Slowly fixing my errors...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Slowly fixing my errors...

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

So I tried to improve the slightly dull edge on my zt 350 by hand, with a ceramic rod, and somehow I incredibly botched the job. It would barely even tear paper. A few days ago, I ordered a spyderco sharpmaker, and after receiving it in the mail, and about 3 hours of deliberation today, most of the edge can slice paper effortlessly. The rest of the edge just bends materials without cutting them... :( I think part of the problem is the edge bevel from the factory was crooked from the get go, but I've never attempted to sharpen it in the 3 years that I've owned it until a few weeks ago. I suppose I could try to send it to kershaw to see if they could replace the blade... Does anyone know if the warranty covers this kind of thing?
maa14

Post by maa14 »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:So I tried to improve the slightly dull edge on my zt 350 by hand, with a ceramic rod, and somehow I incredibly botched the job. It would barely even tear paper. A few days ago, I ordered a spyderco sharpmaker, and after receiving it in the mail, and about 3 hours of deliberation today, most of the edge can slice paper effortlessly. The rest of the edge just bends materials without cutting them... :( I think part of the problem is the edge bevel from the factory was crooked from the get go, but I've never attempted to sharpen it in the 3 years that I've owned it until a few weeks ago. I suppose I could try to send it to kershaw to see if they could replace the blade... Does anyone know if the warranty covers this kind of thing?
What do you mean crooked?
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

On one side, the bevel was quite a bit larger than the other side.
maa14

Post by maa14 »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:On one side, the bevel was quite a bit larger than the other side.
Ok so what part of the edge isn't getting sharp, the recurve or the belly? Also you might not be hitting the actual edge of the knife so I would reccomend you take a sharpie/magic marker and completely color in the bevel and try the sharpmaker again doing 2 swipes per side then look at the sharpie and if you are hitting the edge you will see the marker removed all the way to the edge. If you are not hitting the edge with the stones you will see the marker removed on part of the bevel, but not on the edge.
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley