Your first car

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
maa14

Post by maa14 »

I am not sure what my first car will be... And it will probably be in about a year.
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
The Student

Post by The Student »

My first car was a 93 Ford Ranger had it for 6 years when I got a new truck, another Ranger - great little trucks, I gave it to my cousin for 500 bucks, it had 322k on it and he is still driving it on his farm. Too bad they stopped making them I guess they figured there were enough out there to last an eternity. ;)
markg

Post by markg »

1973 (may have been a 76, don't remember) VW Bettle. Red. Had that until I got the 71 VW Van...
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

First Car was a 1967 Ford Mustang, Boss 289 engine, Fire engine red, with a red interior paid $1500 used with low miles, bought it with my own saved money from busing tables at a restaurant. At 80 miles an hour it felt as if every bolt was loosening and they was about to fall apart any second......The exterior metal was slightly stronger than todays Beer Can, and if a kid on a bike hit your door when your car was standing still, he would have totaled your car. I had the car for one year, in which time it was in five accidents, only one of which involved me being in the car, that was a diaper truck side swiping me while I stopped at a stop sign. Four other times it was hit in different areas of the car when I was not in the car. All in all Insurance paid me a total of 2,700 for my accidents, (not repaired) and I traded the car into ford looking like it had gone to demolition derby and the ford dealer gave me 3,000 towards a trade in cause the model was sort after...Did good for the first car.....I loved it!....Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

No pictures I'm sorry to say that I know of.

1969 Cevrolet Chevelle. Fun.

Jack
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

My first was a 1980 Chevy Chevette, cost me $700. It was what I could afford because all the rest of my money basically went to the insurance company. It was a piece of junk but it was my piece of junk.
:spyder:
Dan
jossta

Post by jossta »

1979 BMW 320i my mom bought with like 500 miles on it in '79. I got it in 2000 w/ like 230k on it. That was a great car. I beat the CRAP out of it and it never gave up. My mom ended up donating it after I went to college, but I still check craigslist every once in a while trying to find it again.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A 1967 Volkswagen, bought new as I was finishing Artillery OCS at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. I put flowers on it when I got back from Vietnam... I loved that car and will pull over whenever I see one of that vintage. What a dashboard, not!
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Mine was a 1984 Chevy Caprice Estate wagon. When I started driving (legally) in '97, it was such a p.o.s., but it was perfect for high school and completely hilarious. I had a travelling party wherever I went because that thing could fit 7-8 people with room to spare. My friends called it the Shaggin Wagon. As a joke, I dropped a sound system in it that was worth more than the car.

Here's a stock photo from the interwebs.

[ATTACH]20392[/ATTACH]
Attachments
caprice.jpg
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

This:

Had a car supplied for me by my employer before that ;)
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

My first car was a green 1972 Opel Cadet.

I still got it

I'm going to fix it up one day
My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

jossta wrote:1979 BMW 320i my mom bought with like 500 miles on it in '79. I got it in 2000 w/ like 230k on it. That was a great car. I beat the CRAP out of it and it never gave up. My mom ended up donating it after I went to college, but I still check craigslist every once in a while trying to find it again.
If you PM me a VIN I may be able to help you. I have access to the Manheim Auctions... I'll check if it ran through there.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
eitenbuffalo34

Post by eitenbuffalo34 »

1997 Toyota Camry and still going!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:spyder:'s: Paramilitary 2 Satin Camo, Caly 3.5 Carbon Fiber, Translucent Blue Manix, Pacific Salt SE, Tenacious, and Paramilitary 2 M390 Blue
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

bmw e30 318 i coupe (2 doors)
mkd

Post by mkd »

1958 chevrolet biscayne 2 dr with a 235 cu" six cylinder and a powerglide transmission with vacumn windshield wipers!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:First Car was a 1967 Ford Mustang, Boss 289 engine, Fire engine red, with a red interior paid $1500 used with low miles, bought it with my own saved money from busing tables at a restaurant. At 80 miles an hour it felt as if every bolt was loosening and they was about to fall apart any second......The exterior metal was slightly stronger than todays Beer Can, and if a kid on a bike hit your door when your car was standing still, he would have totaled your car. I had the car for one year, in which time it was in five accidents, only one of which involved me being in the car, that was a diaper truck side swiping me while I stopped at a stop sign. Four other times it was hit in different areas of the car when I was not in the car. All in all Insurance paid me a total of 2,700 for my accidents, (not repaired) and I traded the car into ford looking like it had gone to demolition derby and the ford dealer gave me 3,000 towards a trade in cause the model was sort after...Did good for the first car.....I loved it!....Doc :)

Not to bust your chops Doc but there never was a Boss 289, it was a HiPo 289 ;)

Unless you had a Boss 302? Boss 429? Though i don't think you could confuse either of those cars with a 289.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

d.2.the.p wrote:Mine was a 1984 Chevy Caprice Estate wagon. When I started driving (legally) in '97, it was such a p.o.s., but it was perfect for high school and completely hilarious. I had a travelling party wherever I went because that thing could fit 7-8 people with room to spare. My friends called it the Shaggin Wagon. As a joke, I dropped a sound system in it that was worth more than the car.

Here's a stock photo from the interwebs.

[ATTACH]20392[/ATTACH]
Cars like that are perfect for first cars. My buddy's first car was an '82 Chevette 4 door, we partied it up in that car. We had house speakers in the trunk wired up to a cheap amp but it slammed :cool:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

1999 GMC Sonoma. Dad gotnit used and put about 70k on it then I put another 15k on it. Traded it in for my 2006 Tacoma back in January.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

In 1979 to 1980 I bought a 1976 C10 Chevy Van 350 4bbl. I picked this up when the economy went bad and the GM shop workers who lived like kings began seeing shops go down. Some of these guys were making 23-27$ per hour, and had 2-3 cars, RV's motorcycles, boats, snowmobiles, etc. etc. The extra vehicles were the first to go. My van had been customized inside and out and had really low miles. I got it for $1400 with less than 50,000 miles. The only thing was the creeping michigan rust. To put in perspective one labor job I had was paying $4.00 per hour. My best job, a Union job on the railroad paid $7.20 PH. My pay in the army as a private was $450 per month. :) When I got my first job in 1974 I started at $1.35 per hour. In 76 I was making $2.00 PH.

I loved that and had great fun in the van with it's table that turned into a bed. In fact I traveled out west in it working here and there until I got sick of the migrant construction type existence, which came to a head one day after a drunk foreman tipped over a boom truck with 20,000 lbs of steel I beam almost killing about 3 of us. I left and joined the army after that.

That Van sat and rusted away when I was gone literally leaving piles of rust where it was parked. Still mechanically excellent I sold it while I was overseas.

I still dream about that van. :)

My next was a 76(?) Accord with the bigger engine which began my love of Japanese cars. That car could cruise at 70 MPH at 2200 rpm at around 38 mpg on the highway.

My 85(?) Toyota Tercel wagon was an honest 42 MPG highway at 70-75 mph, 30 something in raleigh city driving. It needed a muffler, a starter, belts and oil changes in 240,000 some miles. It was only 52 net HP though. :) , so that 5 speed kept busy.

Other notables 72 C20 350 4bbl Chevy P/U. Got it after the army when I went back to Michigan. I drove that around as parking Japanese cars in some places in Flint would pretty much guarantee you a trashed car, or slashed tires from UAW workers who felt it was your fault their jobs were in jeopardy. I liked that truck but though it would carry wood for our wood stove heating the house, it rusted AND got about 7-8 MPG.

Other notables. 69 Skylark. Cool car with two speed auto.

87 hyuandi Elantra. Worst car ever. Pretty much everything that could, did break on it. It finally died at around 25,000 miles. :(

98 Toyota Camry Old ladys car, but very reliable and dependable. Gave it to my son.

There were others naturally.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

had a 70 dodge dart with a slant 6 given to me a year before i could get a license-had almost 300 grand and didnt leak a drop or smoke-ran like a top

sold it and bought a opel rebadged as a ferd -dont remember what year or care too-what a pos-sold it bought a 68 stang also a pos-
then i got my first real car-1962 dodge polara 50:D - still have it today