Machetes

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dgulbra

Machetes

Post by dgulbra »

I have been getting into machetes recently and am wondering what everyone else uses/recommends. I recently purchased 2 Condors, a Cold Steel and an Ontario. I'm also looking to buy a 16" Fiddleback Forge.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
Eee

Post by Eee »

Svord :D

Convex, differentially HT'ed L6. It seems a bit harder at the edge than many machetes so it takes a cracking edge.

Unfortunately this is a rubbish pic of it, but you get the idea.

You are
What you do
When it counts
- The Masao
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I seldom use a machete so never was willing to put a lot of money into one. I spent about $20 on a 18" Cold Steel machete a couple of years ago and have used it 5 or 6 times. It has done a very good job for me. I recommend it for people like me but it's the only one I've ever used so I don't know how the better and/or more expensive ones perform. If someone used one more often or for tougher work than light brush a different one may be needed.

There is another thread talking about using a chisel grind on knife blades. Anyone know about chisel grinds on machetes?

Jack
JD Spydo

Whatever happened to Martindale?

Post by JD Spydo »

The British made "Martindale" machete is a very fine piece of equipment ( that is if you can find one).

I happen to have 2 factory second Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri blades that I personally use as machetes even though they are truly classified as knives with the type of steel they are made of. My Cold Steel HTC Gurkha (15 inch blade of Carbon V) and my very heavy thick spined CS Gurkha with the 5/16ths thick spine ( also with CArbon V) both do about anything I need a machete for.

I don't know whatever happened to the Martindale machetes because back in the 90s I heard many people talking highly of them. But I haven't even seen one for sale in a long time. I would be interested to know the fate of that company if anyone knows.

But again I find Cold Steel's Gurkha Kukri blades to do excellent work when a machete is needed. I've heard good and bad about Condor who seems to be the chart leader at the present time. But I would sure like to compare a few others before ever purchasing one.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

When I started building my house last January, I bought a tramontina and a crcodile. My carpenters used it to clear brush initially(you wouldn't believe how rough these guys are on gear, they eff everything up) but for the whole time they never managed to kill both the tramontina and the crocodile.

Aotea

Post by Aotea »

I carry and use a machete often when in the valley. Sharpening stakes and fence posts before driving them, clearing small areas of scrub and long grass in and around the orchards and tending to the bananas. I have tramontina's in the latin, panga and bolo styles but my main go to one is a latin 20''. Tramontina is cheap so I don't care if I hit a rock or a stone as I often do. I just grind or file the ding out. Every couple of weeks I spend a minute giving the edge a rub with a dry and very coarse stone to give a good enough edge for my uses.

Eee

Post by Eee »

JD Spydo wrote:The British made "Martindale" machete is a very fine piece of equipment ( that is if you can find one).

I happen to have 2 factory second Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri blades that I personally use as machetes even though they are truly classified as knives with the type of steel they are made of. My Cold Steel HTC Gurkha (15 inch blade of Carbon V) and my very heavy thick spined CS Gurkha with the 5/16ths thick spine ( also with CArbon V) both do about anything I need a machete for.

I don't know whatever happened to the Martindale machetes because back in the 90s I heard many people talking highly of them. But I haven't even seen one for sale in a long time. I would be interested to know the fate of that company if anyone knows.

But again I find Cold Steel's Gurkha Kukri blades to do excellent work when a machete is needed. I've heard good and bad about Condor who seems to be the chart leader at the present time. But I would sure like to compare a few others before ever purchasing one.
Martindales are still freely available on this side of the pond. I understand that like Tramontinas they often need a bit of fettling to make them just so, but you can't expect Spyderco levels of fit an finish on tools this cheap.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the brush hook. The same pattern is made by Gerber, Wilkinson Sword and Fiskars and it is the tool I reach for first for any sort of chopping or clearance work.

You are
What you do
When it counts
- The Masao
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

My current favorite of the ones I have is the cheapest one I own. The sub $30 Condor 18" Eco light is great for lopping limbs and is a decent chopper even though its 5/64' thick. It came with the best edge I've seen on a cheap machete and is light enough to use all day. A decent handle and a sheath to boot, its quickly become my favorite workhorse.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

Eee wrote:Svord :D

Convex, differentially HT'ed L6. It seems a bit harder at the edge than many machetes so it takes a cracking edge.

Unfortunately this is a rubbish pic of it, but you get the idea.

I have been looking for a good 12" bush machete
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I've been pretty happy with all of my inexpensive Tramontina machetes. I also have the ESEE machete, which is just an Imacasa blade with ESEE's excellent micarta handle - and I do like it, but it is quite a bit more expensive.

Whatever you do, don't get one of those Wally-world mystery metal machetes :D .

I grew up in Peru, used machetes quite a bit. Most of the ones we used were Collins, and they worked well but they all had plastic handles that always cracked.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The main problem with most of the really cheap machetes I've owned and used is that the handle tends to come apart if you try to really use it.

I have an Ontario machete that was maybe around 25 bucks - it's a 22" sawback, basically a slightly longer version of the standard military issue model. 1095 steel, takes a nice edge and is long and heavy enough to clear some fairly heavy stuff and chop small (I'd say probably 5" and smaller mostly) trees and whatnot. Well worth the money, and the handle is nice and stout (though I do like to keep a wrist lanyard on it to keep it from becoming a deadly projectile while using it-the ergos could be improved a bit when it comes to retention).
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

defenestrate wrote:The main problem with most of the really cheap machetes I've owned and used is that the handle tends to come apart if you try to really use it.

I have an Ontario machete that was maybe around 25 bucks - it's a 22" sawback, basically a slightly longer version of the standard military issue model. 1095 steel, takes a nice edge and is long and heavy enough to clear some fairly heavy stuff and chop small (I'd say probably 5" and smaller mostly) trees and whatnot. Well worth the money, and the handle is nice and stout (though I do like to keep a wrist lanyard on it to keep it from becoming a deadly projectile while using it-the ergos could be improved a bit when it comes to retention).
Try a tramontina. Around 20 bucks. You won't be able to kill it unless you use a vice, a cheater bar, and a hockey mask.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The Tramontina is on my short list for machetes.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

defenestrate wrote:The main problem with most of the really cheap machetes I've owned and used is that the handle tends to come apart if you try to really use it
Def I couldn't agree with you more. Machetes are one tool that it is really hard to find a quality unit anywhere. The Ontario you speak of is made here in the USA ( thank GOD) and is of really decent quality. I've had a couple of Ontario's machetes and I wish I had both of them back. But for now I'm content with my 2 Cold Steel Carbon V Gurkha Kukri blades.

Other than Ontario I don't even know of any American manufacturer I could recommend anyone to. When I was in the tree trimming and tree removal business many of the supply catalogs we had sold some good units. They were all big on that Woodsman's Pal which you see advertised a lot even in the knife magazines. I've heard that the company that makes the Woodsman's Pal machete also does make some other nice tools. The one arborist's catalog I remember that had a nice selection was the "Bailey's" catalog. I believe they were out of Tennesee if my memory is working right this morning.

But you're not kidding about 95% of all the machetes you see for sale being total trash because they are. WE have some really nice hardware stores here in the Kansas City area that sell really top quality merchandise for the most part but even they only have the typical 3rd World **** hole made trash that would fall apart on you the first time you would use it. It's also getting really hard to find a good quality ax or splitting maul. If you have one of the really good older Collins axes or mauls you better hold on to it because I've heard they are now making all of their stuff overseas.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!