Eagle Scouts

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
xceptnl

Eagle Scouts

Post by xceptnl »

A recent post brought back a ton of memories for me. Do we have any other Eagle Scouts on the forum? Even those that didn't go all the way to the top please chime in. Feel free to share your favorite camping / scouting stories.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Eagle Scout, Class of 1976. One bronze and one silver palm.

My youngest son is bridging out of Webelos into Scouts next month. I'm a proud Papa. :)

TedP

P.S. - I still have my original Camillus Scout Knife from when I was a Tenderfoot Scout.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

phillipsted wrote:Eagle Scout, Class of 1976. One bronze and one silver palm.

My youngest son is bridging out of Webelos into Scouts next month. I'm a proud Papa. :)

TedP

P.S. - I still have my original Camillus Scout Knife from when I was a Tenderfoot Scout.
Awesome news Ted. I am class of 2K and never received the palms, but did continue to contribute to my troop after completion of my eagle rank. I have my first scout knife (an Imperial slip joint) and my second (a large Camillus lockback with jigged bone handles and nickel bolsters). I just recently pulled them out of the safe and cleaned/sharpened them back to top condition.

What was your Eagle project?
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

I became an Eagle scout in 2011. My greatest memories lie with over 120 nights camping. Amazing experience, simply amazing.
Own or have owned: Manix2, Dragonfly G10, Sage 1, Tasman Salt, Delica 4 waved, Kiwi, SS Police, Orange PM2, Pacific Salt, Gayle Bradley, Tenacious, Harpy, Military, Salsa, ZDP-189 Ladybug

Come chat with us on IRC at #Spyderco!
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

zunedog31 wrote:I became an Eagle scout in 2011. My greatest memories lie with over 120 nights camping. Amazing experience, simply amazing.
Zune, I remember frequest camping trips (atleast one weekend a month) with my fellow troop members. I still miss cooking in dutch oven and over open coals quite a bit. Even the morning wakig up with 4-6 inches of snow outside the tents we some of the best of my life.
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

xceptnl wrote:Zune, I remember frequest camping trips (atleast one weekend a month) with my fellow troop members. I still miss cooking in dutch oven and over open coals quite a bit. Even the morning wakig up with 4-6 inches of snow outside the tents we some of the best of my life.
Same for our troop. Once a month except for january when we went indoor rock climbing or skiing. Sometimes we would go two or three times in a period of 4 weeks.
Own or have owned: Manix2, Dragonfly G10, Sage 1, Tasman Salt, Delica 4 waved, Kiwi, SS Police, Orange PM2, Pacific Salt, Gayle Bradley, Tenacious, Harpy, Military, Salsa, ZDP-189 Ladybug

Come chat with us on IRC at #Spyderco!
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Life and going for eagle! :cool:
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Close, my Son is an eagle scout(2008). I did engraved 25 Blue Native III for eagle scouts. I've given away 21 so far, 1 in the queue and 2 left. Only one will not go to an eagle scout. Time to engrave another batch :)
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

boxer93 wrote:Close, my Son is an eagle scout(2008). I did engraved 25 Blue Native III for eagle scouts. I've given away 21 so far, 1 in the queue and 2 left. Only one will not go to an eagle scout. Time to engrave another batch :)
Chris
Wow Chris, those Native III blades are truly special and I love the idea behind them. Keep up the great work.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

No eagle scouts here. I remember a summer camp in my younger days. I started out # 120 in the mile swim and ended up #5. I was proud. Made it to Star rank before the surfing craze took over.

When my son was in scouts I was very active in camping and helping kids earn there merit badges. Never forget the night my son got his whittlin chip. Still have the knife. I cleaned it up and sharpened it, still need to get it back to him.

