Tuf-Glide performs well on Case pocket knife

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Tuf-Glide performs well on Case pocket knife

Post by jackknifeh »

I recently got a Case pocket knife with two blades of chrome vanadium (CV) steel which is non-stainless. I put Tuf-Glide on one blade and left the other untreated. The untreated blade formed a significant patina immediately after being used to cut potatoes. The blade with TG is still like brand new. Two blades of the same steel used the same way and TG is the only thing difference and the TG did a great job.

Just another example of TG use for anyone interested.

sdf
MsbS

Post by MsbS »

I'm always quite hesitant about using chemicals on food knife. I know the producer says TG is non-toxic, but is it also tasteless and odorless? What's your experience?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

MsbS wrote:I'm always quite hesitant about using chemicals on food knife. I know the producer says TG is non-toxic, but is it also tasteless and odorless? What's your experience?
I have a couple of feeling about things like this. Sentry Solutions says it's safe to use TG on knife blades used in food prep, however they suggest washing the blade before use. I never use TG on kitchen knives because they are always used for food prep and washed often. My pocket knives I seldom use for food prep. Usually when another knife is not available. In my opinion I'm safe. Also, I don't just put TG on a blade and leave it. After a little drying time I wipe off all excess leaving only what has "bonded" to the steel according to Sentry Solutions. When I used the Case knife I used the untreated blade to cut the potatoes. The blade with TG I only wiped some potato peel on it trying to force a patina which never happened. Therefore no TG actually got on the food we ate (me and grandson). I would take a chance with me but never would I perform a test like this and subject him to any possibility of harm.

Another feeling I have about companies and their product statements is they have to cover their butts legally. I think TG won't hurt anyone unless you drink it. Just because the FDA hasn't approved it doesn't mean it's bad for you. If it has been determined to be had there would be a warning on the TG label I'm sure. Even so, I still won't use it on kitchen knives.

Jack
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I would be reluctant to use anything if there were any doubt about it`s safety,but if it has not done you any harm,than it probably is safe.I use Mineral oil on all of my kitchen knives,it is safe for kitchen knives, or pocket knives that could also be used around food,I have several times used my pocket knife to cut my sandwich in two.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Jack, pictures or it never happened. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
MsbS

Post by MsbS »

I agree with you that the company would never risk litigation - if they say it is non-toxic, it must have been tested thoroughly (it might still cause an allergic reaction, but that's a different story).
But it would also be quite bad if the oil/lubricant/coating changed the taste or smell of your food. When I was a kid, my grandpa would give me slices of apple that he made with his carbon steel pen knife - I can still remember that the taste was quite different from unsliced apple :)

Tuf-Glide sounds tempting though - not just for blade protection, but potentially also for better cutting properties. Knife tends to get stuck in some materials (such as cheeses) - less traction could actually make cutting easier and less messy.
Clip

Post by Clip »

From Sentry concerning toxicity:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... post689547

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... post689550

After reading this, I would not hesitate to apply Tuf-Glide to carbon steel knives used in the kitchen, especially because they'll be fixed blades and have no pivot to hold moisture/trash/excess lubricant. I'd just be sure to apply and let sit for a week or to to be sure the carrier (mineral spirits, IIRC) has evaporated. As for folders, I've applied it to the M4 Manix2, over the blade and pivot, and would use that for food prep if the need ever arose. I make sure to apply and get a good coating, but then spend a few days cleaning all the remainder out with a q-tip as it collects a bit of dust or looks wet. After a few weeks of carry and I'm sure it's not juicy any more, I'd feel ok using it on edibles.

Tasteless? I'm not sure, never tried it when wet. Dry, can't tell. A hint of carbon steel. Odorless? When wet, **** no. Some people are offended by the smell (I can see why), but just smells like most other lubricants/cleaners in the shop. When dry, can't tell.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Donut wrote:Jack, pictures or it never happened. :p
Took me a minute. Sorry. I don't know how this will look. Taken with a "not so great phone camera" (excuses, excuses, :) ).
The attachment Case patina comparison.jpg is no longer available
I took several pictures at different angles and this was the best one (so far).

Jack
edit: I'll try to get pictures outside. The patina is much more apparent in the sunlight as is the lack of patina on the other blade. I just hope the camera picks it up.
Attachments
Case patina comparison.jpg
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Here is a picture taken outside. It's blurry because I couldn't hold the camera still. It shows the mirror capability still on the short blade and the patina on the longer one.

The attachment Case patina (2).jpg is no longer available
Jack
Attachments
Case patina (2).jpg
Donut

Post by Donut »

That works, I can see it.

Thanks for the comparison.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I applied Tuf Glide to the blades 3 - 4 weeks ago and have carried the Case knife in my pocket every day. I noticed some rust yesterday on the top of the spines of both blades. The sides of the knife look good. I used a gentle abrasive accessory on my Dremel to remove the rust and applied Tuf-Glide again. The Case knife is the only non-stainless steel I've owned except for M4. Any M4 I've owned has been carried 90% of the time in a pouch. Maybe the blades need to be wiped with a Tuf-cloth more often than every 3 weeks. I was surprised though. I thought TG was supposed to last longer. What is funny is the only place rust occurred is where the spine would tough the cloth in my pockets. I guess it takes direct contact with sweat. I hope that means inside the pivot is pretty safe.

Jack
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

jackknifeh wrote:I applied Tuf Glide to the blades 3 - 4 weeks ago and have carried the Case knife in my pocket every day. I noticed some rust yesterday on the top of the spines of both blades. The sides of the knife look good. I used a gentle abrasive accessory on my Dremel to remove the rust and applied Tuf-Glide again. The Case knife is the only non-stainless steel I've owned except for M4. Any M4 I've owned has been carried 90% of the time in a pouch. Maybe the blades need to be wiped with a Tuf-cloth more often than every 3 weeks. I was surprised though. I thought TG was supposed to last longer. What is funny is the only place rust occurred is where the spine would tough the cloth in my pockets. I guess it takes direct contact with sweat. I hope that means inside the pivot is pretty safe.

Jack
The spine does have more contact with the pocket than the sides of the blade,therefore rubbing the Tuf-Glide off.Maybe an extra coat on the spine would solve that issue,we hope.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've had similar results to yours, Jack. A light coat of TufGlide once every few weeks will keep even the most fussy steels patina and rust free. I have also used TG on a blade that I use occasionally for cutting up fruit - and have never noticed any residue or taste. I just wipe the blade clean before and after the cutting and that seems to do the trick. Once TG dries after the initial application - it seems pretty inert.

I'm sold on the stuff.

Oh yeah! One other use for it is to coat the axles of your son's Cub Scout Pinewood Derby cars. I used it on the axles after polishing the axles smooth, let it dry, then used some BP2000 dry lubricant on the wheels before the race. We won the division!

TedP