Bug out pack/SHTF pack

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mojo51

Bug out pack/SHTF pack

Post by Mojo51 »

Im putting a pack together for a road trip in April where I'm going to be doing some back country trails driving and camping in Utah and northern Arizona. So far I have a hatchet, 2 knives, emergency saw, flare gun, leatherman multi tool, first aid kit, dried food, matches/lighter and two flashlights. Any suggestions or ideas?
Tea Party Patriot and 3% Oath Keeper
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

.44 mag
BAL

Post by BAL »

Chapstick, visine, Preparation H (seriously), toothpicks, pain pills of some kind,
camera, extra batteries, small binoculars, small plastice bags to carry or separate
different items and for rain/water protection, hat, Glock, bandaids for cuts or blisters,
spray bandiseptic, sunglasses, string\rope, pen and small pad of paper (you never
know when you might want to write something, meet someone and share info, remind
yourself of something to do later etc) and probably other stuff, I just thought of
these quickly.

We do quite a bit of hiking and you can actually carry quite a bit of useful stuff
in a small space and it doesn't weigh that much. It's amazing what I can fit into a
backpack. I do like the little ziplock bags that people use for sandwiches or other food.
They work great to separate small items in a backpack and keep them protected from
water.

Good luck, drive safe and enjoy. Did I say take a camera, extra cards and batteries.
You want to remember the trip later.
Mojo51

Post by Mojo51 »

Thanks Bal. there is a lot of good stuff on that list. As far as the .44 mag in going go with my old stand by Glock 26 with 2 extra full size mags from my glock 22.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Preparation H and Imodium will save your butt. Literally.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I've found a small container of hand-sanitizer to be helpful, both for cleaning hands, and as an emergency fire starter.

Braided fishing line is also useful, both as part of a fishing kit (don't know if there will be any streams/water nearby?) and also for repairing gear. It is incredibly strong.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
rg02

Post by rg02 »

jossta wrote:Preparation H and Imodium will save your butt. Literally.
agree with this. preperation H medicated wipes are awesome. doubles as TP and soothing haha.
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
rg02

Post by rg02 »

-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
2cha

Post by 2cha »

antifungal powerder, good socks and put a couple tampons in the first aid kit--they have a variety of first aid and survival uses
Mojo51

Post by Mojo51 »

rg02 wrote:http://www.kittitassar.org/docs/24hr_pack_checklist.pdf

handy checklist to print out
Great check list. Thanks
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The stuff you would never think of needing...put that in there. I'd put a huge bundle of paracord somewhere...maybe roll it up and tie it off to the outside of the pack somewhere. I'd throw in some kind of sharpening tool, some kind of metal container with a handle to boil water in. Tampons are a great suggestions, also stick on maxi pads. If you're not super pressed for space and weight, throw a bottle of saline solution in there in case you need to rinse your eyes out.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cubsfan1969

Post by cubsfan1969 »

Great advice as usual from all here! Ill just throw in a supply of prescription meds that might be specific to the individual, i.e., blood pressure meds, insulin, etc.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

add superglue (excellent for simple cuts that keep bleeding after you release pressure) and a firesteel (basic block magnesium + flint comes in handy if matches get waterlogged and lighter gets messed up or cold).
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I would only add: fleece jacket or blanket and food, I always have a bunch of Clif bars.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Benadryl gel caps. Great for emergency when allergic reactions hit. Not everybody needs or can carry epi pens but I've seen benadryl do wonders.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I always - always - carry a compass when going into the backwoods, along with a good topo map. If you don't know how to use one, you should learn. Call me old-school, but orienteering is one of the most basic and most important of all survival skills.

...and the recommendation on the Preparation H and Immodium is right on target... :cool:

TedP
Mojo51

Post by Mojo51 »

Have a few things left to get. Great suggestions.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sequimite wrote:I would only add: fleece jacket or blanket and food, I always have a bunch of Clif bars.
I too like those "Clif Bars">> there is another concentrated food bar that has a much bigger flavor selection called "Odwalla">> their "Berries Go Omega" is out of this world. And 2 of either one of those really quell your appetite for quite a while. The Odwalla bars seem to have a lot of vital nutrition in them as well. I've only ever found them in reputable health food stores but I'm sure there are online sources as well.

What "Def" said about some type of firestarting metal block is superb advice. Because the ability to start a fire and make water drinkable are probably the 2 most vital survival skills period along with a surefire self defense method.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Vehicle repair items (tire plugs, spare tires, syphon, gas can etc...).
Ferrocium rod and Wetfire tender. This way you will have sure fire if you need it. Ferrocium rods work when wet (lighter and matches might not) and wetfire tender floats on water on fire!
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

JD Spydo wrote:I too like those "Clif Bars">> there is another concentrated food bar that has a much bigger flavor selection called "Odwalla">> their "Berries Go Omega" is out of this world. And 2 of either one of those really quell your appetite for quite a while. The Odwalla bars seem to have a lot of vital nutrition in them as well. I've only ever found them in reputable health food stores but I'm sure there are online sources as well.
+1, love 'em. Buy by the case from Amazon.