What's with all the new $$$ "tactical" pens?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
flash900

What's with all the new $$$ "tactical" pens?

Post by flash900 »

Anybody tried one?

Are they really good for that purpose?

And how well do they write?

Anyone compared and reviewed them?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I have a Smith & Wesson one I bought for work. **** fine if you ask me except the cap can't be put on the but and stay there.

I wanted something that will keep dirt away from the tip and it works well.

Fillinf can be replaced with a Parker one later so that's a plus for me.

Its a nice pen and I am happy, don't care for the 'tactical' selling point.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Owl45

Post by Owl45 »

flash900 wrote:Anybody tried one?
Just ordered a Schrade Gen 1 out of curiosity and because its one of the better rated "cheap" ones.
Are they really good for that purpose?
Opinions vary. I'd say they have limited use in defensive situations, but probably better than using your finger.
And how well do they write?
From what I've read, many are not that great.
Since most "tactical" pens are pretty robust, balance, weight and/or size make finding a comfortable one for writing a problem.
Some of the pens don't come with a very good pen cartridge.
On the plus side, many will accept the Fisher Space Pen refill or Parker refills.
Anyone compared and reviewed them?
If you do a google search for "tactical pens" you will find a number of reviews. There are also several reviews on YouTube.

Schrade seems the best of the inexpensive ones (~$20 or less).

Tuffwriter gets high marks from most folks. $80-100, but nearly indestructible.

Benchmade and SureFire are apparently good, but very pricey. Some or all of the BMs use a proprietary Fisher Space Pen refill, so the regular refills don't work.

There are a number made from titanium and very attractive but dang expensive.

If you are USN member, they have a forum devoted to pens.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Zenith wrote:I have a Smith & Wesson one I bought for work. **** fine if you ask me except the cap can't be put on the but and stay there.

I wanted something that will keep dirt away from the tip and it works well.

Fillinf can be replaced with a Parker one later so that's a plus for me.

Its a nice pen and I am happy, don't care for the 'tactical' selling point.
The Smith & Wesson M&P is better than the original Smith & Wesson one, IMHO. Takes the same Parker refill, but the cap snaps into place on either end. The rounded point on the butt of mine has seen almost as much use as the pen point, because it works great as a stylus on my GPS. Nice size and heft as a writing instrument, no idea how well it would work for SD. I haven't flown commercially in almost 20 years, have no plans to do so anytime soon, but am sure I'd have to leave the S&W home if I did.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Slash

Post by Slash »

In case someone goes postal on you while at work. Stab them in the eye!!!
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Thanks for all the responses.

Are any of these models clickies, eliminating the need for a cap?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
Slash

Post by Slash »

flash900 wrote:Thanks for all the responses.

Are any of these models clickies, eliminating the need for a cap?
This would be my choice. http://www.knifeworks.com/4sevenstitani ... alpen.aspx
It's all about the fisher refill. This pen is designed around it. You can check out nutnfancy shot show 2012 4sevens on youtube for more info. They even point out a good purpose for the cap and it not fitting on the pen to write with it.
Roverrich

Post by Roverrich »

If you get one, use the Fisher pen refills, they work and write great. I don't know of any "clicky" type tactical pens, but if writing in adverse conditions is the goal of getting one of these pens, then the Fisher Space pen comes in a clicky version which I use at work. And no I don't work for Fisher pens!
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I just checked, the SW one I have can also take the Fisher refill.

Must say that working on a drilling site and in the field the pen has taken a few knocks. Still going strong.

Might invest in the SW MP (thanks for the advice) later on, till then I really can't complain.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I've used a number of Fisher Pens. The refill is what really sells the brand. Besides the "writing upside down!" it's just a nice cartridge and doesn't glob up like cheap pens.

The tactical stance is a little silly. Focusing a ton of force on a small area is pretty common sense. Having a sufficient handle to do so is important. County Comm has the Embassy Pen that is super cool and uses the cartridge.

I would never buy something that screams tactical on the basis of facing heat for a pen would be a shame. People have faced fines with the TSA trying to take them on planes. Writing tool > Improvisational weapon.
Owl45

Post by Owl45 »

flash900 wrote: Are any of these models clickies, eliminating the need for a cap?
I think I may have seen one...not sure. The clickie sort of negates the "tactical" use.
Blerv wrote:I've used a number of Fisher Pens. The refill is what really sells the brand. Besides the "writing upside down!" it's just a nice cartridge and doesn't glob up like cheap pens.

The Schrade and probably the S&W will also take a Parker Gel (30525PP). I really like my gel ink pens.
I would never buy something that screams tactical on the basis of facing heat for a pen would be a shame. People have faced fines with the TSA trying to take them on planes. Writing tool > Improvisational weapon.
Another reason the Schrade gets some points, its fairly subtle and the name doesn't scream weapon quite as much as S&W. Some folks even black out the Schrade name with a Sharpie.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've used a bunch of Fisher pens over the years and swear by them. The little "bullet" pens are as easy to carry as any EDC I've ever used. And the refills are great.

My pen for the past five years has been the "Millennium" which is a titanium barreled model with a lifetime supply of ink - it is not refillable. If you run out of ink in your lifetime, send the pen back and they'll give you a new one. I've been using mine daily for five years and it hasn't skipped a beat. But I'm keeping my original receipt handy - just in case. :)
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
BAL

Post by BAL »

Has anyone had any issues with one being considered a weapon. Such as going into
public places that are posted no weapons or courst houses, concerts, sporting events
etc that check you at the door. I just about go crazy if I have to leave my knives behind.
I can't take a gun into work and it drives me crazy, but i have to go to City Hall etc
sometomes and have to leave the knives in the truck and I feel naked.

I had some clown come at me outside of City Hall and I found myself reaching for
"nothing but air". In my younger days, I was considered a bit of a BA, but I am older
and wiser (sort of) now and realize that talking can also be a valuable weapon.

I originally thought that the Tactical pen was a bit silly but I have thought about
picking one up if I can take it into certain places.
Thanks
Owl45

Post by Owl45 »

BAL wrote:Has anyone had any issues with one being considered a weapon.......but I am older
I think a few folks have had problems, particularly the more dramatic versions with the DNA catcher or extremely pointy tip plus a nice bright weapon manufacturer name. Tuffwriter makes a version of theirs that is "sanitized" with no labels or markings.

There is a LOT to be said for talking...it can be quite effective, especially if combined with the right attitude ;) .
I originally thought that the Tactical pen was a bit silly but I have thought about picking one up if I can take it into certain places.
There is definitely a silly factor to it. But, again, probably more useful than poking them with a finger.

For places that prohibit any type of "weapon", there is possibly a better solution.

I've always been interested in walking sticks/canes. Now that I'm getting on in years, they are becoming more practical if not yet totally necessary.
I was recently diagnosed with Degenerative Spinal Disease :eek: , not quite as bad as it sounds but no fun either, so I decided to pick up a couple of better canes.

The one on the left is from CaneMasters, made of Hickory.
The one on the right is from House of Canes, made of Dymondwood, a resin impregnated, laminated wood.
Both are very attractive, extremely solid, and well made.

These serve their purpose as a walking cane very well, with the secondary benefit of being a darn good defensive tool while not looking "tactical" or threatening at all.
Plus there is no place you can't take them. With the Americans with Disabilities Act, even TSA can't object to you carrying onto a plane.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

They're for OPERATORS, OPERATING, OPERATIONALLY...in the mall.

People will buy anything...
CamoNinja

Post by CamoNinja »

Hinderer makes some nice ones.
HotSoup wrote:They're for OPERATORS, OPERATING, OPERATIONALLY...in the mall.

People will buy anything...
Yep as long as it says Taticool
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

BAL wrote:Has anyone had any issues with one being considered a weapon. Such as going into
public places that are posted no weapons or courst houses, concerts, sporting events
etc that check you at the door. I just about go crazy if I have to leave my knives behind.
I can't take a gun into work and it drives me crazy, but i have to go to City Hall etc
sometomes and have to leave the knives in the truck and I feel naked.

I had some clown come at me outside of City Hall and I found myself reaching for
"nothing but air". In my younger days, I was considered a bit of a BA, but I am older

I originally thought that the Tactical pen was a bit silly but I have thought about
picking one up if I can take it into certain places.
Thanks
The TSA has gotten wise to them. There was a thread about this a while back.

Personally I like the stainless steel Sharpie and Sharpie Pen. Innocuous, and practical. Also quite a bit less then ten dollars at your local Staples, Office Max, etc. Probably not the greatest if you are looking to do a ton if writing. But improvised impact weapon? Very nice.

Here's one of mine, I'll try to get a better pic for you.

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thank's for the tip Owl.

Regarding legal carry on flights...

http://www.tsa.gov/who_we_are/workforce ... 00110.shtm

Then again, the TSA are a bunch of clowns. Stop the guy with the pen...he's a national threat. :)
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey guys,
i have the ss sharpie like rwb mentioned above. pretty substantial but it is a marker.
i suggest saving your money and getting a zebra f-701 from wallyworld. they're around seven bucks, made from mostly metal, and don't draw any attention.
it's a clicky with knurling around the lower part of the pen. i think it's ss, but not sure. feels pretty solid, at least enough to poke someone really good.
they write pretty well also.
just my $.02.
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Slash wrote:This would be my choice. http://www.knifeworks.com/4sevenstitani ... alpen.aspx
It's all about the fisher refill. This pen is designed around it. You can check out nutnfancy shot show 2012 4sevens on youtube for more info. They even point out a good purpose for the cap and it not fitting on the pen to write with it.
Ooo Slash, thank you for posting. I was interested in this Pen as I love 4sevens products but the $100 was alittle out of the range Id wanna pay. $75 sounds better. Still trying to find out if the glass breaker really works though.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.