Peak Led Solutions: Eiger (single AAA flashlight)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

Peak Led Solutions: Eiger (single AAA flashlight)

Post by Blerv »

[ATTACH]20517[/ATTACH]

As a present for a friend I just recently picked up an Eiger. Specifically a neutral XPG, single AAA keychain tube, brass one.

Since it was a present I didn't use it much and get enough pictures to pose a decent review. I was very impressed though for a simple twist-on light. The QTC gave it a bit of flicker while ramping up and down at certain points but the threads were clean and it was bright as heck. It really made me wonder why I would choose anything else for an AAA light. These lights are more "EDC" than anything and while the Eiger isn't the smallest kid on the block the options you can select are pretty awesome.

* Cool White, Neutral, High CRI
* Normal head, Ultra (wider and 3 times the throw), or Ultra X (Li-Ion only)
* Wide or narrow optic
* Aluminum, SS, or Brass (or mix n match)
* Keychain body, Lug (removable end for momentary switch or keychain), or Pocket (shortest and flat end).

Since it accepts like .8-4.2v you can run a single alkaline or a 10440 Li-ion cell. That means you can ramp up from a fraction of a lumen to at least 200 lumens OTF. There aren't any modes as the QTC pill allows nigh-infinite brightness with a quick or slow turn. The Eiger Ultra X is even more output being designed solely for Li-Ion (or Li-Mn) power.

I'm not a "Made in America" zealot but it is pretty cool. They range from about $49-70 so it's certainly not a threat for the 4Sevens Preon1 market.

For you folks that hate modes and don't mind twisting the head it might be worth checking out. The momentary switch is somewhat stiff but works in a pinch ramping in the same way (squeeze low to high brightness).

Oh, and did I mention you can get it in Brass? :)

PS: The worst thing by far is the packaging. Oh well.
Attachments
photo.JPG
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's cool, it sounds pretty nice. For some reason, and I'm not sure why, I have always dismissed Peak for a company that I wasn't interested in.

Thanks for the review.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For the longest time they just had 1-level lights, at least for the smaller ones. QTC technology made everything different for them.

I also heard they had some questionable customer service in the past but since they hired Bob from em-mgt.com to work for them I think it's all changed. He's a terrific guy. I ordered the Peak in pocket config and it came in keychain with a letter saying they were making more bodies and would mail me out one asap in a couple weeks.

Thanks for reading :) . I still really love my Logan High CRI. The twisting gets old sometimes but carrying lights without the brightness range is frustrating.

(control freak :p )
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yeah, my keyring light is a MJP Extreme, has all of that and a bag of chips. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Can't speak for others, but I've had great customer service from Peak in the past. Robyn especially worked with me to make sure I ended up with the right variation of their 2AAA Peak Eiger for my needs. It's their crappy and confusing website, which has recently been improved, that was the biggest issue with Peak.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I have a handful of Peak lights. Love 'em. Not the highest tech out there, but, in my mind, the prettiest. Gave one to my brother 1.5 years ago, his wife, who calls it the "Sherlock Holmes" flashlight, stole it from him immediately. Helping to keep someone employed in US is a bonus. I bought all of mine from em-mgt.com.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea Robyn is awesome :) . I've never had problems either but only 2 purchased to date.

I love the simplicity. In a world of advanced electronics and picky battery voltages Peak is great. The QTC flickers a bit but gives a rustic flair to brightness control. Simple and variable is my style.

Brands like 4Sevens are great. However, to be able to pick the body type, led, optic, and tube material is pretty fun. High CRI for me all the way ;) .
JD Spydo

Surefire E2d DEfender: A dime-sized flamethrower!!

Post by JD Spydo »

Not familiar with this particular unit but I would certainly like to test one out in the near future. The fact that you can run common batteries in it is definitely a plus for sure.

However back in February I got the surprise of my life when I got my Surefire L7 replaced ( one that got stolen). When I was getting the replacement L7 rechargable unit I couldn't help myself but notice that Surefire's E2d Defender had been revamped in a LED type of unit. They let me test one out and I never fell in love with a toy as fast as I did that LED Surefire E2d Defender flashlight.

For it's size it is a literal flamethrower :eek: For the same reason the one brother liked this unit I like Surefire for the same reason>> MADE IN THE USA!! Yes Sir I want to keep as many fellow Americans working as I can.

For all of you who are fans of premium flashlights I strongly urge you all to check out Surefire's LED E2d DEfender. IT is truly a beast of a light.

But I will be checking this one out too because I would like something less expensive to keep in my truck at all times. JD
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

kool

i gotta try that, care to post a link or pm where to buy.

thx
<--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks JD :) . Yea I really need to pick up a Surefire. I love their 6p and only have cheap copies with P60 drop-ins. Hard to beat the original tho!

Hi Punisher.

Here is the main site:
http://www.peakledsolutions.net/

This one of their dealers with even more of their products:
http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Peak.html

Bob at Peak can answer all your questions if you want a custom set-up. If it doesn't say QTC it's likely one-mode so ask if you don't see it :) .