Apparently to some, any knife is a weapon

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Paradiggum

Apparently to some, any knife is a weapon

Post by Paradiggum »

So I generally carry a Delica 4 and a Case Peanut along with a SAK on my keychain. I work in an office so only the peanut is in pocket during work hours.
Last week I was talking to a co-worker about car kits, survival bags and so on. He's been talking about how he wants to set his and his wife's car up with some supplies. So I told him to come out to my car after work and I'd show him what I have.
I showed him the stuff in my car and he again said that he needs to get some things so he's prepared. I mentioned that it's always good to have a flashlight and pocket knife on your person. I showed him my small Fenix and showed him my peanut. Upon seeing the peanut he exclaimed, "Boy you could kill someone with that." At first I thought he was joking, but realized he wasn't. I said, "Well, I could kill someone with a book if I was motivated enough. This peanut is just a small handy pocket knife. It's a tool, not an offensive weapon."
I think it's odd how some people view any knife outside of a kitchen knife as a weapon. I'm glad I didn't show him my woods bumming bag. He'd have freaked out at the larger knife in that.
I had someone freak out over a Delica 3 about 6 years ago, so I stopped carrying anything larger than a peanut to work. It's not against policy but I stopped due to the freak out factor this one woman had. Makes me wonder if anyone else I work with would think they were in danger knowing a Case peanut was in the office. I've used it to open paper boxes but I've always been discreet with it.
Makes me feel like I should leave the knife at home and chew my way through anything I would normally cut. Heh
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I see all kinds of reactions from the vast diversity of people I call acquaintances. I have had some ask to borrow my knife and not even raise an eyebrow when I handed her my Manix 2, yet another woman whom my wife & I see frequently made a huge deal in a public venue one day saying, "wow... how many weapons do you have on you?" This after seeing me cut my wife's sandwich in half using my Dragonfly 2. Guess you never know how some sheeple will react to a tool being as intended.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A weapon is just a tool with harmful intent. Kitchen knives are far more terrifying than a Delica...
computernut

Post by computernut »

Most of my coworkers are ok with my knife and flashlight hobby and some have actually started buying real knives and flashlights rather than the cheap hardware store stuff. But there was one colleague who was shocked that I would carry a knife of any size, he didn't understand why anyone would carry a knife. Through my experience with him I just peg him as a city-slicker who has grown up his whole life in the comforts of the city and civilization :rolleyes: Growing up in a smaller northern town every man I knew had a knife in their pocket and a flashlight in their truck.
The Student

Post by The Student »

I remember way back into elementary school we learned about simple machines, and if I recall correctly a wedge is considered one, while the textbook didn't say "knife" I remember my teacher using it as an example. I guess not everyone got the same lesson. Later on in life, but not much later, I learned tools could hurt people if not used correctly. So the lesson ends; knives are tools that if not used correctly can hurt you or someone else. Simple logic that applies to anything really, albeit I do try to be respectful to other peoples views and try to stay low-key when I use a knife in public. If someone does see my knife and say something I just remember back to elementary school and disregard there comments as it is only a tool, nothing more.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Yeah, it's a little frustrating. I managed to get most of my co-workers 'used' to my knives, but generally carried nothing bigger than a Delica/Caly3 - and that was saved for Fridays. Mon-Thur was some combo of Navigator, Dragonfly, Charparral, etc. I wont get into the topic of even people who have knives not understanding why anyone would have more than one good knife...
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
MsbS

Post by MsbS »

computernut wrote:[...] I just peg him as a city-slicker who has grown up his whole life in the comforts of the city and civilization [...]
That definition would suit me quite well - though I do see the benefit of having a knife on me. Having said that, I only got into the whole knife business about a year ago, and now I have a Victorinox Rescue Tool in my car's glove box, a Mora Companion in the trunk, a Bug-sized keychain knife, and usually a multitool or a folding knife on me. And it makes me feel more safe - or rather, prepared.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Im fortunate that in my profession knives are often used on a daily basis. All my co-workers have knives, most of them just use retractable stanley replaceable blade things, but most can appreciate a good blade.
I usually have a para 2 sized folder and my delica on me and my dodo in the toolbox, most of them would never think of spending so much on a knife, but they all like playing with them, and guess who they look to when they need one :p

When my partner told me she used a pen to open boxes at her work I gave her a jester to use, she came home the first day and told me that someone had remarked about it being "an offensive weapon" and how "scarily sharp" it was, I reassured her that a knife was a tool and she had every right to carry and use it. After a few months she complained that the jester was too small, so I got her a d4 which she was hesitant to take to work for fear of a similar reaction to the jester. The irony is that she works in a kitchen on a military base, so I simply said next time someone makes a remark about your pocket knife point their attention to the 8" fixed blade hanging off the chef's belt!
She came home and told me how everyone liked the delica, told me all the different things she used it for and now often carries it around the house etc.

Some people will never get it though :confused:
I see, said the blind man.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Paradiggum wrote:So I generally carry a Delica 4 and a Case Peanut along with a SAK on my keychain. I work in an office so only the peanut is in pocket during work hours.
Last week I was talking to a co-worker about car kits, survival bags and so on. He's been talking about how he wants to set his and his wife's car up with some supplies. So I told him to come out to my car after work and I'd show him what I have.
I showed him the stuff in my car and he again said that he needs to get some things so he's prepared. I mentioned that it's always good to have a flashlight and pocket knife on your person. I showed him my small Fenix and showed him my peanut. Upon seeing the peanut he exclaimed, "Boy you could kill someone with that." At first I thought he was joking, but realized he wasn't. I said, "Well, I could kill someone with a book if I was motivated enough. This peanut is just a small handy pocket knife. It's a tool, not an offensive weapon."
I think it's odd how some people view any knife outside of a kitchen knife as a weapon. I'm glad I didn't show him my woods bumming bag. He'd have freaked out at the larger knife in that.
I had someone freak out over a Delica 3 about 6 years ago, so I stopped carrying anything larger than a peanut to work. It's not against policy but I stopped due to the freak out factor this one woman had. Makes me wonder if anyone else I work with would think they were in danger knowing a Case peanut was in the office. I've used it to open paper boxes but I've always been discreet with it.
Makes me feel like I should leave the knife at home and chew my way through anything I would normally cut. Heh
This is why you always keep an apple in your other pocket so you can whip it out and say "No no, see I cut apples with this!" :rolleyes:
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

enduraguy wrote:This is why you always keep an apple in your other pocket so you can whip it out and say "No no, see I cut apples with this!" :rolleyes:
Call the Police! He's a Fruit Assassin! :eek:

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Clip

Post by Clip »

Is that an apple in your pocket or...oh, it is. Never mind.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Paradiggum wrote: I think it's odd how some people view any knife outside of a kitchen knife as a weapon. I'm glad I didn't show him my woods bumming bag. He'd have freaked out at the larger knife in that.
Though I have no way to verify it, I'd wager more stabbings and killings happen with kitchen knives than any other variety.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

When I worked for NY State, there were folks in the office who were "concerned" when I used a 3" to 3.5" Spyderco to cut food in my cubicle, but thought absolutely nothing about the assortment of kitchen knives with considerably longer blades that sat on a table not ten feet from there 24-7.
FroOchie wrote:Though I have no way to verify it, I'd wager more stabbings and killings happen with kitchen knives than any other variety.
True, and in a fair percentage of them the person doing the stabbing and/or slashing is a woman.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The whole kitchen knife vs. folder thing is hilarious because it's so true. Just about every adult in this country has handled a large chef's knife and never thought twice about it, but you pull out a Delica and you're Jack the Ripper. I'm so glad i live far enough into the country that it isn't as big of a deal as it is in major cities.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tautisg1

Post by tautisg1 »

Oh man, don't even get me started on this topic. I live in the UK, an AWFUL country for knives, guns, anything exciting. Pulling out a SAK in public is likely to get the cops on you. Even though its legal. I HATE it when people think of others as criminals just because they have a tool that's been around for thousands of years.
ghostdancer

Post by ghostdancer »

I work in a Nuke Power Plant. Any knife I bring in through security has been OK. I regulary carry an Emerson CQC-15, an Endura, and I just ordered an Emerson Endura. My partner across the hall did a major order with Knife Center, $1200, He brought the box in so we could both see the goodies, about 15-20 knives all at once...no problem!!!
Paradiggum

Post by Paradiggum »

Well this guy was born and has always lived in the city. He's never been camping and it wasn't until a week or so ago that he bought his first flashlight. We had storms come through not too long ago and he sat for days in the dark. I talked him into getting something. Not sure what he bought though. He's in his 30s. Not that it makes a difference but to think he didn't even own a flashlight.....

As for having an apple, I eat one just about every day. I don't even want to think who would freak if I started cutting fruit with my knife.
He didn't freak out about the knife. But the comment took me a little by surprise. The fact that he saw any knife as a weapon bothered me.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

There are people who gets freaked out by a Victorinox classic (you know the dinky little keychain knife), really nothing you can do other than smile on the surface and say "you are a freakin idiot" in your head.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

The flat head screwdriver is the weapon of choice for a criminal not a $50.00+ knife.
My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I'm glad to work in a place where everyone carries a knife of some sort. Mostly junk of course, but I'm making converts. Alway gifted a Byrd G10 Robin and a Ladybug.