Encounter with a NKP(s)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mako109

Encounter with a NKP(s)

Post by Mako109 »

I just had to get this recent experience off my chest.

I went on a day hike at the Marin Headlands, a beautiful wildlife area just north of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. I was among friends and some that I had just met that day. We stopped for lunch and I took out from my backpack several pears to share. I also reached in my pack for a SAK to slice the pears. As I brought it out, one woman (about mid 30’s) stated in a stern tone “You carry a KNIFE?!?!” I was puzzled by her stern face and casually responded, “Yes to share the pears”. As I opened the blade she stated in an alarmed and louder tone “THAT’S A SERIOUS KNIFE, OH MY GOD” then stood up turned and stormed away with along with one of her girlfriends to sit somewhere else. This is her reaction to a standard SAK “Compact” (one blade, scissors, can opener, and bottle opener.) Now, I’m a respectable person (at least I think so) a business executive, an active member of my community, etc, but this experience really made me feel a bit odd. It serves as a poignant reminder to me of how some people perceive knives and how polarizing it can be (especially to city people, and especially in San Francisco where almost everyone is anti-this or that and not afraid to yell at anyone who doesn’t share in their opinion). Good thing I didn’t bring a Military with me because this woman would have likely called the police if she saw that. Also good that I didn’t care about this person or her opinion of me, otherwise I would have felt much worse.

Anyway, just thought I’d share this incident as a reminder of how different people can be; how the carrying of pocket knives can be so misconstrued; and how polarizing knives can be to some. Always be mindful of your company, be safe, and be discrete.

OK getting off my soapbox, I feel better now. Thanks for reading.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

That's why we call them Sheeple! Even if it was a SAK, your lucky she didn't have the S.W.A.T. team down on you because "there is a madman in the park waving a knife around"
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

I am as respectful to other people as anyone else here is, but I do not care what sheeple have to say. If I bring out a knife, it is to cut something...a thing, not someone, so if a person is uncomfortable with that, oh well! Especially when it is obvious that you've no malice or ill intentions towards anyone and you're using a knife as a tool, not a weapon. Ahhh, I'm starting to rant right now, so I'll say this, I'm glad I live in Arizona were the probability of running into sheeple is pretty rare.

You know what, I'm going to carry ten knives on me for the rest of the week now! :p
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Maybe she was just sad for the fruits.... I know in your area, some people might get pretty ticky when things happens to food!!!!

Simon...

USA is really a weird country where they have tv shows like The Walking Dead where you see dead people walking around being killed with a knife going through their brains and then, you can't cut a pear to share.... Weird place!
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

So many people say they'll just whip it out and not care, but iono, IMO, that's not very considerate. Some people are just bothered by such things, and I guess you'll just have to accept it and try to be a little more "Safe" in your handling. (Slow opens, small hand motions) I find that not caring about the knife, and not making an obvious display, keeping everything low, and making small controlled cuts with two hands help.

Also, I find that many people are more scared of teenagers such as me. :confused: Just something.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

It is hard to argue with a knee jerk reaction caused by a whole lifetime of brainwashing from various sources.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

What really concerns me the most about this is the irony of the situation. When food prep is concerned, how else would you prepare servings for multiple parties? So I would bet dollars to donuts that when she is at home in her kitchen and has to prepare food for multiple guests, I guarantee she will be reaching for her 6"-8" chef blade or at least a 4" paring knife. All of the previous having a blade much larger and more intimidating that your SAK. This is such an outrage when you consider the likely fact that more people have been stabbed with a fixed blade kitchen knife vs. a small slip-joint folder. I was hungry before I read this post, now I have lost my appetite. Sorry for your struggle Mako. Hope you have an easier closing to your week.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

This thread is WAY different than most of it's nature. You even had a Swiss Army Knife :confused: . A civil person cutting fruit while hiking?

We all have our sensitivities but that lady was far from normal. I'm sure she is a nice person but her Spydie-Sense (no pun intended) needs recalibration.

