Since many of you seem to be EDC'ers...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
FroOchie

Since many of you seem to be EDC'ers...

Post by FroOchie »

Does anyone else have a soft spot in their heart for Maxpedtion's product line?

I have a few dodecapod's to hold my knives when not in use which are really impressive quality except for the fact that they're hellishly linty.

But the fit and finish of those pieces got me in getting the Kodiak gear slinger with a Monkey Admin Pouch designed by Mil-Spec Monkey keep in the car.

Recently I just got my hands on the Versipack Jumbo with a Fatty organizer inside and I'm in love with my man purse (a name that is supposed to be insulting but is just a reminder that woman have been in the know much longer than men).

These bags and organizers are really impressive. I know there are more affordable options but for as long as I hold onto something I have no fear that these won't make it through the rest of my life.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I EDC a Remora gearslinger everyday. Love it! I'm getting the 12x4 water bottle holder soon for my day hikes.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have looked at several of the Maxpedition line and almost purchased a Sitka-S or Monsoon. I found 5.11 to be a better value with lots of great features and better ergos. The Moab 10 is a great bag and I was able to get it for $60 on closeout.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

xceptnl wrote:I have looked at several of the Maxpedition line and almost purchased a Sitka-S or Monsoon. I found 5.11 to be a better value with lots of great features and better ergos. The Moab 10 is a great bag and I was able to get it for $60 on closeout.
5.11 looked good to me too but they were running more expensive then the comparable Max's. Sounds like you got a great deal.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

It was a great deal. On a side note, I waited and watched patiently to find the great price on that bag and then I jumped on it. The molle webbing allows for multiple pouches for even more of my gear. This allows me to carry 3 different folding blades, a full size multitool and a Mule as well everyday.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

Post by 1623 »

I have an Anemone pouch that's been with me every day for the last year and I really like it. Impressed with the quality, I also picked up a Fatboy GTG and a Micro Organizer.

While I do agree that some of their products are pricey, I've found these particular items to be affordable and worth their respective cost given the quality, durability and function.

Maxpedition seems to have fans as well as critics, but I have absolutely no qualms with their gear thus far.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I have looked at a few a number of times, but I find the sound of the nylon to just be far too annoying. I have been looking for something similar in Canvas...but no luck so far. Feel free to point me in the direction anything you know that is canvas...
On the hunt for...
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

I have a spartan wallet, a pygmy II back pack and various accessories, stuff is so well built. The nylon softens up with use I've found.
I see, said the blind man.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I almost bought a jumbo versipack, and one of the backpacks, but eventually decided against them as they are too tactical looking. Not a problem if you are in the woods all day but really out of place in downtown core.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
I looked at several Max packs, but they were a little over my budget.
I ended up getting a Condor medium assault pack and a Red Rock sling bag.
Both were cheaper the the Max offerings, and so far, have served me quite well as edc bags.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not really. Their stuff may wear well, but I find the few pieces I've purchased to be uncomfortably stiff.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cubsfan1969

Post by cubsfan1969 »

My murse: Malaga with the 6x6 pouch in front, the mini organizer top left, and just below that one with the firesteel is a Skinth. Other side is that round pouch I forget the name of, and I usually have a FB attached above that pouch. This is my contribution to "tacticool". :p

Ps- Max customer service is top notch.

enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I have one of their "Micro" wallets. Love it. ID pocket and enough room for the few cards and cash I typically carry. Fits in any pocket with very little profile.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I just got a Fatboy type -S. Waiting to get home to open it. Looking forward to my murse.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I think maxpedtion bags are worth the money. The pouches and organizers seem high which keeps me from buying.
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

The Deacon wrote:Not really. Their stuff may wear well, but I find the few pieces I've purchased to be uncomfortably stiff.
I can see that but like some of the others have said they do break in... a bit. lol That rugged stiffness is really what I liked about the bags though but I guess that's not for everyone. Glad to some others liking their stuff as much as me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wish my life was exciting enough to justify something like that, but my boring urban/work life doesn't really need so much. I also like to travel as light as possible. The only backpacks i use are this huge L.L. Bean pack i picked up for $5 at a yardsale..it's a really nice pack, and then i have my old school Jansport that i had in high school. It's black canvas with a leather bottom...that pack has held up to 15 years of random use and abuse.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Evil D wrote:I wish my life was exciting enough to justify something like that, but my boring urban/work life doesn't really need so much. I also like to travel as light as possible. The only backpacks i use are this huge L.L. Bean pack i picked up for $5 at a yardsale..it's a really nice pack, and then i have my old school Jansport that i had in high school. It's black canvas with a leather bottom...that pack has held up to 15 years of random use and abuse.

haha, my life isn't that exciting either but the little pack is really going to come in handy for my work. My big bag will probably never see use but I'm happy knowing it's in my trunk in case.
JD Spydo

No Max>> Been using Victorinox

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm sort of ashamed to say that I've yet to own anything in the Maxpedition line. Although it appears that they have very high quality gear and I'm sure I will own something of theirs down the road.

At this present time I have several carrying gear items made by Victorinox ( the Swiss ARMY Knife Company). I've had excellent luck with all the items I've bought from them. Their fanny packs are truly the best ones out there that I've ever used. Their backpacks and other accessories are all very competitive as far as I can see.

Anyone know of a good dealer for Maxpedition? I've yet to hook up with one. I would think this "survival/prepper" movement that has taken hold here in the USA is probably giving all these companies and good piece of the market pie in that arena.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Post by 1623 »

JD Spydo wrote: Anyone know of a good dealer for Maxpedition? I've yet to hook up with one. I would think this "survival/prepper" movement that has taken hold here in the USA is probably giving all these companies and good piece of the market pie in that arena.
They seem to have many online dealers, though some are very limited with inventory, while others are over priced. You'll find Maxpedition products at most of the usual knife dealers that are mentioned here as well.

Personally, I've had nothing but positive dealings with Going Gear on multiple occasions...really nice folks and tons of cool gear.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.