Handle Material Source?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

I think I'm going to use Micarta and mosaic pins for my Woodcraft mule. Where do you guys get your Micarta? I've found some sources online, but am curious if anyone can vouch for a specific site. Also, I'm thinking canvas Micarta because my understanding is that it's more durable and offers more traction than linen Micarta does. Is that true?
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The three sites I use for most of my Micarta are Jantz Supply, USA Knifemaker Supply and Texas Knifemaker's Supply. All are great companies to work with.

I think all commercial-grade Micarta is equally durable - it is pretty tough stuff. The three main substrates are cotton canvas, linen, and paper. The canvas micarta gives a really nice texture for outdoor knives if you finish it with rougher grits or sandblast it. The canvas gives a nice grip. Almost all Micarta can take a good high-gloss polish if you keep moving up to higher grits and finish with some rouge.

I can't say I've had the same experience with some of the home-brew "micarta" that I see advertised on eBay. They make it in their backyards using ripped up old jeans, canvas feedbags or whatnot. I've had nothing except bad luck with that stuff. They seem to have voids, pits, and uneven finishes. They also tend to be made from epoxy instead of phenolic resin like real micarta.

Good luck and have fun!

TedP
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I can vouch for Alpha Knife Supply. They are 100% reliable. Doubt there's any appreciable difference in durability between paper, linen, and canvas micarta. I tend to think finish is more a factor than type, where micarta is concerned, but the canvas may be perceived as offering more traction simply because it's less likely to be given a highly polished finish.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I've used all of the above plus KnifeKits.com, which is good but can be a tad slow shipping. My favorite supplier, when he's got what I need, is definitely AKS.
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'm going to go with green canvas micarta and natural micarta pins on my Woodcraft mule. I also plan on to get some maroon linen micarta and black micarta pins for a future mule.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I go with Sheffields, seems to be the cheapest one around.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
2cha

Post by 2cha »

JNewell wrote:I've used all of the above plus KnifeKits.com, which is good but can be a tad slow shipping. My favorite supplier, when he's got what I need, is definitely AKS.
Ditto.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Minibear453 wrote:I go with Sheffields, seems to be the cheapest one around.
I do wish Sheffields would get an online ordering capability. Ordering off a 2007 PDF catalog is a bit strange...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

I agree, Ted. I checked out Sheffield's for the first time last night (hadn't heard of it) and they do seem to have a good selection and prices. However, I am put off by the fact that I have to read through a PDF and understand that their prices have probably risen since the catalog was produced 4-5 years ago.
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

So I got my Micarta. Two green canvas scales and two maroon linen scales. The canvas is really glossy on one side and softer (like canvas) on the other. My question is, which side should I glue to th knife? The rough side, or glossy?