Paracord bracelets at a mall jeweller

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Paracord bracelets at a mall jeweller

Post by Evil D »

I was shocked to see a display of paracord survival style bracelets at a jewelry store in the mall today. I asked the lady inside about price and they start at $95!!! I said WHAT?? They do have a silver ball kind of thing to slip through the loop to hold them on and $20 goes to support vets but **** that's outrageous. I told her I make them and I get cord for 100 feet for $6 and I can get Sterling beads from Hobby Lobby for about $5 each. I'm not surprised though I figured someone would cash in on them eventually.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

That's outrageous and should prove counterproductive to the store that overprices it as grossly as that. I use paracord to thread up handles of fixed blade knives and for lanyards. I guess I must have missed that memo because I've never learned the purpose of a paracord bracelet. Stylish I guess.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey evil,
I was in gatlinburg tn. last weekend, and it seemed like every shop we went into had paracord bracelets.
They were priced from around four bucks up to nine.
No fancy clasps though, just the common plastic snap buckels.
The ones i make have either a button or a t-bar and ring attached.
I have used skull beads also.
I sell mine basically for the price of materials i have in them, plus i've given several away.
I can't believe anyone would pay $95.00 for a survival bracelet, even if it is for a worthy cause.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

My opinion, like it or not;

Paracord bracelets (or belts, necklaces, toe rings, or thongs) are the tackiest thing ever. I don't care how practical they are, rather, how practical they might be. 99% of people that wear paracord accessories have never and will never use them for anything other than adornment. The other 1% of people are split 50/50.

Half of them regularly tear apart their bracelets to complicate mundane tasks that would be easier to accomplish by going to the junk drawer and retrieving some duct tape or twine. This applies meaning to their unattractive bulky jewelry, something they must do regularly to justify wearing it.

The other .5% has actually needed paracord in an emergency of some sort, or will sometime in the future. These folk preach its benefits nonstop, and may also sell paracord jewelry at gunshows, or online. These are the worst sort of paracord devils, because half of them are lying about needing their paracord accessories in an emergency, which decidedly places them in the other .5%, skewing our numbers and making it difficult to find the paracord frauds. It also tends to boost sales. Nothing better than a story about a casual summer hike (in the Alps of course) turning bad and a paracord tourniquet/sling/telemark ski saving the day. "It's a good thing I wore my paracord headband that day!"

Wear what you want though I suppose.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

How much time does it take for a quality weave that's similar? Labor costs for skilled artists isn't cheap, especially at a profit point. Mall rent is expensive!
thehunt

Post by thehunt »

Well you will need 3 of them, then you could use them as bullets against the next werewolf-attack...
And make a slingshot from the paracord :-)
Si vis pacem parabellum
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Zeabed wrote:That's outrageous and should prove counterproductive to the store that overprices it as grossly as that. I use paracord to thread up handles of fixed blade knives and for lanyards. I guess I must have missed that memo because I've never learned the purpose of a paracord bracelet. Stylish I guess.
They're generally referred to as survival bracelets. The idea is that you have several feet of the stuff on you while hiking and such in case you ever actually needed it, then you could unravel it and have cord for tying up shelters and such.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh, and the kicker was that the nylon cord inside was all taken out and it was just the outside left, i guess to make them softer and less bulky, but then that completely destroys the functionality of it and makes it strictly jewelry.
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Im gonna get myself rich now
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

thehunt wrote:Well you will need 3 of them, then you could use them as bullets against the next werewolf-attack...
And make a slingshot from the paracord :-)
Someone (won't say who :) ) has seen too many episodes of McGyver. :) You are right though. Three would be the minimum. :D

Think of how many knives Spyderco would sell if they used silver blades. :D

Jack
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

Evil D wrote:They're generally referred to as survival bracelets. The idea is that you have several feet of the stuff on you while hiking and such in case you ever actually needed it, then you could unravel it and have cord for tying up shelters and such.
Thanks. Was just wondering about applicable uses.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Rwb1500 wrote:My opinion, like it or not;

Paracord bracelets (or belts, necklaces, toe rings, or thongs) are the tackiest thing ever. I don't care how practical they are, rather, how practical they might be. 99% of people that wear paracord accessories have never and will never use them for anything other than adornment. The other 1% of people are split 50/50.

