Chris reeve small sebenza 21

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
blackwell

Chris reeve small sebenza 21

Post by blackwell »

Anyone have a small sebenza 21? If so what are your thought it, im thinking of picking one up, my main concern is ease of opening with the thumb stud. Also how do you feel on the quality of chris reeve knives? Thank you in advance.
:spyder:C81GGY20CP2 Para 2 sprint - EDC
:spyder:C157GTIP Lionspy
Paradiggum

Post by Paradiggum »

I have a couple and like them a lot. Very high quality and easy to open.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I had a small Insingo Sebenza, currently carry a large lefty 21. The thumb stud opens with a different technique than most others that are easily flicked and is certainly no Spyder-hole. The small 21 thumb stud was easier for me to adapt to vs. the large that seems to have a wider sweeping motion (duh, it's larger). Neither are difficult after a little knifesturbation though.

Look into the Insingo. I liked mine and will buy another if CRK ever makes a small left-hand one.
blackwell

Post by blackwell »

Yea, I was debating on getting the small or the large, but I think the small is better for the use I am buying it for, a high quality summer EDC utility knife. Im used to our beloved spyderhole and was just worried on how the thumb stud would compare. I will post pics when I purchase it!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Incredible tools, a pleasure to use, ultra-meticulously manufactured, but not cheap.

I currently have three smalls and four larges, in various configurations.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

The Sebenza is a great knife. Quality is stunning. I have 2 smalls and a large Insingo. When you talk about "ease of opening" understand that it is easy to open but it isn't designed to play with in front of the TV. Open it, cut stuff and close it. Chris R mentioned that he makes knives not worry beads. When I want to fidget, I take out my PM2. Get one, after the initial "@#$!, what have just paid for this very plain looking knife", you will love it. Just the finish to the spine makes it worth the cost to me.

At worst, you dislike it and sell it and not be too much out of pocket.

P2 (with a small 21 in my pocket as I type)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Slightly off topic...but not too much. I've been looking at getting a Sebenza (lefty version) and my only real concern after fondling for a while. Was the fact that the S30V (or S35VN) isn't treated very hard. I was wondering how the edge retention was on the Sebenza Vs any of the Spyderco S30V.

And if anyone that has both, has a preference between the S30V and the S35VN?
On the hunt for...
SMI

Post by SMI »

I love my small lefty sebenza 21, but I did a few things to make it a little better IMO. The tolerances and build quality are top notch and frankly I have yet to find better in a production knife. Smooth out of the box and feels like a fixed blade as far as strength. Obviously not quite as strong because... yes it is still a folding knife (but you get the idea). Lock up is very solid, after months of use... it is still right at 50%. Blade centering hasn't changed at all either and the opening is just getting smoother/faster daily. Pivot screw doesn't loosen at all either due to the bushing. That is one thing I always hated about folders.

The heat treat on my s30v seb was way to soft compared to other s30v's I've owned/used/sold. After a day of use the edge had lost a lot of cutting power, rolled and blunted in a few spots. Now I know CR says this is one of the benefits of his S30 HT (no chipping), but frankly it rolled and dulled quicker than my VG10 blades (spyderco). Which really surprised me because with other s30v blades, I could go a while without having to do any major sharpening. I used it the exact same as other s30 blades I've had, no cutting metal or stupid abuse (just cardboard, boxes, packages, little whittling, etc). I honestly think CR needs to bump it up a point or two. I sent mine over to Buck/Bos heat treating and had them harden it to 60. Amazing knife now, what a difference.

After the Bos HT I haven't had any chipping problems (not even micro), no rolling, blunting, etc. And frankly it is much easier to sharpen. I felt like the softer s30v took a while to sharpen because I had to be so **** delicate with my strokes. Of course others seem to have no problem with the softer steel, sharpening or otherwise. But for me, I didn't buy a sebenza to hone my sharpening skills. I want a steel that will last longer than my 50 dollar delica.

I don't really like the stud either, ha. I called up benchmade and had em send some 470 emissary studs.... much much better.

Oh and I put a meerkat clip on there too so it rides a lot lower.

Other than that, definitely the best folder I've owned and I don't see myself buying another knife for a long time.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I have plenty of both. The Sebenza is run ~ a point lower than Spyderco usually runs its S30V. In a apples to apples test, the Seb will have slightly poorer edge retention. My sense of why CRK runs the blade a little softer is that it makes it less subject to edge chipping problems, so it's a trade-off. In real life, as opposed to reading test results on the internet, I really don't notice any differences that cause me any problems or annoyance. Do I wish the Sebs still came with 61-62 Rc BG-42 blades? Yeah, they run forever...but then they take a proportionately longer time to sharpen back up, too. Given all the other variables in this area (hardness is only part of the mix, since things like primary and secondary bevels affect results), I have found it is a non-issue.
blackwell

Post by blackwell »

I keep getting told I should get the large first, but when I see the small it looks like a decent size. Anyone have both and if so which is your preferred edc?
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

blackwell wrote:I keep getting told I should get the large first, but when I see the small it looks like a decent size. Anyone have both and if so which is your preferred edc?
Weekdays in an office environment surrounded by non-knife people I EDC the small, weekends and holidays the large comes out. I guess you need to make the call on the environment you find yourself in but looking at the knives in your signature, I suppose size doesn't matter :) Get the large. I shouldn't have waited a year between getting my first small and and my large.

P2
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Google Sebenza with gloves. A video should pop up where I open and close it with welding gloves.

Use the search option and you will find many threads regarding the Sebenza.

Simply put: exceptional tolerances and if Spyderco had to run the same tolerances it would cost the same. (Indirect quote from Sal Glesser).
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
blackwell

Post by blackwell »

Image Got it today and I love it!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

What is your impression so far? Is it all you thought it would be? I have one as well just wondering
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Congratulatuons !...what a beauty. Let us know what you think after you have used it a bit.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Many call them "too plain" but their simple construction is what makes them special. The tolerances have to been seen and felt. You think a round pin just pops into a hole but not on a Sebenza. You better have that pin perfectly level and centered! The only thing that is going to make this picture better for me is adding the orange Para2......

USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Gorgeous picture, Leatherneck! The lighting is fantastic!

TedP
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Leatherneck wrote: You think a round pin just pops into a hole but not on a Sebenza.
TRVTH ! :D And very well said, too. :)
dcmartin2001

Post by dcmartin2001 »

Congrats! I have a LG tanto Sebenza and an Unmunzaan... Love them both.

I did a scotch brite treatment to the Lg Sebbie and left the Unmun alone :D