2 "new" non-Spyderco folders today

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sequimite

2 "new" non-Spyderco folders today

Post by Sequimite »

The SR-1 arrived in the mail. Visually stunning, but ...

I had almost forgotten how much I hate thumb studs - just awful. Opening it with two hands I still managed to pinch my finger between the stud and the handle. The milled metal is secure while fully gripped, but slick enough to worry me about retention when moving to or from a full grip. The Spydie-hole and G-10 side seem like significant practical, if not aesthetic, improvements. I'll use it but my guess it won't stay in the pocket very long.

I stopped at a local pawn shop whose prices are usually way high but, as their knives were 30% off, I took a look. There was a cherry Benchmade 740 Dejavoo for $32. I had decided long ago not to buy Benchmade, but this Bob Lum model had really intrigued me and here it was for $32 at a shop where I had a $50 credit - I bought it.

The blade still had the original factory edge. Other than some scratches on the clip it would have passed for NIB. The slender 4" leaf blade put me in mind of both the Lum Chinese and the Calypso. The rounded scales were just as comfortable as I had imagined with layer patterns in the G-10 that were both attractive and grippy. The ti liner locked up perfectly with no play. The broad thumb ramp reminded me of my Lil' Temp. It had many of my favorite Spyderco features, including its ilicit hole. Goodness knows how many Hail Mary's and Our Father's I will have to recite to atone for this, but I love this knife. Actually, the answer to the speculation in the last sentence is "none" since I'm Jewish, not Catholic.

Negatives? The blade swedge while very attractive makes choking up on the blade more difficult. The blade retention problem is of no concern to me since I carry it, hung from its low rider clip, on the right side of my right rear pocket.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have been wanting an SR-1 for a while, but I knew the thumb stud vs. spyder hole change would really be a loss of functionality for me. On the other hand, I like the idea of the milled, single piece titanium or aluminum vs. the G-10 Lionspy. Let us know more input if you decide to use it and put it through it's paces.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jossta

Post by jossta »

I hated thumbstuds until my VECP, now I love them if properly executed.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

That BM 740 would have been too hard to pass up for that price. I have one and it is one of my smoothest openers. I don't carry it much anymore but it was a gift so I still keep it around. I hope you enjoy both.

Dan
:spyder:
Dan
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

I heard that Lion Steel titanium is particularly soft, so I would be careful with keys etc. in your pockets. Though you would like a heads up. :)
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

mkd

Post by mkd »

i have more benchmades than i do spydies and all though i never really liked the shape of the lum it is one of the smoothest benchmades knives i've ever opened.for $32.00 you got a steal!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sequimite wrote: I had almost forgotten how much I hate thumb studs - just awful. Opening it with two hands I still managed to pinch my finger between the stud and the handle.
The same happened with me couple years ago, when I bought Mcusta Take Coco. I still love the look, but hate to operate.
Sequimite wrote: There was a cherry Benchmade 740 Dejavoo for $32. I had decided long ago not to buy Benchmade,
Goodness knows how many Hail Mary's and Our Father's I will have to recite to atone for this, but I love this knife.
I am almost in the same shoes. I really like Mini-Onslaught. I didn't buy it yet, but really fighting the urge. It so similar to my Persian. Also I am getting a little bored from peel-ply G10, polished G10 or micarta look much better
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
fret

Post by fret »

I don't like thumb studs either. Can't beat the Spydie hole.