Half of them regularly tear apart their bracelets to complicate mundane tasks that would be easier to accomplish by going to the junk drawer and retrieving some duct tape or twine. This applies meaning to their unattractive bulky jewelry, something they must do regularly to justify wearing it.

The other .5% has actually needed paracord in an emergency of some sort, or will sometime in the future. These folk preach its benefits nonstop, and may also sell paracord jewelry at gunshows, or online. These are the worst sort of paracord devils, because half of them are lying about needing their paracord accessories in an emergency, which decidedly places them in the other .5%, skewing our numbers and making it difficult to find the paracord frauds. It also tends to boost sales. Nothing better than a story about a casual summer hike (in the Alps of course) turning bad and a paracord tourniquet/sling/telemark ski saving the day. "It's a good thing I wore my paracord headband that day!"

Wear what you want though I suppose.
I agree with most of that. I have a couple but I only wear them if I'm hiking or out fishing or something. It's like they say, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. The idea behind is comes from the mentality that emergencies can't be predicted but you can at least prepare for them. It doesn't make much sense though if you never leave the urban environment and never spend time in situations that could leave you in need of a hunch of paracord.
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Most people wearing paracord jewelry may be seen as posers. Obviously they won't have to fray their bracelet to make a tourniquet or fishing line. Still, jewelry is about decorative comfort. Diamonds and gold have FAR more glorifying uses than being worn by snobby pretty people. Paracord is a weather resistant and comfortable material. It's less irritating than wool and nicer looking than hemp.

Malls are known to be purveyors of crocs, hair extensions, and cell phone accessories. It's no surprise they would jump on board to another low-cost material good. I'm surprised they are locally made even.

Evil D wrote:Oh, and the kicker was that the nylon cord inside was all taken out and it was just the outside left, i guess to make them softer and less bulky, but then that completely destroys the functionality of it and makes it strictly jewelry.
That's a bummer. The casing is quite strong but yea they missed the point completely.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

I have and wear a paracord bracelet. But mine was made for me by someone working in a really bad place on the other side of the planet. The "fastener" isn't pretty, but it's strong. It was his way of saying "thank you" to me. I've proudly worn it since the day it came and I don't foresee a time when I'll take it off. It might be the latest trend, but for some, it holds real meaning. ;)
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You're no poser Taz :) .

I've always liked the idea personally. They are nice looking and comfortable. As a gift a labor of love it's just like a hand-knitted scarf.

It's hard to knock the survival bracket. People carry tactical knives to office jobs and sit in rush hour with exotic sports cars.
Paradiggum

Post by Paradiggum »

I have and wear one a friend made for me. I've gotten a few comments from a couple of other friends and I'm going to make some for them. It's funny because I never knew it was a trend or even popular but since I got one from my friend, I've started seeing them for sale at different places.
I use paracord all the time for various things so I do forsee a time when I might unravel mine and use it.
Very little if any of the things I choose to do is for fashion or to be trendy. But for me, I see potential use in such a thing.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

TazKristi wrote:I have and wear a paracord bracelet. But mine was made for me by someone working in a really bad place on the other side of the planet. The "fastener" isn't pretty, but it's strong. It was his way of saying "thank you" to me. I've proudly worn it since the day it came and I don't foresee a time when I'll take it off. It might be the latest trend, but for some, it holds real meaning. ;)
The kind that you have, Kristi, is the best kind... it's from the heart!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

I have three paracord bracelets that I wear, a brown one for work, and two others that I rotate when I go out. I also have paracord key chain holders, one is orange and black, the other is all black. I also gave one to my wife and it is pink and black. Trend or no trend, I think they're cool to own and wear.