Just Plain STUPID!!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
raven

Just Plain STUPID!!!

Post by raven »

OK All, I just had to share this with the Spyderco Family. This actually happened last night while at work. So I'm posted in the Psych Area of the hospital and doing some paperwork as one of the nurses is scooting around behind me in a chair... What does she decide to do???

Well, the "Well Educated" :rolleyes: genius that she is, decides to grab the handle of my pistol to pull herself closer to the desk :eek: :eek: :eek: . HUGE No No!!! As soon as i feel the tug, my hand immediately goes over the top of her hand and holster and locks the pistol in place as I rip her hand away and proceed to lock up her arm. I was so PISSED :mad: :mad: :mad: !!! She looks at me with this shocked look on her face and shouts "What Are You Doing"??? I respond "No, What The **** Are You Doing... You NEVER touch or grab an officer's pistol"!!! "What's Wrong With You" :mad: :eek: !!!

I just couldn't believe she did that... Wow!!?? I explained to her why and hopefully she understood why not to do that... not even goofing around??? That's One of those things that LEOs don't take lightly and don't think of it as funny in any way.

Just thought I'd share that little story. Thanks for listening, Take Very Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks for sharing, Gil. Some folks just don't think about what they're doing. :eek: Stay safe.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's pretty crazy.

One time when i was about 10 years old or so, my mother was a manager at a restaurant, and so we'd eat there a lot. One afternoon we were there sitting at the bar when an officer sat down a few seats from us. Being a kid, i was fascinated with his gun and jokingly asked my mom to ask him if i could hold it. So, my mom being the firecracker that she is, gets up and goes over and asks the guy if her son could hold his gun. I sit there laughing because i'm sure there's no way he'll let me, but sure enough he gets up, walks over and drops the clip and clears the chamber and lays it on the bar in front of me. I was terrified and excited at the same time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

They don't know how your gun operates.

I guess she is lucky you don't carry it with the safety off (that could be a no no, too, but that doesn't mean some people won't ever do it) or that it couldn't misfire and that you didn't get shot in the leg or foot.

I believe that some nurses are well educated, but not all of them are well educated.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Tank

Post by Tank »

People never cease to amaze me.
-John
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

what...stuff that stupid people do surprises you still, you haven't been in public service long enough :p remember stupid people = job security for us.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

tonydahose wrote:what...stuff that stupid people do surprises you still, you haven't been in public service long enough :p remember stupid people = job security for us.
Words of wisdom, Tony! Thanks for giving me a big belly laugh today!

TedP
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

She is fortunately she didn't end up with a broken wrist or arm.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Donut wrote:They don't know how your gun operates.

I guess she is lucky you don't carry it with the safety off (that could be a no no, too, but that doesn't mean some people won't ever do it) or that it couldn't misfire and that you didn't get shot in the leg or foot.

I believe that some nurses are well educated, but not all of them are well educated.
Most Police nowadays carry striker fired autos with no manual safeties, Touch trigger, go boom.

The trends in military and police applications are moving to passive systems like grip safeties and safe-action triggers (accept with the 1911 coming back as gov issue sidearm for the marines!!! :D :D :D )
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

DCDesigns wrote:Most Police nowadays carry striker fired autos with no manual safeties, Touch trigger, go boom.

The trends in military and police applications are moving to passive systems like grip safeties and safe-action triggers (accept with the 1911 coming back as gov issue sidearm for the marines!!! :D :D :D )
I carry a number of guns that have no active safety to speak of. Your safety is between your ears, so they say.

2edgesword wrote:She is fortunately she didn't end up with a broken wrist or arm.
Or worse, I've had some retention training that utilizes a weak side blade... For most people that carry a gun (if not all) someone trying to take your weapon is an instant life or death situation, and has to be dealt with as such.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

tonydahose wrote:what...stuff that stupid people do surprises you still, you haven't been in public service long enough :p remember stupid people = job security for us.
I wish that were true, but tax payment is what keeps us public employees employed. A lot of people don't think about that part of the equation, hence we only have police for 16 hours a day even with an excess of stupid people here in north Eugene, OR.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hopefully the nurse learned a valuable lesson that night, Raven.

