Ping: jackknifeh or others -- Sharpen Scissors on Apex

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Monsjic

Ping: jackknifeh or others -- Sharpen Scissors on Apex

Post by Monsjic »

Hi,

I found a thread that references there is a way ("cheat") to use the Apex to sharpen scissors. I have spent 30 minutes looking for this in the forum, but I can't find it.

How can I do this? Would love to see the thread. I have lots of dull scissors I'd like to work on.

Thanks!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Welcom to the forum. Just so you know, there is such a thing as a private message here. calling out, or "pinging" as you say, a member specifically in a title is kind of weird. A PM would be much more efficient at getting in touch with jack. Then you post a general question.

Personally I cannot help you. But I am jealous of your sharpening system. I plan on getting one soon!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

to sharpen scissors i just fold tinfoil 4-5 times and then cut it in strips with the scissors till they get sharp.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

tonydahose wrote:to sharpen scissors i just fold tinfoil 4-5 times and then cut it in strips with the scissors till they get sharp.
Does that really work? I wonder if you could do the same thing with polishing tapes or lapping films...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Lay the inside edge of one scissor blade on the FRONT of the blade table with the edge up. Inside (cutting) side of the blade needs to be against the EP, not facing you. With the blade edge parralel and a little bit higher than the edge of the blade table hold it there with a pair of vise grips. Use cardboard or something to keep from marring the scissor. Don't clamp so tight that it cracks the EP. It is made of plastic of some sort. Get the vise grips just tight enough to hold the scissor secure enough to not move as you stroke it with the stones.

Now that it is mounted, set the edge angle of the EP the same way you do to match the edge of a knife. Using a marker helps with this of course. This works fine and the "trick" is like gold compared to buying the professional EP and the scissor attachment. :) That setup would be at least $300 more than an Apex costs.

I pass this trick to you on this forum with the knowledge that this forum is where I learned about it. Nothing better than a great place for knowledge.

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »