Apples

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sequimite

Apples

Post by Sequimite »

One thing that has changed for the better over my lifetime is apples. I eat an average at least one apple a day and can't decide whether Fuji, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp is my favorite variety. If you haven't tried these by all means do so.

Apples are also a reason I favor longer blades. My Caly 3.5 SB can't cut all the way through most of my apples, but it's good enough and excellent for coring. I definitely would not carry anything shorter except to comply with the law.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
r small

Post by r small »

Apple fans should check out a recent hybrid called Jazz. Crunchy and juicy like Honeycrisp but a little more tart.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I eat a apple a day as well. The dragonfly is pretty much all I use. I just stick it in and rotate. It cuts through every apple I've gave it. the only knife I like better is my harpy. The hawkbill just wraps around the fruit.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Add me to the list of apple lovers. Empires, Macouns, and Ida Reds are my favorites.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Cox's Orange Pippin ... a really lovely traditional English apple ... crisp, full of flavour and a sharp taste :)

Full-flat grind is a *must* with apples so I would reach for my G10 UKPK but I would like some more sub-3-inch, thin, FFG slipits :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

upstate ny grows some of the best-they develop them at cornell also
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Sequimite, you are in a great area for apples, Washington.

When I worked for a living (42 years) almost every day for lunch was an apple. Fuji for me.

My best apple slicer is the Calypso Jr. I use the one slice at a time method and the Jr works great.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
HighDesertSpyder

On the way to the fridge...

Post by HighDesertSpyder »

Salivating here just reading this. Apple fan and my favorite right now is the Honeycrisp.
Enjoy the rest of your Saturday
Josh
:spyder:74:spyder:
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Deacon wrote:Add me to the list of apple lovers. Empires, Macouns, and Ida Reds are my favorites.
Forever!!!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

gull wing wrote:Sequimite, you are in a great area for apples, Washington.

When I worked for a living (42 years) almost every day for lunch was an apple. Fuji for me.

My best apple slicer is the Calypso Jr. I use the one slice at a time method and the Jr works great.
Gravensteins are a popular orchard tree in Sequim. Berries are great in this area, too. There are wild blackberry thickets growing along the rural roads all around my house.

My second Spydie was a Caly Jr. I'll never forget cutting an apple with it for the first time and having the blade slide through without noticeable resistance so that I came close to slicing my other hand open.

The Fuji's I'm getting right now are excellent. I've had the Jazz and Empire, but some of the other varieties being cited are new to me.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
araneae

Post by araneae »

My grandparents had a small orchard so apples were part of my life growing up. As a kid, I used to swear by red delicious. Since then I have branched out. I had a Fuji phase, but have recently taken to the exceptionally crisp pink lady, and I like Galas quite a bit. Honeycrisps are great, but overpriced due to their current popularity. The sweetango is a nice apple, but has been hard to find regularly here. For something interesting, look for lady apples. Whole foods has had them in the past. Apparently they are the oldest cultivated variety- they are tiny little things.

As for knives, I have to say a No8 Opinel is my go to apple knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

I like crisp apples, that meely mushy texture that machs and other apples have dont appeal to me. My favorites are Honey Crisps and Pink Ladys. Pink Ladys take the gold by a hair though. I buy in season only though, and if its not organic Im not eating it. If I can get local even better. Right now its apple season. Lots of good stuff out there. Citrus fruits are too, blood oranges are my favorite...but I think this seasons crop must be huring because I havent seen any and all have been from Sunkist company. Summer...its time for peaches, plums and nectarines.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Cool thread, Seq. I love apples. They MUST be crisp. Meely apples make me gag - no matter how sweet. My all time favorite is a nice crisp red delicious - BUT you can hardly get them crisp around my area. I always buy a couple and about 1 in 4 are nice, crisp and sweet. Dont know why, so I tend to favor Fuji's since they are always crisp - maybe not as sweet as red del, but much more consistent. Havent tried some of the other ones you guys note, so will have to do that.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Put me down for Royal Gala and Cortland. I hate Macintosh.!

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
bh49

Post by bh49 »

My favorites are Ginger Gold. I eat certainly more than one a day, unfortunately they are available only for a couple month at Fall. :( Caly3.5 is absolutely sufficient to help. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I too enjoy the fuji's. The red delicious have become "hit or miss" so I rarely buy these. In Fl the Anna and Golden Dorsett are the primary apples grown. Both tasty. There are a few local growers, however not many large producers that I'm aware of. I probably should eat more apples. I'll pick some up next stop in the store. Need to try out the new Sage 4. Thanks
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Honeycrisp is the go to in our house, the wife loves them, I don't mind, but I like a Granny Smith now and then.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Hailing from NY, I can admit a deep love for apples. My favorites are Honey Delicious, Golden Delicious, Fuji, Empire, etc. Different flavors strike me at different times but I really do love applies. My best apple knife has been my Caly 3.5. It's extra length and thin taper make it a great to work with. The apple juice also gives it a great blue patina. Win, win. :D
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I live down near the apple country in Virginia and we eat our share of them year-round. In the early fall, we always make a trek up to Winchester VA to our favorite farm market and stock up on Honeycrisps, Fujis, and Jazz. They often have small numbers of heirloom varieties, and sometimes even pawpaws. Good stuff.

My weapon of choice for apples is my trusty FRN Delica I. It washes out nicely and it doesn't mind getting sticky - although I've been swapping in the Salt I recently...

I just love the looks I get from my co-workers when I whip out an apple and start carving it up during meetings (I usually do this during meetings that have gone on waaay too long).

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

I like apples. Green ones are best.. Red ones are good, too. I don't cut cut em, I bite em.
And I don't know their names.. I like anonymity. .. :p
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.