Also never forget one jamboree where I took the lead for the fishing from a large dock. We rotated shifts of kids because there were so many. One of the mothers laid down on the dock next to her son. She had her head off the dock looking into the water. Her gold chain and huge stone got caught between the aluminum planks. When she lifted up the chain and stone were gone. That was about 2:00pm in the afternoon. A couple of us got in the water (cold) it was February and found her chain but couldn't find the stone. She was heartbroken, said the stone had been passed down by her grandmother. Being the good scouts we were, I went home and got 2 sets of scuba gear. One for me and the other for our troop leader. The next day we got our gear on and searched for this ladies stone. I didn't bring wetsuits and after about 30 minutes of searching Lou the troop leader said he was getting out. I stayed in the water a few more minutes, came up and told the lady she had one more chance. Son of a gun, on my last dive, something caught my eye. It was the rim of the thin gold that surrounded the stone sticking out of the sand . To make a short story long :rolleyes: she got her stone back and thanked us profusely. I hope the scouts learned a good lesson that day. I'll never forget it. Fond memories except that Lou the troop leader died from cancer a few years back. I'm certain that he lives on in the hearts and minds of the kids he helped to teach, and grow into productive adults
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

We did quite a bit of camping when I was in Scouts - but several of my absolute "peak life experiences" came at High Adventure Bases. We did Philmont one year and Charles L. Sommers Canoe Base (now the Northern Tier) the next. The canoe trip was especially memorable - we did a three week unreplenished paddling cruise up into Canada. We didn't see a motorized vehicle for over 14 days straight. Moose, bald eagles, trout, black bears...and mosquitos big enough to carry off a Buick...

Ahhhhh.

TedP
EagleScouter

Post by EagleScouter »

Eagle Scout here, class of 2010. 100 years, baby. Brotherhood in OA as well.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thanks fellow eagle "scouter" for reminding me about my OA memories. I completed brotherhood in 1999.
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

Eagle Scout Class of 1998, Brotherhood OA 1997, Lodge Supporter, religious service knot, Arrow of Light knot. After graduating HS and during college, I served as an Asst. Scoutmaster until my younger brother earned his Eagle in 2001 (earned him PFC in the Marine Corp). To this day I love Scouting, and it has positively shaped my life ever since. My favorite camping memory is when our small troop hiked the White Mtns. section of the Appalachian Trial from the western edge of Maine, all through NH, almost to MA. My favorite section was climbing all of the Presidential Peaks including Mt. Washington and Mt. Jefferson. It was 4 weeks and we only resupplied once over the course of the trip. Building temporary structures, setting traps/snares, and learning to navigate only by the sun/stars were just some of the skills that I still try to cultivate today. It's a shame that Scouting has lost some of its wholesome ideals in recent years, but when I have sons, I can't wait to teach them the same values that I cherish so much. Thanks for the trip down memory lane...
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

Once an Eagle, always an Eagle! Class of 1982.

YIS,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Hey Minibear! Good luck with your road to Eagle. I still keep my Eagle rank on my resume to this day, 35 years down the road.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

Finished my eagle in 2002. Some of my best memories are from my scout days
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
kCalderon

Post by kCalderon »

What else should I carry with me?
Except for a sharp knife, food and water?
Any hints? I want to go hiking this weekend.
http://youtomp3.com/
convert youtube to mp3
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

kCalderon wrote:What else should I carry with me?
Except for a sharp knife, food and water?
Any hints? I want to go hiking this weekend.
It depends on if you are planning on spending the night. If you live in a cold weather area, you need special gear like a sleeping bag, layered clothing, and a source of heat. If you are not able to build cold weather structures, or don't want to, you need a tent. You will also need appropriate footwear, even if you don't plan on spending the night. Finally, you need to plan out your trip with a map (or compass), and you have to tell someone where you are going and when you plan to return. This is probably the most important part. Hope this helps :)
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Great thread. I made it to Life. Never went for the Eagle. I have always regretted that. I did help my 2 buddies complete their Eagle projects back in High School. On 1 project we constructed 3 bus stop wind shelters around the town I lived in at the time. The other project was to raise money for and build a new playground at the local elementary school. Both projects were very rewarding. I still remember doing them to this day. Great program.