Quest for the Stanley Cup

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
thog94

Quest for the Stanley Cup

Post by thog94 »

Playoffs begin tonight, any fans here and who do you like?

For me this is like Christmas, I always look forward to this time of the year. There isn't any other sport that brings excitement during the playoffs like hockey does.

As a diehard Bruins fan, I don't think that they'll repeat, just to hard to do in this day and age. I'm pulling for any Original 6 team or Nashville out of the West.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Well, thog, we are a CAPS household. You'll have to get through us to get to the Cup this year!

Should be a fun series!

TedP
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

MichigN born I fly a redwings flag
nakahoshi

Post by nakahoshi »

(Actually they start tonight ;) )

We are going in with our 3rd string Goalie and we under-performed this season, hopefully we don't choke this year being that no one is picking us. We finished the season strong and hope to keep it rolling. Its good that we have Backstrom and Green back!

Lets go CAPS!!

-Bobby
phillipsted wrote:Well, thog, we are a CAPS household. You'll have to get through us to get to the Cup this year!

Should be a fun series!

TedP
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I confess that I haven't really followed the Blues since moving to the Pacific NW. Amateur hockey in St. L is bigger than it has any right to be in a semi-southern town so that they have a solid base of fan support.

I'll be a bandwagon follower in the playoffs this year.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
thog94

Post by thog94 »

I like the Caps, just not at playoff time. They have tremendous talent, they just can't put it all together. I believe that Ovie got Bruce fired with his superstar attitude. I'm a huge Bruce fan and he's a great guy to boot. Almost made the playoffs in Anaheim and wish him the best of luck. I loathe Dale Hunter, one of the dirtiest players in the game and #2 all time in penalty minutes. I put him in a list with Claude Lemieux, Ulf Samuelson, Tie Domi, and Chris Simon. I love Ovie and he's a special talent, but I wish he would just play hockey, that's what he does best. For one reason or another he just didn't seem into it this year.

Tons of respect for the Red Wings organization. They have always been a class act and will root for them if they make it in the West. Nothing beats being an Original 6 team.

Ted, I will disagree with you. WE have the Cup, you need to go through us if you want it. :)
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

I think this is Pittsburgh's cup to lose. They might be in tough against the Flyers but the referees will make sure it doesn't get too rough.
thog94

Post by thog94 »

zidfeldts wrote:I think this is Pittsburgh's cup to lose. They might be in tough against the Flyers but the referees will make sure it doesn't get too rough.
They will protect Cindy at all cost, he's the poster child of the NHL. I don't know if I'll be able to watch a Vancouver vs Pitt final, can't stand either team and haven't liked them for years.
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

I have always hated the Canucks. Up here there are a lot of Canuck fans and I'm not sure why.
pl4stic

Post by pl4stic »

Canucks fan here. Should be another exciting playoffs this year. Good to see other hockey fans on the forum.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

watching the leafs suck for so many years has kind of taken any joy out of hockey for me. I can't root for another citys team.

If I had to I will vote to bring the cup back to Canada.
thog94

Post by thog94 »

akaAK, sorry to hear. The organization needs to tighten up a bit, but at least you guys aren't in a mess like the Habs are. What is the word about Kessel up there? Reading a few articles it sounds like they are growing tired of him already. He's one of the most dislike guys in this part of town after what he pulled, but in the end he didn't want to be here and we got a up and coming superstar out of the deal.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Kessel did what he was brought in to do but in my opinion he is too soft. HE could put up even more points if we had a no. 1 center to go with him. With that we need a hard nose defensemen and more size (I guess every team could use some of this).

Yeah it is pretty much acknowledged that you guys came out ahead. Some serious questions about Burke up here but in the end, when you have people on the waiting list for season tickets for decades (yup, decades) there isn't a real reason to put a quality product on the ice.

Not to hijack the thread but it is sad to see hockey become a dying sport (has become too expensive for most kids to play)
thog94

Post by thog94 »

The problem that we as fans and Claude had with Phil is his lack of a 2 way game. His refusal to back check and play D got him benched a lot. Take a look at his +/- ratings over the past couple of years. I believe he had a decent rating his last year with us, but that's when he was really fighting to play.

As expensive as hockey is, it's still growing here in the states. The rise of 2nd had equipment stores has been great on the wallet for parents.

3 out of 4 games went into OT last night, that's great Hockey!