Aug. 23, according to tracking. I finally received it today. Normally USPS takes about 10 - 14 days from the US to Germany, add a couple days for customs processsing and it's still below three weeks. Seriously thought that particular shipment to be lost. USPS sucks, wish SFO would use FedEx, much better tracking there, imho.
yablanowitz

Re: Anyone else have a package stuck with USPS?

Post by yablanowitz »

Since it has been nine years now, I'm pretty sure the packages have been found or written off by now.