Anonymous wrote:If I worried about everything that bothered people......well, need I say more?
It just depends if people feel threatened or not. On a basic level it's common courtesy to tread lightly if others feel uneasy. If you have done everything possible to set someone at ease and they remain in a paranoid state at least you have tried. Carrying a legal knife shouldn't panic people but oh well.

Nobody views automobiles as murderous battering rams of doom and they kill thousands of times more people per year than pocket knives. ;)
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I generally use the phrase:
"Well, I don't have scissors with me, and they wouldn't work anyway."

Or

"We are where we are because our ancestors mastered fire and knives. Maybe you're just a troglodyte if you're scared of tools."
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Well she showed you! How dare you offer her your pear...you just met. :cool:
All I could think of while reading it was, later if you saw her about to leave, saying "YOU HAVE A CAR?!" "That's a serious car, those things kill people!"
To some people, a knife anywhere but in the kitchen is a weapon.
Jumping off a boat in a bathing suit and it's called swimming, jump off a boat in street clothes and it's called drowning. :rolleyes:

My name is Dan and I support outdoor fruit slicing.
:spyder:
Dan
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

OldSarSwmr wrote:...My name is Dan and I support outdoor fruit slicing.
You are among friends Dan, we support that you support outdoor fruit slicing! LMAO
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

This is a sad story all around: it's sad that you had to feel "shame" for preparing food, and sad that people like her live in so much false fear. I just feel sorry for people with such misplaced fears. She had a better chance of being struck by lightening on the trail, twice, than coming to harm from your SAK. What has happened to this country? Who are we as a people? :(
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've spent a little time (but not enough!) in San Francisco. It is a fascinating city - one of only two or three Uniquely-American cities (along with Santa Fe and New Orleans). The one thing I always laugh at is folks' tendency to "fly their own flag." You are absolutely right, Mako, the citizens of San Fran aren't shy about letting you know their position on issues!

On the East Coast, folks tend to avert their eyes and quickly move away. To be honest, I appreciate the extra space... :cool:

TedP
BAL

Post by BAL »

The older I get and the more I am made aware of such people, the more I desire to
hide away in some isolated area of the world and I live in the middle of nowhere as it is.
I used to like to have serious type discussions with people about these type of things
to perhaps open their minds and learn things myself, but sometimes it seems like we
are being over-run with stupidness.
BAL

Post by BAL »

It would be interesting to know how those two NKP would feel if someone came in the park
and threatened them, or grabbed their purse or worse yet, tried to take them away in a vehicle.
Would they feel the same or would they be be glad that someone might have the ability and tools
to protect their lives.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

You get strange reactions from some people but don't let that put you off using and carrying your knives the way they were intended. I had the opposite reaction a while ago when I was chatting with a lady friend and I cautiously mentioned that I carried a knife (expecting a negative reaction) ... far from it - she said "Wow, great - can I try it?" ... a few minutes later she was flipping assisted-openers and asking where she could get a Spydie. Same with my girlfriend - as soon as I showed her one of the small Spydies she wanted one! :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
BAL

Post by BAL »

ChrisR wrote:You get strange reactions from some people but don't let that put you off using and carrying your knives the way they were intended. I had the opposite reaction a while ago when I was chatting with a lady friend and I cautiously mentioned that I carried a knife (expecting a negative reaction) ... far from it - she said "Wow, great - can I try it?" ... a few minutes later she was flipping assisted-openers and asking where she could get a Spydie. Same with my girlfriend - as soon as I showed her one of the small Spydies she wanted one! :D
Ok so you restored my faith in humanity, I'll stay in the mainsteam a bit longer.
r small

Post by r small »

The late Jeff Cooper referred to people like the afore-mentioned woman as "hoplophobes". Someone with an irrational fear of weapons.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

perhaps you should carry a giant hammer and dole out the fuit that way al la gallagher??
[video=youtube;gasAFyonmmI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gasAFyonmmI[/video]
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D