Another flashlight thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
rg02

Another flashlight thread

Post by rg02 »

Hi all. I currently own a sure fire E2D for EDC. I used to carry it via the pocket clip but have recently moved it to my maxpedition fatty EDC. I am looking for a small but somewhat strong pocket light for EDC that has at least a low and high setting and that takes either c123 or AAA and preferably has a pocket clip. I have my eye on the quark mini x 123 from 4sevens, but it doesn't have a pocket clip. I suppose it's so small that loose pocket carry is comfortable. Oh yeah, I am looking for $60 or less if I can :D

Thanks for the help!
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Take a look at the Fedix PD20. I have been carrying the P2D which is an earlier model and I really like the compactness and output.
powernoodle

Post by powernoodle »

rg02 wrote: I have my eye on the quark mini x 123 from 4sevens
Do it. Mine rides in a small Fenix (I think) open top belt holster, or it works in the pocket. The flavor pairs nicely with a black Tenacious.

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Fenix LD-01 is a great AAA light. I've only owned 4 or 5 "nicer" AAA or AA lights. I'm not a light guy. I now have two. The LD-01 and a Fenix E11 (AA). The E11 doesn't have a clip. The LD-01 does. It only has a twist head switch which I like. One turn is medium. Turn off and on and get low. Third time you get high. I can walk my dog with it on med. with no problem at all. I have a 16' retractable leash and the med. setting is more than enough. The low is fine for looking under the couch for my grandson's toys. :) I doubt if I would have bought as many Spyderco's as I did if I had gotten the Sage1 and Gayle Bradley first. Now that I have the Fenix LD-01 I don't need any other EDC light. Here is a picture of it and the Jester with it for size comparison. Oh yeah, Chaparral is hanging out too. One yank on the FOB and I have the light or knife right there. Without the FOB, just grab the top of the light. Since I got that light I have no desire for another small flashlight. It is unbelievable how much lights these little guys put out. Until about 6 months ago I was using a Mini-Mag. :(

Jack
Attachments
EDC 1 Jester, light,  Chaparral EDC.jpg
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Idk how much light your asking for, but the mini 123 is an awesome light. Throw a lanyard on it to make it more accessable from the pocket. Totaly comfortable to keep even in tight jean pockets. Check out the Quark 123 as well, its not much bigger then the mini and has more features, longer runtimes, and a clicky as opposed to a twist. Nothing wrong with a twist, just depends on your flavor.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Thanks for the input so far everyone. Keep it coming! The Fenix pd20 intrigues me as well......
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
rg02

Post by rg02 »

I found a 4sevens quark 123 online that has a pocket clip. I am leaning towards this model heavily :D
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
mkd

Post by mkd »

take a look at the zebra light products! i have the h51 which has 3 light levels and comes with a pocket clip.dependable well built light! the other light i pocket carry is the nitecore d11 which has an infinite light setting.it comes with a lanyard but no pocket clip.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm with mkd. Check out the Zebralight SC31 or SC51. They are available in various tints and the user interface blows the Quark out of the water.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Slightly off topic, but I heard the preon 0 just came out. Any reports?
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I have a Fenix PD20 as well. It's an excellent light.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Minibear453 wrote:Slightly off topic, but I heard the preon 0 just came out. Any reports?
I found this review but have no personal experience:
http://www.laymanslights.venturous.org/ ... s-preon-0/

In the world of tiny and simple AAA lights I have one of these which works great on an Eneloop: http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1076

I like the 5/60 lumen modes of the DQGII. The Preon 0 is like .2/35 so it depends what your preference is.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Monocrom wrote:I have a Fenix PD20 as well. It's an excellent light.
I am leaning towards this.
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
mkd

Post by mkd »

i have never owned a c123 battery light probably because i'm old school.i do have lot's of gadgets that take different batteries and i have one tupperware box filled with batteries that goes with me 3 times a year camping and hunting.i have aaa,aa,c cell,d cell,and 9volt,plus some spare bulbs.with my introduction to high tech flashlights i pretty well leave my c and d cell mag lights behind in the tool box.that being said i take fewer and smaller batteries with me than before.if i had my choice everything i have ellectronically would be all one battery size.my motorola talkabouts,garmin handheld gps, canon digital camera,and now just the nitecore and fennix lights i pack with me are all the same size battery.i also invested in a powerex mhc 204 charger for nimh batteries.it is really convienient to have most of the battery operated stuff to run off the same size rechargeable batteries.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

does anyone have experience with olight brand flashlights?
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
rg02

Post by rg02 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Take a look at the Fedix PD20. I have been carrying the P2D which is an earlier model and I really like the compactness and output.
Chuck----I took your advice and went with the FEnix PD20. it should be here friday. cant wait!
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
Tank

Post by Tank »

Take a look at the iTP EOS A3. runs on 1 AAA has three modes.. 1.5 30 and 80 lums and has a pocket clip. I had one up until I lost it a couple of weeks ago. :(
-John
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Blerv wrote: I like the 5/60 lumen modes of the DQGII. The Preon 0 is like .2/35 so it depends what your preference is.
I believe the Preon 0 actually hits around 50 lumens, since the 35 is OTF lumens. May be wrong though. I'm probably going to buy that just to test it out.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

rg02 wrote:does anyone have experience with olight brand flashlights?
I do. Very solid, and well-made. Olight owns iTP (another quality Made in China brand). There are flashlight companies in China that put out junk, then there are companies based in China that put out quality lights. Fenix, and Olight are two examples of quality companies based in China.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder: