18 ways to tie your shoes

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sequimite

18 ways to tie your shoes

Post by Sequimite »

Almost a decade ago I found this site and discovered better ways to tie my shoes. The Ian Knot is the one I use - faster and less likely to come untied. As often as you tie your shoes it's worth it to learn a more efficient method.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
dialex

Post by dialex »

Wow, thanks for the link. Most instructive. Who would have thought that such a common thing like tying shoelaces can be in fact pretty sophisticated?
Not to mention that my son still has problems tying shoelaces, so this is really useful. :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Clip

Post by Clip »

I've used that a few times to relace my shoes. Right now I've got the spiderweb lacing since it reduces lace length a good bit.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

That is very cool, thanks for posting.
JLS

Post by JLS »

dialex wrote:Wow, thanks for the link. Most instructive. Who would have thought that such a common thing like tying shoelaces can be in fact pretty sophisticated?
Not to mention that my son still has problems tying shoelaces, so this is really useful. :)
Agreed. Wow. I just never gave shoe laces that much thought. I'll also be trying some of the lacing techniques for my boots that have lots of eyelets.

Thanks for posting, Sequimite!
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Interesting, but i'm skeptical that my ~25 or so years of tying shoes the same way will ever change. It'd be a hard habit to break. I must say though, the "two loop" version is the easiest way to teach a young child to tie their shoes. I used that one on my son until he was older and could understand and had the dexterity for the other typical way to tie.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

i find some of those needlessly complicated. You want to get them off at some point right? lol. I dont think I will be altering my bunny ears technique. If I want it more secure, I double knot the loops.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I didn't change knots, but had fun playing with methods of lacing. I tried the spyderweb lacing method, and feels as though it distributes the tightness a lot better than normal lacing. That and it looks pretty good.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Sequimite wrote:Almost a decade ago I found this site and discovered better ways to tie my shoes. The Ian Knot is the one I use - faster and less likely to come untied. As often as you tie your shoes it's worth it to learn a more efficient method.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
I bookmarked this. I had no idea there were so many different ways to tie shoes.
Now, I'm going to wow and amaze family and friends with my new-found skills. :)
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

DCDesigns wrote:I find some of those needlessly complicated. You want to get them off at some point right? lol. I dont think I will be altering my bunny ears technique. If I want it more secure, I double knot the loops.
+1

I use the bunny ear version myself. Tying knots can be fun. You need to know several of them though. But for shoes, one technique is really all you need. The Same method I use for tying shoes and sneakers also works great for tying off sweat pants.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder: