Any archery nuts here?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Have 4 myself . My shooter is a 2009 Hoyt pro elite in jade green, sword sight, bododdle rest, a bowjax stab. Used to shoot spots every Thursday night before I moved. Shoot in my back yard at least once a week.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Emcee Bunzing

Post by Emcee Bunzing »

I recently decided to get somewhat back into archery and start bowhunting after having an el cheapo 55 lb compound as a teenager, got myself a brand new PSE bruteX 60lb and have shot it almost every day since it arrived, i only backyard (more like back paddock) shoot, not a competitive person, but its great fun and one more hobby to add to the long list.
You are only as sharp as your knife. "Life is short. If you don't stop and look around... and do whatever you want all the time... then you could miss it."
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

shoot every friday it is a traditional sport here over in vlaanderen .
Attachments
2009_12060004.JPG
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

My oldest placed 5th in the State in his age group in 4H in 2009 right after he turned 11, and then didn't touch his bow until this year. He just started shooting competitively again and plans to start bow hunting next year.

He competes in Biloxi later this month and just came in 3rd in his age group at the "Multi-County 4H Competition", 3 points behind the winner last weekend (one of his friends had 141 to his 138, with the 2nd place being 139 to a kid from another county). He had the 3rd highest score overall of all age groups, so obviously his age group did the best.

Yesterday we went to Bass Pro and I bought my younger son (10) a Diamond Razorback so he can start shooting a real bow instead of the toy he has been using, and he is showing a natural knack for archery as well.

Both are natural marksmen that I started training at an early age with rifles and who have taken many deer since 2007.

ETA: Scores from last weekend. :)
I am one of the 0.45%.
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

bartvdb wrote:shoot every friday it is a traditional sport here over in vlaanderen .
Popinjay?
(That's a lot of blunts otherwise)
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

I've been shooting for a few years. I remember just getting into it. I looked at all the cool gear and the bow of my dreams was an Oneida compound recurve. I went to a local traditional shoot and talked to a few guys who were into traditional shooting. I was reluctant since it didn't have the cool feel. I shot a couple times using a recurve and I thought it was awesome.

I did end up buying my dream bow (Oneida Strike Eagle) and a Samick Spirit 2 Take-Down Recurve. Here are my thoughts.

Traditional shooting IMO, is much more rewarding. This is from a shooters perspective not necessarily an animals. Since I'm not a hunter I wanted something more for me. The traditional route offers a lighter bow, less reliance on equipment, and a indescribable sense of challenge and reward. No disrespect to compound shooters (though there is a sense of elitism on both sides that is very annoying). The trade off is it takes time and practice to shoot consistently and accurately. If I was an animal about to get shot, I would much prefer the likely cleaner kill of a compound bow. The compound IMO provides a more accurate shot with less training and skill.

In my observations with 3D shooting, the compounders (generally speaking) are too reliant on gear. They have rangefinders that take an enormous amount of time to read and adjust to take the shot. As a quick shooter I don't have the patience and hate getting stuck behind them. The trade off (playing devil's advocate) is they rarely spend time looking for arrows in the brush! I used to shoot with a compounder. He was a quick shooter too, but talked frequently about getting a rangefinder.

There is a point with traditional when you are fortunate to hit the target. This will eventually evolve into hitting the nose of a deer or the head of a turkey. The challenge is these shots are always difficult. You need to adjust for range and elevation using only instinctive techniques. When learning, the thing that always stuck was someone saying "shooting a bow is an extension of your body and should be no different than throwing a football or baseball."

I'm to the level now where I can shoot a moving clay target and I've Robin Hooded and arrow (though I think that has 100% to do with luck) and it is not fun to destroy two carbon arrows! My gear is limited to the Samick Recurve 55#, a leather finger tab, and a hip quiver. I shoot Gold Tip 35-55 with 125grain EZ-Pull field tips. I don't wear an arm guard anymore. I still lose 1-2 arrows per outing. Sometimes the stationary, foam deer jukes at the last second! :D
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

yes all blunts . this is wat we shooting at . 28 meters high .

.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Went to the bow shop yesterday and came home with a Martin Jaguar. Its a 45 pound recurve with a composite riser. It can be used as a simple traditional bow or you can deck it out like a compound. Pictures to come soon.
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

blaim it on the forum; :) :) and do not forget the pictures . good luck with your new bow
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

.357 mag wrote:Went to the bow shop yesterday and came home with a Martin Jaguar. Its a 45 pound recurve with a composite riser. It can be used as a simple traditional bow or you can deck it out like a compound. Pictures to come soon.
Just googled it. It looks pretty sweet. I like the look of take down bows.
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Well, I've had my recurve for a week now. Love shooting this bow. Something about shooting and hitting your target without the use of sights is crazy fun. Here is my last 2 arrows today.

And for fun, here is my 50 yard group with my compound

bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I don't believe I would start with a 60# bow, maybe buy something smaller to practice with.

I started in archery with recurve bows before compounds were on the market. I was on the college archery team and we used olympic-style rules. Then compounds came out and I started in field archery. I really liked archery, especially field archery, but it took up a lot of time and eventually got pushed aside by other things. I shot both recurves and compounds with sights and big stabilizers. Recurves we shot with fingers, compounds I shot with fingers and with mechanical releases.

I've owned several different compounds but I don't own any right now. I still own my old Hoyt Takedown II, signed by Earl Hoyt Jr. when we met him at a tournament long ago.
bonesmalones

Post by bonesmalones »

I shoot a Hoyt CRX 32 compound bow. "Get Serious, Get Hoyt." I love it!
SpyderNut

Re: Any archery nuts here?

Post by SpyderNut »

Decided to bump this old thread to see if we’ve got any new/old archery fans in here? I recently purchased a new bow to replace my ancient Martin Prowler. It’s been several years since I last shot, but it’s been a lot of fun getting back into this past-time pleasure of mine. My wife (an avid archer herself) has been instrumental in getting me back into the swing of things. Just got my new bow paper-tuned and sighted in. Really looking forward to going out hunting this fall.

So, let’s hear it; Who else enjoys archery?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I use to shoot a Jennings compound bow in college. Loved it. Someday, I may get back in to that, but right now I collect knives and am working to drop 40lbs!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

If you have access to Amazon Prime, check out episode 12 Zen of Prime Japan. Great sequences on Zen archery.
JD Spydo

Is MATTHEWS still any good?

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey guys I got an archery Question to ask you all. For reasons of all the knee & shoulder surgeries I've had in the past four years it's been a while since I've bow hunted. I had a "Matthews FX" which was a really nice bow that I used to hunt with. But I know that since I bought that Matthews FX ( 2005) I know that the archery scene has changed quite a bit.

My question is>> Does "MATTHEWS" still make a pretty decent compound bow? Or is there a new kid on the block that blows them out of the water?

I had my Matthews FX stolen from me over a year ago and maybe this fall I might get to hunt again. If there is a compound bow on the market that is better than Matthews I would love to know which compound bow that all you guys like?
SpyderNut

Re: Is MATTHEWS still any good?

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:17 am
Hey guys I got an archery Question to ask you all. For reasons of all the knee & shoulder surgeries I've had in the past four years it's been a while since I've bow hunted. I had a "Matthews FX" which was a really nice bow that I used to hunt with. But I know that since I bought that Matthews FX ( 2005) I know that the archery scene has changed quite a bit.

My question is>> Does "MATTHEWS" still make a pretty decent compound bow? Or is there a new kid on the block that blows them out of the water?

I had my Matthews FX stolen from me over a year ago and maybe this fall I might get to hunt again. If there is a compound bow on the market that is better than Matthews I would love to know which compound bow that all you guys like?
JD,
I’m sorry to hear about your bow. That really stinks that someone would do that. :( I’ve been out of the archery scene for a long time too (about eight years). Prior to buying a new bow, I went to several shops and shot a number of the new models to evaluate for myself. From what I gather, Mathews and Hoyt are still at the top, with Elite, Bowtech, and PSE not far behind. Obsession, Bear, and Prime are also very reputable. A lot of it comes down to personal preference. I shot an Elite Kure, Hoyt RX4 Carbon, Hoyt Axius Alpha, Hoyt Axius Ultra, and a Mathews VXR 28 and VXR 31.5. I came quite close to buying the Hoyt Axius Ultra, but then I shot the Mathews VXR 31.5 and my decision was made. To me, the VXR had a noticeably smoother draw, was dead quiet in the hand, and had virtually zero hand vibration. (The Elite Kure had perhaps the most hand vibration of the bows I tested, but it was also impressively fast). I also liked the fit and finish on the VXR. My wife also shoots a Mathews (Jewel) and she swears by it. She looked at a new Mathews Avail for women, but liked her Jewel better.
Several of the guys I talked to at our local pro shops said that they’ve been selling more Mathews over any other brand this year. Two of the pro shops dropped Hoyt because they said they were having trouble selling them in this particular area. From a cost perspective, all of the bows I shot were priced pretty competitively, except for the Hoyt RX4 Carbon. That bow alone came in at $1,650—with no quiver, sights, rest, etc.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have a Bowtech RPM 360. Can’t wait for October 1st!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:19 am
I have a Bowtech RPM 360. Can’t wait for October 1st!
I had two of my old pals tell me that Bowtech most definitely shoots the fastest arrow of any bow on the market. But neither one of them would swear to their accuracy. That's what I really liked about my old Matthews FX it was almost like shooting an accurate rifle. And you could get parts and service for it at almost any archery shop.

Yeah it really got me angry to the point to where I would have been tempted to get really violent when I discovered that my Matthews FX bow got stolen ( case & accessories too :mad: ). I guess it's probably best I never know who stole that bow from me. I do know this that most evil creeps reap what they sow eventually :mad: .

I'll probably narrow my search for a new bow down to Matthews and Bowtech. Both bows have sterling repuations. I might even look into a really good crossbow>> because with my shoulder surgery I could get a doctors permit for me to use one.