Better steel for the Sebenza

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Better steel for the Sebenza

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

So S30V or S35VN...they are both treated to 58-59 on the Sebenza.

But for those of you that have or have used both, which do you prefer?

I know a guy that has a small S30V for sale...and I was wondering if having the S30V is better or worse for edge retention at that hardness range?

I know they are supposed to be the same for edge retention, but real life use, which do you prefer?
On the hunt for...
jossta

Post by jossta »

I feel like any differences between these steels are on paper. Probably not a big enough difference to get one over the other. I don't have any knives with either though, so maybe I should shut up...
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

There was major drama about S35vn right when it came out. It supposedly couldn't keep and edge. I believe the main difference is that S35vn polishes better. I have an S30v sebenza and an S35vn native. I really can't tell much difference between them. Someone else with more experience with both may notice a larger difference.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I've owned a Sebenza with S30V before, after using Spyderco's version of the same steel I really wasn't impressed with the edge retention on my Sebenza. Really what's the point of using S30V when you are only going to take it
to 58rc at the most? Hopefully the treat S35VN a little harder.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Well they say 58-59...Spyderco does it 59-60 I think. Which is a large-ish difference. But I'm still curious if at the same hardness range of 58-59, if one actually is better than the other for edge retention.
On the hunt for...
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

you wont be able to tell the differences in a blind test
Splice

Post by Splice »

I had a sebenza in s30v- I always had trouble keeping it sharp, and I don't cut much.
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

My large Sebenza 21 is in S30V, so I cannot do a direct comparison, but I have used S35VN in the Sprint Para2. My experience with S35VN has been positive: it "feels" just like S30V during use, but I have not had to fully sharpen the blade yet - only a few touch-ups on the strop, so I cannot comment on the easy of sharpening or edge geometry issues. I have not had any issues of chipping with either my Spyderco S30V or S35VN, as well as my S30V Sebbie. My Sebbie only sees light duty, and I have only really done a full re-sharpen once about two years ago. Keeping the blade clean and wicked sharp is easy to do on my JRE Strop Bat using the green and pink compounds. I find that the S35VN Para2 takes the same wicked edge as the standard Para2/Millie.
In conclusion, I would not worry about the steel choice: both are excellent steels in my experience, and considering Mr. Reeve had a hand in the creation of S35VN (???), I would be confident in any model in which he chooses to utilize it. The real issue with the Sebbie is the size of your hands - I have larger hands, and the small Sebenza actually hurt my hand when I had a chance to try one out. For the extra upfront cost, the Large Sebenza 21 is truly a functional piece of art. I would also spring for an inlay model (the selection of woods are always changing, but there is something for everyone's taste including micarta and the "interesting" computer designs.)
I hope that this helps: as a loving Sebenza owner, the type of steel has never once entered my mind while using and enjoying this knife.
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

Wildernest Survivor wrote: In conclusion, I would not worry about the steel choice: both are excellent steels in my experience, and considering Mr. Reeve had a hand in the creation of S35VN (???), I would be confident in any model in which he chooses to utilize it. The real issue with the Sebbie is the size of your hands - I have larger hands, and the small Sebenza actually hurt my hand when I had a chance to try one out. For the extra upfront cost, the Large Sebenza 21 is truly a functional piece of art. I would also spring for an inlay model (the selection of woods are always changing, but there is something for everyone's taste including micarta and the "interesting" computer designs.)
I hope that this helps: as a loving Sebenza owner, the type of steel has never once entered my mind while using and enjoying this knife.
I would also recommend the large sebenza if you have any size to your hands. I would also spring for an inlayed model. My current sebenza has the micarta inlays and makes for a great user.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
Sht

Post by Sht »

Lg sebenza all the way! I can't tell the difference btw s30v & s35vn to save my life of me. One hint I noticed that my sebbie will hold an edge much better now that I reprofiled it to 30 inclusive.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Slash

Post by Slash »

Have a tanto umnumzan in s30v and sebbie insingo with s35vn. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either steel. Since those knives have different blade geometry it wouldn't be fair to accurately compare them though.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Thanks for the continued feedback guys. I am thinking that it probably doesn't much matter which I get. I just wish that he would harden up the steel a bit...
On the hunt for...
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Thanks for the continued feedback guys. I am thinking that it probably doesn't much matter which I get. I just wish that he would harden up the steel a bit...
After finding this test a Sebenza does not look to bad:
Rapt_up wrote:Lately I am more and more interested in edge holding and cutting performance I have used a digital Rockwell tester that I have access to, to test the hardness of a number of knives that I own. :)

Here are the results. Accuracy for the tester is +/-0.3 Rockwell C

Production:
Kershaw Leek (CK&T S30V comboedge random tanto) Mfg spec: 57-59, Actual: 57.0
Kershaw Scallion (Walmart 420 HC) Mfg spec:54-56, Actual: 54.5
Zero tolerance ZT 0350 (S30V) Mfg Spec: 57-59, Actual 57.7
Leatherman Juice CS4 (420HC) Mfg Spec:???, Actual: 56.8
Benchmade Snody 211 Activator (D2) Mfg Spec:60-62, Actual:60.5
Benchmade 835-07/00 KoTM (M2HS) Mfg Spec:62-64, Actual: 63.2

Customs:
JW knives, Jason Woytaz (O1) Target:???, Actual: 58.6
Greg Shahan (AEB-L) Target 58, Actual 57.4

Feel free to add your own tested data. I can put this into a spreadsheet if there is interest, and I can also test knives if people are interested. With the understanding that testing does indeed leave a mark. I also see that it needs some maintenance/sharpening. ;)

The photo shows my Leatherman Juice blade with two test marks on it, and the tip of a pair of calipers set to .010" to give scale.
IMG_0587 by rapt_up, on Flickr
Don't get caught up on HRC numbers alone is all I want to say.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/