My Trip to Centralia, Pennsylvania's Land of Eternal Fire. Lots o' Pics

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Rwb1500

My Trip to Centralia, Pennsylvania's Land of Eternal Fire. Lots o' Pics

Post by Rwb1500 »

(This was originally written for a local audience, so forgive the expectancy of familiarity.)

I was in Scranton for the weekend, and on our way back south today the wife and I decided we'd go check out Centralia. If you don't know what it is;

Centralia is a borough and ghost town in Columbia County, Pennsylvania, United States. Its population has dwindled from over 1,000 residents in 1981 to 12 in 2005,[1] 9 in 2007, and 7 in 2010[2] as a result of a mine fire burning beneath the borough since 1962. Centralia is now the least-populous municipality in Pennsylvania, with four fewer residents than the borough of S.N.P.J..
Centralia is part of the Bloomsburg–Berwick Micropolitan Statistical Area. The borough is completely surrounded by Conyngham Township.
All properties in the borough were claimed under eminent domain by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1992 (and all buildings therein were condemned), and Centralia's ZIP code was revoked by the Post Office in 2002.[1] However, a few residents continue to reside there in spite of a failed lawsuit to reverse the eminent domain claim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

Check the source for more fascinating reading...

I've always been curious about this town that's been burning underground since 1962. It's crazy. I'm just gonna show you guys the pics and try to explain them. I'd recommend you check it out.

***All these photographs were taken by my wife and are her property, and cannot be reproduced or used in anyway with her consent, etc. Just saying. (Her website; [url]http://www.holdinglifestillphotography.com)***[/url]

Inviting huh?

This smoking hillside used to be on a block in a residential neighborhood. Not so much anymore. There are quite a few spots around town where gas and smoke vents out through the earth. If you go, BE CAREFUL.

More smoking vents.

My sweet ***.

"I don't see what the big deal is, just noxious gasses, sinkholes opening up all around you, no big deal, right?"

This is my favorite part. There was a divided highway that ran through the town, Route 61. Evidently things got nasty under the road, and it split, cracked, opened up, you name it. So, in 1993 they closed of the affected section of it. Dirt berms (Think a closed rest stop on the Turnpike) were built at either end and the road rerouted. There is about a mile, maybe a little more of road that is totally deserted, save an extensive graffiti gallery. This is eerie. Just about as spooky as it gets.

Road upheaval.

From the top down.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Surveying the destruction.

This may be the most badass picture of me in existence. Wasn't even intentional.

Here's a few artsy shots for those of you who are into that. My wife is extremely talented. I just realized I've done a very poor job of representing that here, but oh well. She took something like 600 pictures that day. These are just the ones of me... :D

Overall? I had a very good time. It was crazy, and surreal. Definitely one of the most surreal things I've ever experienced.

IF YOU GO. Pm me. And please be careful. There are literally holes in the ground that are hot as **** and spewing gases that will kill you. Stay on the high ground. Stay out of low areas. Pay attention to what you smell. There are areas where you will actually feel the temperature rise. We experienced this mostly to the right of the cemetery. There were places you could actually feel the heat through your shoes. We didn't stay in those areas.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Wow eerie is right, I instantly thought of the movie "silent hill", and I see after checking the wikipedia that the town was the idea behind the film.
Thanks for sharing, great photos your girlfriend is very talented.
gac

Post by gac »

Great post.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

w3tnz wrote:Wow eerie is right, I instantly thought of the movie "silent hill", and I see after checking the wikipedia that the town was the idea behind the film.
Thanks for sharing, great photos your girlfriend is very talented.
That she is. She makes all the money too. And she got the looks as well. I just kill spiders and lift heavy things
gac wrote:Great post.
Thanks!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

cool pics, i remember watching a show on the town...looks spooky and cool. I'd like to see it and that military town that is abandoned (im sure there are more than one) that the mythbusters use during their car myths. I bet both places have to be freaky at night, how late did you stay? i bet your wife could take some really wild looking pictures of the town with a full moon.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

The old highway shots gives off the feel of years after an Apocalypse or something like it.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

tonydahose wrote:cool pics, i remember watching a show on the town...looks spooky and cool. I'd like to see it and that military town that is abandoned (im sure there are more than one) that the mythbusters use during their car myths. I bet both places have to be freaky at night, how late did you stay? i bet your wife could take some really wild looking pictures of the town with a full moon.
We had places to be, so we were gone way before sunset. I bet the place would be cool at night though.
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

My wife and I have also passed through Centralia, but didn't explore as much of it as you did. Thanks for posting these great pictures!
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That is really cool i'd love to visit that place but i wouldn't feel safe with the kids there with me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Studey

Post by Studey »

Those shots are amazing man. I just showed them to my wife...we really enjoyed them. Pass along my compliments to your wife...cool trip!
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Excellent photos, I can imagine the eerie factor was pretty high! If I was a zombie, I would vacation there. :rolleyes: :D
:spyder:
Dan
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

OldSarSwmr wrote:Excellent photos, I can imagine the eerie factor was pretty high! If I was a zombie, I would vacation there. :rolleyes: :D
It was eerie. I kept telling my wife that any minute mutant zombie rabbits would attack.
Donut

Post by Donut »

That looks awesome. I want to visit. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
HighDesertSpyder

Post by HighDesertSpyder »

Very cool pics... reminds me of the Picher area in the Tri-state mining district. Same premise there as in Centralia. Off to see if I can find any erie video or posts on more abandoned towns, etc!
:spyder:74:spyder:
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

HighDesertSpyder wrote:Very cool pics... reminds me of the Picher area in the Tri-state mining district. Same premise there as in Centralia. Off to see if I can find any erie video or posts on more abandoned towns, etc!
I'll try to dig up some more pics tomorrow.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Hope you had a Spyderco in that bag. How far is that from Bradford? I plan to go there one of these days?
BAL

Post by BAL »

That is absolutely awesome Rwb1500, i hadn't heard of this town before. Burning underground
since 1962, crazy. Great pictures by your better half, tip of the cap to her. Thanks for posting these.

But seriously dude, I saw nothing in any of these pictures that in anyway, I would classify as "sweet".
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

BAL wrote:That is absolutely awesome Rwb1500, i hadn't heard of this town before. Burning underground
since 1962, crazy. Great pictures by your better half, tip of the cap to her. Thanks for posting these.

But seriously dude, I saw nothing in any of these pictures that in anyway, I would classify as "sweet".
Bahaha. Sweet is in the eye if the beholder?

If my posterior doesn't do it for you play "Spot the Firearm". It will be painfully obvious for some, you'll wonder why you missed it.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Lol, I've been surprised that no one's asked you what you're carrying.