I don't wear a watch

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I don't wear a watch or any jewelry for that matter. A watch being manly is a funny thing to say, because most likely, women invented time. Their "time of the month" is linked with the moon(where we get the word months) and they probably put together that 9 months ago they slept with this guy and now they have a baby resembling him.

For a more complete and a much more intelligent explanation check out the book "Sex, Time and Power" by Leonard Shlain.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have a bunch of watches. None of them were more than $150 though, with the most expensive one being worn on special occasions. It was a gift from my brother too. My EDC watch is a $35 Timex Expedition that i got from Target...it's simple, black, super light and low profile, i can barely tell i'm wearing anything at all, and it lights up the face when i push a button in the dark. It keeps good time. Good enough for me. I carry a $400 phone for all the other crap.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

get a pocket watch :)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Enkidude wrote: most likely, women invented time.
Actually it was the Sumerians 5000 years ago. Their mathematics revolved around base 12 and base 60 and they originated the 60 second, 60 minute, 12 hour x 2 system.

Was it Pope Gregory that changed Europe from the Lunar month to the 365 day year divided into 12 months?
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Hmmm, not sure who changed the Lunar month, but I am glad to see that I am in good company. I knew I was not the only one who went without a watch! :D
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I wear a watch, pompous prick that I am, I grew up in the jewellery business and good or bad have always had an appreciation for them. But I think anyone who believes your not a man if you you don't wear a watch is an idiot.

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

No watch for me. I find them a nuisance and I don't wear any jewelry either. There was a time when I had a pocket watch, but ran put of pocket space as knives took over. Now I check the time on my cell phone or I construct a sundial out of sticks and dirt.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

I don't wear a watch. For many reasons now that I think about it:

A. I am usually working with my hands. When I used to wear watches, they'd always end up scratched.

2. I always have my phone which has the time.. why bother wearing a watch too?

(I know, I know.. my numbering system is amazing) I have always had a fascination for watches. That Rolex up there is **** nice. I also like some of Citizen's watches. I'm sure there are many other brands that are just as nice, if not better.

I won't turn this into a watch discussion though. Point is, I like watches.. but don't wear them. Besides, I would rather buy a few Spyderco's over a nice watch. At least for now. Maybe when I retire I'll wear a watch!!! ;)

Your friends are crazy.
[Waffle]

This world is made of.. Love and Peace
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

[quote="Sequimite"]Actually it was the Sumerians 5000 years ago. Their mathematics revolved around base 12 and base 60 and they originated the 60 second, 60 minute, 12 hour x 2 system.[quote]

I didn't realize the Sumerians were all men. :D

I am familiar with the sexigesimal numbering system. I'm talking about women before the time of the Sumerians. Also, the Sumerians claimed to get all their knowledge from the Anunaki ( Those who from heaven, to Earth came.) So really, the Anunaki would have "invented" time.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

None for me. I wore one for a while because it was a gift from my wife. Then one day while working on some knife handles, the watch face grazed the grinding wheel. I took it off that day and haven't worn one since. I still need to get the watch repaired. :(
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Well, I am on the opposite...

I wear a watch and do not have a cell phone.

There, I said it. And for the same reason, everyone around me have phones I can borrow...

Instead of the good old" Do you hav the time?"
I say "Would you lend me your phone?"

And you know what, people always say yes ... And even more if they have the opportunity to flash their brand new Iphone 5s gtx!

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Oh.... And unmanly?....

Send a watch wearing freak in the woods for 5 days without a watch...

And do the same with an Iphone freak! Five days without his "preeecious"...

Who do you think will survive? :eek:

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
angusW

Post by angusW »

It is not unmanly to not wear a watch but I wear one every day. On the other hand it's unmanly not to carry a knife :)
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

angusW wrote: On the other hand it's unmanly not to carry a knife :)
Couldn't agree with you more! :p

DRKBC-that is one nice looking watch! Probably cost more than all my Spydies. :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I can't live without my watch, and I love knives - therefore I am double manly ;) . Seriously, I forget what day it is without it, and I always need the date and time in the kitchen at work. Plus, how can you not like a G Shock? Watch = cool, stylin', and prepared. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Jazz wrote:I can't live without my watch, and I love knives - therefore I am double manly ;) . Seriously, I forget what day it is without it, and I always need the date and time in the kitchen at work. Plus, how can you not like a G Shock? Watch = cool, stylin', and prepared. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
Same, I don't think I have left the house without a watch on since I was a kid. If I leave the house without one on now, I drive home to get it or it bugs me all day.
GotDogs

Post by GotDogs »

Manly ...... Shmanly. I wear a watch probably more so because I always have. It's like my wallet, knife ... if I realize that I dont have it, it's like forgetting to put on my pants.
I may look calm, but in my head I've killed you 3 times.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I used to wear a watch everyday since I was a kid; felt naked without it. I have not worn a watch for a few years now. I have a couple that acted up. My wife got one of them fixed and the other mysteriously started working again. I wear then every once in a great while. They tend to be slightly annoying on my wrist at times.

I do not even wear my wedding ring. I haven't worn it in about 7 yrs or so. I broke it at work using a shovel.

But as many have said, we have our phones to tell time.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

bh49 wrote:sometimes I wear watch, sometimes I don't
That's me too.

I used to wear one daily, but not in the last couple years. Mainly due to the reason that if I am not at home, I am at work, if I am not at work, I am some place and I have my phone on me. I have to have my phone on me or near me most of the time I am awake to be reached for work in an emergency. I started to realize that it was starting to get annoying to have it bumping into things and sweating underneath the band during the summer. I have 3 or 4 watches and I rarely wear any of them anymore.

Everywhere I need to know what time it is there is a clock. If the SHTF I wouldn't really need to know what time it was anymore (I'm thinking).
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I haven't worn a watch for a long time.. Also don't dig things on my wrist. Sometimes I will carry a pocketwatch.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!