Just Plain STUPID!!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

raven wrote:... @ Pinetreebbs, I noticed you live in SC as well. Where is your wife an RN at??? Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
University Hospital in just across the Savannah River in Augusta, Georgia. I'll guess you are either near Columbia or Charleston, SC?

Colorado! Glad we are getting an early Fall so the temperatures are lower than usual. :D
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
raven

Post by raven »

JLS wrote:Raven, in a strange way, was it satisfying to know that all of your training paid off when you reflexively countered her action? At least you acted according to your training, rather than reacted like most others would.

Stay safe out there.
It was satisfying in a way, but I did feel bad for having done it. For me it's a natural reaction, because prior to leaving Colorado I had been a DT/SD instructor for our department and also did some instruction in the Police Academy. Part of what I taught was "weapon retention". It's just an automatic reaction for me.

Even prior to becoming an instructor and while I was going through the Police Academy... They HAMMERED weapon retention into us. An LEO's sidearm is Life or Death out on the streets... There are other options we're trained in, but in a "Lethal Force Encounter", that sidearm is the deciding factor. You read horror stories all the time about an officer getting shot or killed with his own weapon. Better to be proactive rather than reactive. ;)

I mentioned I felt bad and still do. She may not have known better, because of the laid back nature of the other officers and their lack of reacting to something like that in the past. So, in her mind it wasn't a big deal to go ahead and grab. At least she knows now not to be doing that in the future. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
raven

Post by raven »

Pinetreebbs wrote:University Hospital in just across the Savannah River in Augusta, Georgia. I'll guess you are either near Columbia or Charleston, SC?

Colorado! Glad we are getting an early Fall so the temperatures are lower than usual. :D
I live closer to Columbia... it's actually about 1.5 hrs from where we live. We live in Florence, SC. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Talk about training taking over to ensure automatic, correct reaction. You certainly acted properly, Gil.

This incident sounds like complacency on her part or perhaps an accident (i.e., went to grab your chair, missed, and landed her hand on your weapon). Anyway, hope she learned her lesson and glad the end result wasn't an accidental discharge.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Oofa

Post by Oofa »

2edgesword wrote:She is fortunately she didn't end up with a broken wrist or arm.
Yes. I don't think my training would have let her walk away without being severely manhandled.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I think you should try to understand where she was coming from and give her a little bit of a break. She likes you. :D She wouldn't have grabbed the pistol of someone she didn't like. It's not her fault. Ladies always fall for guys who like Spyderco knives. :) That's what I tell the ladies anyway. :)

Seriously, I'm sure she hasn't had much dealing with firearms in her life. Otherwise she would have known better without even thinking about it. I'm just hoping there is some other explanation than her being just STUPID, being a nurse and all. :)

Jack
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

phillipsted wrote:We always used to sing the lyric "You don't spit into the wind" a bit differently when I was younger... :rolleyes:

TedP
Hmmm... That's true, Ted. Seems like we did too. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

phillipsted wrote:We always used to sing the lyric "You don't spit into the wind" a bit differently when I was younger... :rolleyes:

TedP
I am familiar with that variation and others that involved a fan. ;)
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Well Gil...Look at the bright side.....your weapons retention skills are working for you....that's all you can ask for.....
Can't begin to describe what I'm thinking about this women, well I can...but it's not for public viewing......Good Job Gil!.....Doc :) Stay Safe knifebro!
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Some folks are just genuinely thoughtless.

BTW, nurses outrank security guards in hospital / mental ward settings. Even if there is a security guard who is professional, they can't correct the nurses. If they try, the nurse would complain; and the guard would get yanked from the client's site. He won't get fired. He'll just be sent to a new location. Likely, it'll be worse than working in a hospital. If your security manager doesn't like you, you end up in a place far worse. Working completely screwed up hours. They keep you there until you're ready to quit. Or, they tell you it'll be a bit of time before they can locate a new client site to send you to. They tell you that you're not fired. That you're still employed with the company. Then, they don't do anything. Weeks go by, and you have zero money coming in. But you're still employed with the company though. Meaning you can't apply for unemployment. Then when you (eventually) get fed up, they hope you'll call up the main office in an angry mood and quit. That way, once again, you don't get unemployment.

There are places in America where adult entertainers are unionized. But not security guards. Basically, anyone from the client's site can snap their fingers; and you're gone! Doormen have a union. Years ago, and I'll never forget this, a doorman in NYC was suspended without pay for a day because a building resident complained to his boss that he had bad breath. The guy fought the suspension. His union fought for him. Suspension was reversed, and he got a bonus as well. And, that's just a doorman. When I used to work security 2 years ago, I guarded data banks full of accounts worth billions of dollars. I watched out for residents in a Manhattan co-op who were worth millions. I know which heli-pad big name politicians use when they want to visit the Financial District in NYC, while maintaining a low-profile. And yet, doormen have more rights than security guards.

When you're a security guard, the only job-security you have is to get the client and everyone working for him to like you. I'm not surprised those security guards you mentioned pal around with those nurses.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
raven

Post by raven »

Monocrom wrote:Some folks are just genuinely thoughtless.

BTW, nurses outrank security guards in hospital / mental ward settings. Even if there is a security guard who is professional, they can't correct the nurses. If they try, the nurse would complain; and the guard would get yanked from the client's site. He won't get fired. He'll just be sent to a new location. Likely, it'll be worse than working in a hospital. If your security manager doesn't like you, you end up in a place far worse. Working completely screwed up hours. They keep you there until you're ready to quit. Or, they tell you it'll be a bit of time before they can locate a new client site to send you to. They tell you that you're not fired. That you're still employed with the company. Then, they don't do anything. Weeks go by, and you have zero money coming in. But you're still employed with the company though. Meaning you can't apply for unemployment. Then when you (eventually) get fed up, they hope you'll call up the main office in an angry mood and quit. That way, once again, you don't get unemployment.

