Just ordered a tactical 22 rifle

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Trihonda

Just ordered a tactical 22 rifle

Post by Trihonda »

Picking up an M&P 15-22 on Sunday. Anyone have experience with this rifle? Picks?
Thanks
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I looked into it and decided to go with a Ruger 10/22 instead. Glad I did. I think you get overcharged for the gun looking "tactical". But, if thats what you want then go for it. I'm more practical than tactical, hence the Ruger. Not to mention that the 10/22 is the most customizable gun on the market and can easily be made "tactical" looking if you so desired.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Trihonda

Post by Trihonda »

Enkidude wrote:I looked into it and decided to go with a Ruger 10/22 instead. Glad I did. I think you get overcharged for the gun looking "tactical". But, if thats what you want then go for it. I'm more practical than tactical, hence the Ruger. Not to mention that the 10/22 is the most customizable gun on the market and can easily be made "tactical" looking if you so desired.
I looked into the 10-22 models, but was not a fan of the functionality... Specifically the cleaning and stripping of it. I've already got a marlin 60 22 and they break down relatively similar, and they're a ***** to clean... Yes they are cheaper, but I work with the ar platform daily so I am very comfortable with handling the mp 15-22.

Your feedback is food to gear though. I appreciate the perspective.
Trihonda

Post by Trihonda »

meant to say... (**** iPad autocorrect)

Your feedback is good to hear though. I appreciate the perspective
MrGlockJock25

Post by MrGlockJock25 »

I have had one for one and 1/2 years. I love
Mine. It is great. Went and shot 600 rds out of it yesterday and only one ammo related misfire. Not bad IMO. You'll love it!!
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

The S&W M&P doesn't function like an AR. If your concerned about an easy clean, Ruger did just come out with the 10/22 take down model that would be really easy to clean. Just twist the barrel off and clean it. Geez I sound like a Ruger spokesman. I have heard good things about the S&W though.
Transcend the illusion.
Trihonda

Post by Trihonda »

Enkidude wrote:The S&W M&P doesn't function like an AR. If your concerned about an easy clean, Ruger did just come out with the 10/22 take down model that would be really easy to clean. Just twist the barrel off and clean it. Geez I sound like a Ruger spokesman. I have heard good things about the S&W though.
Appreciate the feedback, but it seems to function pretty much like an AR with a few minor exceptions... What are the differences in your opinion...?

On a side note, the dealer quoted me a price over the phone, then after driving 45 mins to pick up the rifle, he tried to price the gun for $25 more in person... Shady. Bought it anyway, because availability is low and the price was still good. Never buy from him again though!
The Student

Post by The Student »

Never a bad thing when you can go to the range for under 20 bucks and shoot 500+ rounds. They look fun but I prefer the 10/22 also, but to each their own.
Trihonda

Post by Trihonda »

Ps. Got the MOE version, which includes a bunch of magpul accessories. Gave the dealer an education on spydies when I pulled out my edc manix (old school, not new).
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Basically, the forward assist doesn't actually function. Not a big deal I guess. Congrats on the new gun!!
Transcend the illusion.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Enkidude wrote:Basically, the forward assist doesn't actually function. Not a big deal I guess. Congrats on the new gun!!
It's also blow back instead of direct impingement like a traditional AR15. However in function and manipulation it is extremely similar. I had one for about six months and it is one of the best plinkers money can buy. They have a great barrel and you can squeeze some decent accuracy out of it for what it is. You can also hang all sorts of gadgets and gizmos off the ample rail space. If yours came with a threaded barrel it's a prime candidate for a supressor (if allowed in your home state).

On top of all that they are **** good trainers for the real thing.They also weigh next to nothing and can be broken in half and slipped into a backpack.

My only advice would be this; Get more magazines, you're gonna empty them faster than you can load them.

Here are some shots of mine in action;

(Gotta give credit to my buddy Sgt Jimbo. He's an excellent model, no?)
Trihonda

Post by Trihonda »

Rwb1500 wrote:It's also blow back instead of direct impingement like a traditional AR15. However in function and manipulation it is extremely similar. I had one for about six months and it is one of the best plinkers money can buy. They have a great barrel and you can squeeze some decent accuracy out of it for what it is. You can also hang all sorts of gadgets and gizmos off the ample rail space. If yours came with a threaded barrel it's a prime candidate for a supressor (if allowed in your home state).

On top of all that they are **** good trainers for the real thing.They also weigh next to nothing and can be broken in half and slipped into a backpack.

My only advice would be this; Get more magazines, you're gonna empty them faster than you can load them.
I got the MOE version with the threaded barrel. Yay! I also ordered 4 extra mags. Not sure about the silencers in Wisconsin...
The Student

Post by The Student »

Yes class 3 items are avalible in Wisconsin, such as supressors. There is a lot of red tape but they are tons of fun. If your interested google search for a class 3 dealer near you, give them a call they can explain the process, it can be a pain but I found it worthwhile.
Trihonda

Post by Trihonda »

The Student wrote:Yes class 3 items are avalible in Wisconsin, such as supressors. There is a lot of red tape but they are tons of fun. If your interested google search for a class 3 dealer near you, give them a call they can explain the process, it can be a pain but I found it worthwhile.
Nice photos btw.. As to suppressors, so long as its concealed, wi probably makes it legal, lol.. We just went from one of he most restrictive gun laws to most loose. What's ur guess to the final cost to get a suppressor, from the unit to license?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Trihonda wrote:...What's ur guess to the final cost to get a suppressor, from the unit to license?
Probably looking at between $485 to 800 for a good quality suppressor and the legal stamp. It can be worth it if you shoot quite a bit of a particular caliber. I believe the license to the BATFE is $200 plus the 4473 form.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Student

Post by The Student »

Yeah the tax stamp is $200, I don't remember the 4473 costing anything but it does take awhile to get through the process, even longer if you can't get an LEO signature. Even then it is not a sure thing, it's all up to the BATFE. Most dealers will help you though and make it as painless as possible. After the first successful acquisition the future ones are cake, you know for the really cool stuff. ;)

And yes as long as it is concealed, remember that! What ever happened with those unfortunate men, my club sent a donation to help them with legal fees but I never found out the outcome.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Congrats on the SW. Its a great gun. Don't let the Ruger guys change your opinion.
10/22 is a good gun as well. All of the add on add up though. Can't go wrong with either.
I'm with you on the SW M&P-15 though.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

xceptnl wrote:Probably looking at between $485 to 800 for a good quality suppressor and the legal stamp. It can be worth it if you shoot quite a bit of a particular caliber. I believe the license to the BATFE is $200 plus the 4473 form.
That's pretty accurate in my experience. You can get a .22lr can for around $200, and another $200 for the tax stamp, then a looooong wait.

You can also pay quite a bit more. The Silencerco Sparrow is incredible, and able to be disassembled for cleaning. You won't get that with a $200 can. However you could also look into the AAC Pilot 2, which is reasonably priced and gets great reviews, and can also be taken down for cleaning.

http://advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=858

If you can't clean a suppressor you limit its ability to work properly, especially with rimfire ammo.
Trihonda

Post by Trihonda »

Just discovered that a sig light laser combo unit I received as a gift a few years ago from my boss fits perfectly on my 15-22 rails... Sweetness. Will have to take some pics. Still need to shoot the thing tho...
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

To anyone thinking of getting a .22 suppressor... DO IT!!!

I got an AAC element. Its noticeably quieter than all but a few other cans (kodiak, sparrow, spectre,tbac 22L-1)... The element is hard to take apart if you dont take it apart often (every ~500 rounds) and clean the tube. I dont really clean the whole thing until 5000 rounds. Keep some anti seize on the end cap threads so the thing doesn't fuse together. I notice no first round pop with my element.

The sparrow would be tops if it weren't for its insufferable first round pop. On the up side It comes apart easily no matter how long it goes uncleaned.

I am about to order a tbac 22s-1. Its 100% titanium so you can dip it in a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, which will obliterate all fouling and negate the need to ever take the can apart. You can literally let the chemicals work for a day and just pour the fouling out of the can! Do this every 10000 rounds. A lot easier than my element maintenance wise...