As a young CJ major several moons ago, the first *Cardinal Rule* that I learned from one of my LE buddies was that you NEVER touch--or even playfully reach for--an officer's firearm. The second rule is that you don't talk about donuts. Period. ;) (That's just a good way to get a swift kick in the pants!).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Gil,
I am sorry for the stress this caused you. Stupidity has no limits. I hope that this nurse learned a lesson. Stay safe.
+1
I remember, when I was in school, my friend was saying:" We need stupid students. They make us look good". Which was true and fortunately for us harmless. Unfortunately, there are stupid people, who can cause harm.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JD Spydo

Prozac Wonder Girl maybe??

Post by JD Spydo »

This sounds like a couple of women I'm having to deal with here where I'm currently working. I call them "Prozac Wonder Girls".

These 2 women that volunteer here where I'm working are so full of "head meds" that they can't even remove clothes from a dryer without putting them in 6 different containers.

Here in the area I'm living they give out psychotrophic drugs like M & M's candy or movie popcorn :eek:

I got one of the ladies to tell me all of the head meds she was on and it truly scared me beyond belief. She told me she was prescribed Zoloft ( a high powered version of Prozac), Ritilin, Xanax, Ativan, Lithium and another one called Abilify.

It makes me wonder if this nurse that did this may be on a menu of similar drugs. Because when they got them loaded on "head meds" there is literally nothing that would surprise me.

Brother I'm very thankful that nothing disasterous happened as a result of her complete stupidity. But the way they are handing out "head meds" like they are ball park peanuts truly makes me very fearful of being around such people.

Being she is a licensed nurse maybe she wasn't on head meds and just had a mental lapse but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that she was a Prozac Wonder Girl". Because of the gross stupidity of what she did is truly a hallmark of someone who is on them.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Wow! My wife is an RN but she would never do something like that to a LEO let alone anyone else. She is an excellent pistol shot and understands gun safety.

Too many nurses work very long shifts and have way too many patients; perhaps an overworked nurse making a bad decision?

On a lighter side, this story reminds me of that old Jim Croce song, You Don't Mess Around with Jim.
And they say, "You don't tug on Superman's cape,
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that ol' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
raven

Post by raven »

I don't think it's meds or mental lapse... I think it's pure complacency on the part of our Security Officers. The nurses are always goofing around with the security officers and the security officers don't really tell them anything and let them do whatever they want??? For the most part they have a real laid back type of attitude and they carry that on the job and it's a common practice. The majority of these officers don't have a LEO background and very very minimal training... if any, as far as officer safety goes.

It's different for me after just leaving my LEO position in Colorado and coming to a security position. After 14.5 (almost 15) years on the road, officer safety is just ingrained in me and it's just a natural reaction to protect my weapon at all times when on-duty.

The other officers need to come to the realization that no matter what environment their in, they need to be alert and aware of their surroundings. If they don't ... I'm afraid they're in for a REAL Rude and Harsh lesson... REAL Soon :eek: .

@ Pinetreebbs, I noticed you live in SC as well. Where is your wife an RN at??? Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Pinetreebbs wrote:On a lighter side, this story reminds me of that old Jim Croce song, You Don't Mess Around with Jim.
We always used to sing the lyric "You don't spit into the wind" a bit differently when I was younger... :rolleyes:

TedP
JLS

Post by JLS »

Modern guns in proper function order don't fire unless they're told to do so...by pulling the trigger. That's why any good holster covers the trigger and for that reason, he clamped his hand over hers to keep it in the holster. A gun securely in it's holster (that covers the trigger) can't fire which means the officer (or civilian) can't get shot by his own gun.

Raven, in a strange way, was it satisfying to know that all of your training paid off when you reflexively countered her action? At least you acted according to your training, rather than reacted like most others would.

Stay safe out there.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Perhaps because of the interaction between the nursing and security staff Raven referred to, it just seemed perfectly natural and unremarkable to her to use the handle of his weapon as a hand hold. Personally, it would no more occur to me to reach for an LEO's weapon than it would to jump off a cliff. In fact, it would never occur to me to eff around with any of the equipment they have to lug around on their belts, lethal or otherwise. I guess suicide by cop just isn't my bag, daddy-o!

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Wow...

That is all. :eek: