Texting driver convicted of vehicular homocide.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Texting driver convicted of vehicular homocide.

Post by jackknifeh »

First case I've heard of. May be more of course. I haven't kept up with this but doing other things (eating, talking on phone, texting, etc.) has been a discussed issue for a while now. Check out what happened to this 17 year old person.

http://gma.yahoo.com/massachusetts-teen ... ories.html

Of course we are responsible for our actions but da**. In this day and age texting is like walking around. Wait... I hope he wasn't on the Spyderco forum. :eek: :) Seriously though, looks like this issue is going to be taken seriously.

Jack
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

About time this nonsense was taken seriously. Won't bring back the victim though.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

It's amazing how much damage a "little" mistake can make. A lot of people text and drive just like I eat and drive. I've been eating and driving for years as others have. But, you still need to pay attention. Texting requires too much time taken off the road and what is going on around us. If I caused an accident and it was determined it was caused because I was digging a burger out of a McDonald's bag would the same laws be broken? This raises questions in my mind. Seems if I cause your loved one to be hurt due to carelessness or neglegence I'm still responsible no matter what I was doing.

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackknifeh wrote:Texting requires too much time taken off the road and what is going on around us. If I caused an accident and it was determined it was caused because I was digging a burger out of a McDonald's bag would the same laws be broken? This raises questions in my mind. Seems if I cause your loved one to be hurt due to carelessness or neglegence I'm still responsible no matter what I was doing.

Jack
Don't know if it would, but it should. The law should cover "distracted driving", not just one specific form of it. Anything which causes you to take your eyes off the road for more than an occasional second should be treated the same. Distracted driving is nothing new, had a boss forty odd years ago who'd do the NY Times crossword puzzle while driving to work. :eek:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:Don't know if it would, but it should. The law should cover "distracted driving", not just one specific form of it. Anything which causes you to take your eyes off the road for more than an occasional second should be treated the same. Distracted driving is nothing new, had a boss forty odd years ago who'd do the NY Times crossword puzzle while driving to work. :eek:
I agree. I bet this will open the door on lots of "distracted driving" situations. I used to listen to a guy talk on the radio who said there weren't any driving "accidents". They were cases when one or more people weren't paying close enough attention. I have seen people in front of me and I could tell they weren't paying attention (texting, phone, whatever) and I allowed enough time for me to respond if they did anything extra stupid. I've been a fault also. I'm not perfect or even close so I'm not judging or pointing fingers. It's just the way things are when we deal with people and I am a people too. :)

Jack
Clip

Post by Clip »

The Deacon wrote:had a boss forty odd years ago who'd do the NY Times crossword puzzle while driving to work. :eek:
in pen.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
thog94

Post by thog94 »

jackknifeh wrote: If I caused an accident and it was determined it was caused because I was digging a burger out of a McDonald's bag would the same laws be broken?

Jack
Sue McDonald's for having a drive thru and enabling you to do what you did. At least that what it seems to be coming to these days. I just wish people would take responsibility for their actions, but it's easier to try and blame someone else.

Had a guy 2 months ago take out my drivers side door all they way down to the rear quarter panel and he tried to tell the cops that I hit him when I was turning down the street when I had the right of way and he was at a stop sign. Thankfully the officer wrote up that he was at fault for not stopping.

Simply man up when you screw up.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Obviously laws are different everywhere...but up here texting is taken very seriously when driving...I think that it is now a $500 fine if you are caught. And I think that the same law might apply to anything like eating, drinking, applying make-up or anything else that stops you from paying 100% attention to what you are doing.

I will admit that I am a person that will occasionally eat and drive. But I will wait til a stop light to dig into my bag.
On the hunt for...
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

its funny this topic was brought up. I was traveling down the highway next to an ambulance yesterday who's driver was texting the entire time. Its a foolish mistake or lapse in judgement that people really don't consider but if a life is taken the book needs to be thrown at the criminal regardless. The consequences for what we do behind the wheel are too grave to take so lightly.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
The Student

Post by The Student »

Ohio just passed a no texting while driving law, it's a pretty hefty fine I hear. The law also limits drivers under 18 from using any electronic device while in the car. From how the local news made it sound it is not an offense that a driver can be pulled over for, so it doesn't really make sense to me. Can an officer that pulls you over for speeding look in your phone to see if you have been texting?? Sounds like an invasion of privacy to me and would require a warrant.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If you swerve past the centerline and hit a car head-on while texting two things are a fact:

1.) You are a horrible driver
2.) You actually suck WORSE at texting

The average person is so marginal at driving it's criminal. Forget apexes of corners and shifting like Vin Diesel in a clever edit job, just going down the road and not killing things. Rain, merging, stopping on dry pavement...all Vegas gambling odds for the droves that fill our highways.

This is very sad for the kid. Way more sad for the father. Drive safe, buckle up, and be defensive at all times.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Blerv wrote:
The average person is so marginal at driving it's criminal. Forget apexes of corners and shifting like Vin Diesel in a clever edit job, just going down the road and not killing things. Rain, merging, stopping on dry pavement...all Vegas gambling odds for the droves that fill our highways.
Anonymous wrote:Pretty obvious, would a driving instructor pass you if you were eating and driving? **** no, he wouldn't. If you kill someone because you were busy doing something else I wish you the worst.
Blerv is SO correct that it is frightening. The people that I see on the roads these days are truly people that have no business picking their own nose let alone behind the wheel of a car...

And Anonymous...not sure about down there, but up here, at least in my province, the driving test centres used to be part of the gov't but have been privatised, they care more about making money than making sure that they only give licences to good and safe drivers. So it wouldn't at all surprise me if some people had decided to have a snack while being tested and still passed.
On the hunt for...
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

texting has got to be the WORST thing to do while driving, ****, you would be safer driving drunk
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

There really are no driving tests that are instituted here in the PH. 90 percent of people driving on our streets don't even know a quarter of the traffic rules and regulations.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I think using common sense is the area where we all fall short sometimes. I mean everybody including, especially, myself. I'm pointing a finger at myself first. I have done things that take my concentration off driving and gotten away with it. I think that happens to a lot of people and 99 times out of 10 we get away with it. That doesn't mean it wasn't just as bad as if I would have killed someone. Not getting into an accident was just my good fortune. It's a matter of practicing what we preach, even in a year when we have forgotten about this one incident. Again, I'm talking about myself. I just don't think I'm much worse than the average driver. Also, there are times when texting or whatever is ok while driving (somewhat). That's when you are in the middle of nowhere, no other traffic, kids playing, and a straight road, etc. If you (or me) hurt yourself it's all on you and you didn't hurt anyone else. Oh wait, did I forget about the three kids you have at home? Let's not forget them.

So, let's all make a vow to not do the stupid things that others do. I say others now because we will improve. Is that ok?

Jack
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I was on I 95 S, on approach to Ft. McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore and the guy in front of me on the highway was driving so badly I couldn't get past him until it opened up to 3 lanes. As I passed, I saw him texting. I occasionally fantasize about driving around with a 40 oz cup of golf balls.
Horrible that someone was killed. I hope the incident gets more publicity to deter other texters--though, following jackknife's example, I admit to reading a text or so from time to time where circumstances are low risk. I will stop that, nothings all that important.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The article says he is 18.

I was thinking about this story the other day. There are a few things I was thinking about.

There is a generation gap involved in this case. I would like to see the news cover these stories accurately. How old is the judge in this case? If the judge is 50 or 60 or 70, they will certainly have a different reaction to what has happened.

I think this kid is being used as an example. I don't think it is right, but that's how I think it is.

The laws where I live are pretty relaxed. There is a law against texting and driving, but you aren't allowed to be charged unless there is another crime happening. If you are speeding and texting or run a red light while texting, or get into an accident while texting. I've heard the police will ask to see your phone and check your history.

I REGULARLY see people browsing the web while driving.

What I want to know is: How long will it take for people to be SO irresponsible, that the government and car manufacturers will HAVE to develop technology to disable phones when you enter a car? I see it heading that way. Isn't the rule that if you act responsible and earn trust, you are given freedoms? Well, I don't see that people should be given this freedom, I say throw it away.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!