There are places in America where adult entertainers are unionized. But not security guards. Basically, anyone from the client's site can snap their fingers; and you're gone! Doormen have a union. Years ago, and I'll never forget this, a doorman in NYC was suspended without pay for a day because a building resident complained to his boss that he had bad breath. The guy fought the suspension. His union fought for him. Suspension was reversed, and he got a bonus as well. And, that's just a doorman. When I used to work security 2 years ago, I guarded data banks full of accounts worth billions of dollars. I watched out for residents in a Manhattan co-op who were worth millions. I know which heli-pad big name politicians use when they want to visit the Financial District in NYC, while maintaining a low-profile. And yet, doormen have more rights than security guards.

When you're a security guard, the only job-security you have is to get the client and everyone working for him to like you. I'm not surprised those security guards you mentioned pal around with those nurses.

Hey Monocrom, How goes it brother... Long Time No Hear ;) . It's like you mentioned... Doctors and Nurses "Can Walk on Water"... or at least they think they can that's also how they're treated :rolleyes: . I noticed that from day 1.

If the other officers choose to keeping being complacent and being buddy buddy with the nurses and doctors.... Good On Them. Me, I'm not changing my Officer Safety Habits... I'll continue to be as friendly as possible and professional... but, I'm Not There To Make Friends, and Sure In The **** not there to be belittled and talked down to by any doctor or nurse. They've tried already and failed miserably :D .

I was supposedly hired to protect and keep the peace... That's What I'll Continue To Do ;) . If a Doctor or Nurse puts me in Harms Way...We're Going To Have A Serious Disagreement and Some Serious Issues. If they choose to get rid of me, because I'm willing to protect myself and go home in one piece... So Be It!!! Then that's a place I shouldn't be employed, because their definition of Protect and Serve Is way different than mine ;) . We're considered a Level 1 Peace Officer and certified through S.L.E.D. (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division). We SHOULD be carrying ourselves and duties as an LEO??? This place is a DISASTER waiting to happen :eek: ... only way I can describe it. They have some serious issues that they keep ignoring and don't really want to address, because of administration. I'm afraid nothing is going to be done until something happens... by then, It's Too Late. Be Proactive, Not Reactive. I keep trying to tell them that, but they're not listening :( .

Anyway... I don't plan on being there too much longer :D ... I'm going back home to Good Ole Colorado... Woo Hoo :D Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

BTW... Not All Doctors and Nurses carry themselves like they're better than everyone else. I've met some that genuinely care about what they're doing and the people they're caring for. I've also seen a lot... and I mean A LOT of the Doctors and Nurses that makes a person wonder why they are there and doing what they do, because they have some really bad attitudes, rude, and very unprofessional. It's pretty bad and very unprofessional, when you listen to two nurses make fun of a patient, because one blew a vein when attempting to put in an IV??? I've also heard nurses argue with psych patients.... Really, what does that say about the nurse, They're Arguing With A Psych Patient???

-raven-

defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

She's lucky she did that to a reasonable man. Some folks get shot doing stupid things like that.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Hey Raven.

I know it's been awhile. Concentrating on my new career as a Pharmacy Technician. Not going too well, if I'm honest. But things are looking up. I have a very good job opportunity coming up next week, and from there it's just a stone's throw away from working in a hospital. Where the bigger money is.

I hear you regarding doctors and nurses. I encountered a wonderful young nurse during my hospital stay back in '04. She encouraged me to stay active to help speed up my recovery. Had one doctor who really looked out for me after the hospital's billing department sent up one of their representatives to screw with my head during what was easily the most horrific time in my Life. I honestly have more respect for the average non-violent white-collar criminal than I do for those who work in hospital billing.

Bus drivers in New York city have peace officer status. A lack of a union wouldn't be such an issue if certified security guards had peace officer status too.

Gil, PM me anytime. I'm not quite as active on the forums as I used to be. But I do check the site at least a couple of times a day. :)
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
spydie fanatic

Post by spydie fanatic »

Good story. I work security at a healthcare facility and luckily, I am unarmed; It is more a nightwatchman duty I perform. Its basically observe and report to authorities.

I understand the insight into the other officers actions/inactions. Minimal training is common in security. When it comes down to why, its always money; no one wants to pay $$$ to properly train their security personnel...and this means low wages, which in turn means less experienced individuals fill the uniforms. Basically a festering, breeding ground for potential trouble. I always said anyone serious about security would hire in-house and have them properly trained to their liking. Most private companies hire cheap contract security companies because having them onsite saves more money on their insurance than costs to hire them.

I think the only highly trained private security are either big name contractors operating overseas in afganistan/iraq and high-end VIP security, which are mostly all highly paid individuals with former infantry, MP, special operations, etc experience behind them.

The rest get a uniform, minimum or slightly above minimum wage and minimal training. Period.
"To Care for Those Who Shall Have Borne the Battle..." Abraham Lincoln

Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex :)
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

We here in the uk don't come across firearms in our day to day lives but the op is common sense issue , some of the most highly educated people I've met lack common sense or street sense.
It could have been a familiarity issue eg you and her knowing/ working together but if she broadsided you for all you knew it could have been somebody with malicious intent .
The amount of situations that result in tragic consequences in similar cases would probably be a surprise to some.