What's with all the new $$$ "tactical" pens?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

wow wrote:I have no clue what the point of a "Tactical Pen" is. Can't you just use a regular pen?
Oftentimes regular pens are not strong enough to be used for self-defense purposes. Very few of them actually are.

The point about tactical pens is to give decent human beings a viable self-defense option due to living in an jurisdiction that outlaws guns and pretty much every single other pragmatic self-defense option.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Monocrom wrote:The point about tactical pens is to give decent human beings a viable self-defense option due to living in an jurisdiction that outlaws guns and pretty much every single other pragmatic self-defense option.
My problem with that is that in places like the UK (and I suspect a lot of other countries) any object that is "designed to cause injury" can be classed as an offensive weapon. A tactical pen is certainly a pen but it has been specifically fashioned in such a way as to be useful as a weapon ... and so I would be very skeptical about a person's chances of being let go if it was found by a police officer. Some forms of Kubotan are already specifically banned in the UK and I don't think that it's too much of a stretch for prosecutors to call a tactical pen a kubotan. Besides, if a drunk took a swing at me with a knife I wouldn't feel any safer after I'd pulled out a tactical pen :rolleyes:

Just my 2c ;)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

ChrisR wrote:My problem with that is that in places like the UK (and I suspect a lot of other countries) any object that is "designed to cause injury" can be classed as an offensive weapon. A tactical pen is certainly a pen but it has been specifically fashioned in such a way as to be useful as a weapon ... and so I would be very skeptical about a person's chances of being let go if it was found by a police officer. Some forms of Kubotan are already specifically banned in the UK and I don't think that it's too much of a stretch for prosecutors to call a tactical pen a kubotan. Besides, if a drunk took a swing at me with a knife I wouldn't feel any safer after I'd pulled out a tactical pen :rolleyes:

Just my 2c ;)
Average tactical pen is little more than a slightly longer, beefed-up, version of a regular Men's size pen. There are a few out there which fill those requirements, but aren't marketed as Tactical pens. CountyComm's blunt ended tactical model is a shape that exists in the regular pen world.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

The United Cutlery pen can take the same Schmidt refill that is used for tactical pens such as the more expensive Tuff Writer. I just got another pen for travel--an all-brass Zippo Shenango that also can take the Schmidt refill. Almost as solid as the United Cutlery but shouldn't set off any TSA bells...
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Well, I just got my copper embassy pen in the mail from CountyComm, and dang that thing is heavy! I could see how someone could use it in a tactical way if they aren't allowed to have a knife on them but you have to be a real fighter. I wouldn't like to get hit in the head or let alone the temple with this thing but it's fully rounded on the ends, so that does compensate on effectiveness. Overall a cool pen to have and although this is the only 'tactical' pen I have handled for a few minutes, I think those type of pens are more of a thing nice to have instead of actually use.

Side note: I bought this pen to write with it, not to hit someone.
Wishlist: Delica G10. Cricket SE/PE. Cat. Air
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Zenith wrote:I have a Smith & Wesson one I bought for work. **** fine if you ask me except the cap can't be put on the but and stay there.

I wanted something that will keep dirt away from the tip and it works well.

Fillinf can be replaced with a Parker one later so that's a plus for me.

Its a nice pen and I am happy, don't care for the 'tactical' selling point.
Ive got a couple of the second gens that fixed the cap issue. Nice pens, and for 20 bucks you wont want to shoot yourself if you lose it.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Probably not the best accurate thread topic to bump (nor the freshest) but I didn't much have to add besides a picture of my new Hinderer Investigator pen. It's distressed copper and was purchased through J.S. Burly's (edcforums.com's store). My bro has a brass one in route as well which is the same price as aluminum or SS.

Before seeing what the "tactical" cap looked like I ordered a flat-end to screw on and make it less aggressive. In hindsight being somewhere between a Fisher Space Pen and a conventional Bic in size it probably wasn't needed.

Writes nice, great price, low ride clip, smells like old pennies. I'm a big fan :D . Probably a good pen to get in one of the heavier materials as it's only 1.5oz in Copper; I expect in aluminum it would feel somewhat like a toy.

kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Nice Blake! I need a new pen one of these days. I'd go for copper as well.

Ken
玉鋼
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Those investigator pens looks nice and at the price point I appreciate the modular design. I have a Schrade with the changeable fountain or ballpoint tips, chunky aluminum but not super heavy for its size.. And pretty stout - I used it as a floor jack handle once when I couldn't find the regular one and it got a couple of nicks, but using my full weight to press the pen-as-lever only nicked where the pen didn't fit tightly onto the handle mount doohicky. I also have one of the CRKT Tao pens, and I think it is quite beautiful (mine is the black with raw aluminum routed/milled relief for style and grippiness) - a bit more than the $20 Schrade but it doesn't look very tactical, more techy I guess. I'd like to design and make my own one day.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Owl45

Post by Owl45 »

After spending a few months messing with the "Tactical" pens last year, I've found a couple I kept and traded off the others.
A few observations from my limited evaluations:
1) A lot of them are way to odd or aggressive looking, while not being more useful than many more normal pointy things they do little more than draw unwanted attention.....likely the point for many folks.
2) The clips on many are so loose they provide no retention or are so stiff they are near impossible to slide in or remove from a shirt pocket.
3) The majority are also too long to put in most shirt pockets.

IMHO, the cheaper ones (under ~$40) aren't worth having. The best bang-for-buck I found was the CRKT TAO at around $40. The black with chrome accents is attractive, functional and still looks mostly like a normal pen.
There are a lot of interesting options in the higher end, but I couldn't justify $200+ for one...I'd rather get a knife I "need".
I did get a great deal at the 2012 Blade on a Tufwriter Frontline Executive with Robar NP3 finish.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

kbuzbee wrote:Nice Blake! I need a new pen one of these days. I'd go for copper as well.

Ken
Thanks Ken :) . Yea the copper was a bit more and they have a few left at EDC. I guess the distressed was a run they requested. On Rick's site many, including copper, are sold out.

My brother just ordered a brass one for $60. Same price as SS.
defenestrate wrote:Those investigator pens looks nice and at the price point I appreciate the modular design. I have a Schrade with the changeable fountain or ballpoint tips, chunky aluminum but not super heavy for its size.. And pretty stout - I used it as a floor jack handle once when I couldn't find the regular one and it got a couple of nicks, but using my full weight to press the pen-as-lever only nicked where the pen didn't fit tightly onto the handle mount doohicky. I also have one of the CRKT Tao pens, and I think it is quite beautiful (mine is the black with raw aluminum routed/milled relief for style and grippiness) - a bit more than the $20 Schrade but it doesn't look very tactical, more techy I guess. I'd like to design and make my own one day.
Yea they really are impressive given the work. I'm not a huge jimping fan on knives but the milling really helps keep your fingers in the right place. The copper pen has a nice weight to it at 1.5oz and I expect the SS and brass does as well. I expect the Alum one is half that.

That's a serious statement to the Schrade and CRKT, I'll check em out. :)
Owl45 wrote:After spending a few months messing with the "Tactical" pens last year, I've found a couple I kept and traded off the others.
A few observations from my limited evaluations:
1) A lot of them are way to odd or aggressive looking, while not being more useful than many more normal pointy things they do little more than draw unwanted attention.....likely the point for many folks.
2) The clips on many are so loose they provide no retention or are so stiff they are near impossible to slide in or remove from a shirt pocket.
3) The majority are also too long to put in most shirt pockets.

IMHO, the cheaper ones (under ~$40) aren't worth having. The best bang-for-buck I found was the CRKT TAO at around $40. The black with chrome accents is attractive, functional and still looks mostly like a normal pen.
There are a lot of interesting options in the higher end, but I couldn't justify $200+ for one...I'd rather get a knife I "need".
I did get a great deal at the 2012 Blade on a Tufwriter Frontline Executive with Robar NP3 finish.
Great write-up and I concur. The Investigator has a very small clip but nice tension and fitting for the overall size. I do like the fact that it's removable via hex in the event it bends.

The standard "bullet" tip is fairly aggressive but not uncomfortable. The cap screws on to cover it and I don't know if it would give officers any second looks due to the overall pen size. I'm sure the TSA would cause a fuss.

I attached the "flat" cap which was purchased separate on Rick's site. This one is titanium "bronze" finish. The SS satin is $6 cheaper.