My Dad just gave me his Dad's EDC, I'm need to know how to restore it

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
rnbtexas

My Dad just gave me his Dad's EDC, I'm need to know how to restore it

Post by rnbtexas »

[ATTACH]20092[/ATTACH][ATTACH]20091[/ATTACH] I'll start this with I know it's not a Spyderco, but I don't belong to any other forums and it seems that there are some very knowledgably knife people here. So if it's bad etiquette to post about other knifes here then let me know.

When he handed it to me it was covered in rust, so I took it to a local store and they hit it with a buffing wheel to get the majority of the rust off. Actually, I like it to have a little patina. It was my grandfather's after all. So here is where I need some help. You can see that on the tip there is some pitted rust and the pivot is very rough. Keep in mind I'm new to knives so any technical help and recommendations on product would be appreciated.

Best,
Attachments
P4203236.jpg
P4203233.jpg
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

it sounds very cool to have your grandpas knife. as for the pictures, you need to host them on a site like photobucket.com so we can see them. if you dont know how, send them to me and ill host them for you, then we can see what you are dealing with. my email is my forum name @aol.com
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
rnbtexas

Post by rnbtexas »

Thanks for the photo help. I'll have them in asap.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Add some dish soap to the pivot, then hold it under hot running water while you open and close the blade. That will help clean out any crud that's trapped in the pivot. You can also use a toothpick if there is a lot of stuff trapped in there. Then, dry it off, add some oil to the pivot, and you should be good to go. As far as the rust on the tip, lightly sanding it with some 600 grit wet/dry paper should take care of that.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
rnbtexas

Post by rnbtexas »

mil

Post by mil »

here ya go

rnbtexas

Post by rnbtexas »

Thanks StuntDouble, what kind of oil? Do I use the Rem Oil for my shotgun or the oil I still have from my Rollerblade bearings? I can't use the Rollerblades, but hate to throw out anything.....
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Either one should work really. Some guys swear by mineral oil, but I find 3 in 1 works well enough for me. Mineral oil is food safe though, if that's a concern.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
mkd

Post by mkd »

that's an old timer knife and i beleave the blades were chrome vanadium.the ones i had liked to pit and rust also.i bead blasted one and i also used gun blue to blue one .neither worked very well.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

These were extremely popular knives back "in the day". My Dad had a couple of similar Schrade Old Timers - I've still got one around here somewhere myself. They are great mementos of your family!

I agree with the dish soap, toothpicks, and running water. Before you oil it, though, you'll want to get it thoroughly dry. Personally, I'd hit it with a lot of compressed air to blow all of the remaining grit and water out of there. Then give it a good shot of WD-40 followed up by a lubricating oil.

Thanks for sharing, rnbtexas!

TedP
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

That's the kind of knife I grew up with. First knife I owned was that style, maybe 2 blades. What do you mean "locking pocket knife"? That would have been my answer if someone would mention a pocket knife with a lock at the time. :) Glad to hear you are getting it cleaned up.

Talking about non-Spyderco knives in the off-topic section is fine. I like it. Not to mention all the other things people talk about. Keep it coming.

Jack
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Sharpen that baby up. This old carbon knives take the most wicked edge
rnbtexas

Post by rnbtexas »

I asked my wife for a sharp maker for fathers day. I had the same though. Thanks for all the help. I'll post a follow-up pic when I get it clean and sharp.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

WHOA I'm amazed how much edge that has left on it. All my grandfathers knives look like toothpicks. I use rem oil alot for knives i use because it's fairly cheap and i find a little bottle last awhile. I don't know if i would use that knife alot considering the sentimental value but then again you would think of the men that came before you every time you use it.
rnbtexas

Post by rnbtexas »

You know I don't think it will be an EDC. That being said when I need a true pocket knife it will fit the bill perfectly. I was amazed too. My dad told me that he has his dad's wet rock too. He said he'd get that to me one day too.