"Neptuneknives" "Reviews"

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
enduraguy

"Neptuneknives" "Reviews"

Post by enduraguy »

I don't know whether to love or "hate" this guy. I don't really approve of his love for spine whacking in his knife "reviews", but sometimes he seems to have some valid points. Anyone have any feelings about his "review" of the fluted Military?

[video=youtube;r1bNpZAU4tI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1bNpZAU4tI[/video]

Post by 1623 »

I don't own, nor have I ever handled a Millie, so I can't comment on the tech or QC side of the review.

I can tell you that his note balloons (which are full of spelling errors) popping up while I'm trying to really focus on what he's doing with the knife, drives me insane.

I've watched a couple of his other reviews and I find the spine whacking to be completely misleading and uncalled for. I believe there have been a couple threads debating that very topic and his approach to knife reviews. You should take any review with a grain of salt because they're based on opinion more than anything.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Edited.

Shiny footprints, shiny footprints.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

He prides himself in taking knives apart and has admitted in the past to not being able to properly assemble the Ti-Military. Something bout the "gimmicky jeweler screws" if I recall.

Frankly and I say this with all the shinyness I can muster...there are certainly are more qualified reviewers on the internet. I don't believe Neptune really is a Spyderco dealer either.

Wow, that understatement even hurts when I type it. :(
jossta

Post by jossta »

Zenith wrote:Edited.

Shiny footprints, shiny footprints.
That is about all I have to say. He provides a LOT of misinformation IMO.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

that guys drinks too much coffee...and isn't really factually accurate a lot of the time. I think that I would rather watch 5 nutnfancy reviews to another one of this guys.
On the hunt for...
angusW

Post by angusW »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:that guys drinks too much coffee...and isn't really factually accurate a lot of the time. I think that I would rather watch 5 nutnfancy reviews to another one of this guys.
lol
===========

Being a knife reviewer and not knowing that Spyderco puts Loctite on their screws and then admitting that he stripped it was all I needed to see.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
hawaiihunter

Post by hawaiihunter »

Reaction to nutnfancy: you said dude like ten times! :eek: Reaction to Neptuneknives: hit that paramilitary one more time and ill kill you :mad:
Looking for: Grey Cts-20cp Paramilitary 2
Green Cts-204p Paramilitary 2
S110v Mule

Currently own: Tenacious, Green Cts-204P Paramiitary 2
jossta

Post by jossta »

Lol, then don't watch him cut the Para w/ the SnG...
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I'm not a fan. That's as much as I will say.
-Ryan
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Wow, I've never seen this guy before but between jerking the knives around an the torrent of word balloons I could only stand to watch the first minute.

And what a font of misinformation, higher end knives have fewer screws?
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Slash

Post by Slash »

My Mom always told me if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Everyone is intitled to their own opinions. I would question anyones actual daily or recreational use of a knife based on the way they talk about it. I REALLY question anything Neptune does.
thelock

Post by thelock »

He is a good friend of mine. I don't always agree with him, but he is not afraid of speaking the truth and testing knives to their limits, which I like. He never said he was a Spyderco dealer.
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

angusW wrote:lol
===========

Being a knife reviewer and not knowing that Spyderco puts Loctite on their screws and then admitting that he stripped it was all I needed to see.
I noticed these comments as well. He also makes it seem like he's on a first name basis with Eric Glesser with his comments about the screw "problem" and such :) Definitely an "interesting" character. I wish I had the $$ to waste that this guy apparently does.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Taz, I promised not to say anything if I can't say anything good.

So here. I'm happy I have a slow connection when I clicked the link. :D
SMI

Post by SMI »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Taz, I promised not to say anything if I can't say anything good.
Chuck, I think an exception can be made just this once right? Ha.

I respect the guy for putting out vids. Putting vids in the public eye comes with a ton of criticism, whether the vids are good or bad. But frankly, these are hard to watch. He is so far off base with so many things in so many vids.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I just think you have a responsibility to be on-point with your information if you speak with any authority. Even YouTube videos place a podium of influence in-front of the person.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

thelock wrote:He is a good friend of mine. I don't always agree with him, but he is not afraid of speaking the truth and testing knives to their limits, which I like. He never said he was a Spyderco dealer.
If you substitute "giving his opinion" for "speaking the truth" then more power to him for doing reviews. Not my cup of tea, however.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
jossta

Post by jossta »

Sequimite wrote:If you substitute "giving his opinion" for "speaking the truth" then more power to him for doing reviews. Not my cup of tea, however.
x100000

Speak the truth is not the truth.
thelock

Post by thelock »

Well maybe you are right, but I have never seen anybody testing knives like he did and he showed when they can fail and how. Having that all on video is showing facts and not opinion, which I like.
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set