CR123 users, please be careful

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dsmegst

CR123 users, please be careful

Post by dsmegst »

Hey all,

I was sharpening a friend's crappy multi-tool blade and examining the edge with my 4Sevens Maelstrom G5. Then I noticed the light dimming and the rubber clicky cover started bulging out. I shut off the light and carefully took it out to the garage.

When I unscrewed the bottom, while keeping it wrapped up with some shop towels, it let off some nasty fumes and the insides were covered in soot. I guess I was lucky the light contained everything w/o exploding or leaking out in the house.

The batteries are charred and unfortunately, the light is probably ruined. The reflector and glass is covered with residue. No one was hurt and it only cost me a flashlight but it could have been much worse. I love the 2xCR123 format and I have a bunch of other lights with the same brand of batteries in them. :( Now I'm not so sure about using them...
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Have you contacted or researched the manufacturer? Maybe there was a bad batch? Those are Lithium cells, right?
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Wow sorry to hear :(

All lithiums should be matched in voltage or very close. You prob had one slightly/very low and one high (they come at various voltages).

For me I just run matched voltage lithiums. Specifically IMR16350's in lights that can handle them as they are safer chemistry. The best answer is to run single lithiums otherwise in smaller lights like the Quark 123. A single 18650 is the length of two cr123's but more capacity. You could find a light designed for one and get a cheap charger.

So very sorry about the incident!!! Glad you are ok friend.

Ps: in the interim get a digital multi meter for a few dollars at the hardware store. Sort your primaries by voltage and keep them within a very close range.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

It just happened about 1/2 an hour ago but I will be contacting them tomorrow. These are standard BATTERY STATION units, bought years and years ago. I still have some left so I was using them up instead of going with my usual AW RCR123 batteries.

I've probably gone through 80+ BS CR123 batteries w/o issues. This is the first time I had a failure. I'm still ticked about the flashlight. It's the longest throw light I have and one of my favorites.
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
Slash

Post by Slash »

I just got my trustfire 14500 batteries and charger from china today. Specifically to be used for my quark aa tactical which I either misplaced or lost. I was really looking forward to seeing how bright the little sucker can get.

I wonder where I can get one at a good price?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's not common even if not matched. Its prob a combo of a cell not discharing properly under load and horrible luck to say the least :( .

I would contact David over at 4Sevens. He might make it right.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Blerv wrote:Wow sorry to hear :(

All lithiums should be matched in voltage or very close. You prob had one slightly/very low and one high (they come at various voltages).

For me I just run matched voltage lithiums. Specifically IMR16350's in lights that can handle them as they are safer chemistry. The best answer is to run single lithiums otherwise.

So very sorry about the incident!!! Glad you are ok friend.

Ps: in the interim get a digital multi meter for a few dollars at the hardware store. Sort your primaries by voltage and keep them within a very close range.
Funny you should mention that. I went through them a few days ago and they all fall between 2.97v and 3.01v. Is there a better way to match them aside from voltage measurements? I'm not sure what else I can check.
Dan (dsmegst)

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

No not really. That's quite odd. Check out those IMR's maybe and just run primaries in single config. :(

I'll dig around. Maybe there is a way.
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

Man that sucks. If I were you I would contact the makers and ask them to replace the flashlight.
Own or have owned: Manix2, Dragonfly G10, Sage 1, Tasman Salt, Delica 4 waved, Kiwi, SS Police, Orange PM2, Pacific Salt, Gayle Bradley, Tenacious, Harpy, Military, Salsa, ZDP-189 Ladybug

Come chat with us on IRC at #Spyderco!
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Hey Dan didn't think about it but you might buy a couple of these if you want to get another G5:

http://www.lighthound.com/AW-LiFePO4-3- ... p_112.html

Same voltage at primaries but same "safe chemistry" as IMR16340's.
rycen

Post by rycen »

Measuring voltage with a DVM does little as close to dead lithium batts will show near new voltage. You need a tester that will put a load on the batts.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
rycen

Post by rycen »

We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am sorry to hear about this.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

bh49 wrote:I am sorry to hear about this.

What are standard Battery Junction units. I cannot find this brand on their website.
Darn, my mistake. These are old BATTERY STATION brand CR123a batteries. I edited my posts in case someone does a search. bh49, do you mind editing yours? Thanks!

I checked the Battery Station web site and it appears that they've long since changed their battery manufacturer. I wonder why? :rolleyes: The ones I used have "Made in P.R.C." printed on them and have a yellow ring around the bottom. Good on them for switching to a US made product though.
Dan (dsmegst)

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Ah man, I do love 2XCr123 lights. That does suck Ds and I'm glad you're ok.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Glad you're ok and that there was no serious damage. Given the circumstance it could either be the fault of the batteries or of the flashlight. About 25 years ago I had a brand new ni-cad pack for an R/C radio receiver catch fire due to a faulty switch causing a short circuit.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Also couldn't hurt to send the light into 4sevens, they have terrific customer service--this is assuming that the batteries were within manufacturers specs. Failing that, battery station seems like a pretty decent company, they might also replace the light with something comparable.

As an aside--

These things happen regardless of battery type. I've had countless maglites damaged by alkaline batteries and one Cartier watch movement, (now I only use mechanical watches), and countless gadgets or toys.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Rycen: that's a great point and I'm looking into a load tester now, thanks :) .

Dsmegst: that makes more sense. Those arent as respected as the new "white labels". In fact, some from China like 4Sevens/Titanium Innovations are high quality as standards are kept.

2Cha: agreed on your battery point. However, li-ion batteries when venting release noxious fumes and fire (!!), they more or less can turn your flashlight into a small scale pipe bomb. Alkalines pop and ooze disgusting acid. Lithiums using Li-Mn (IMR) or LiFeP04 (AW and some Sony) are "safe chemistry" which just means they won't flame.

All of this is rare to occur (the Alkalines much more common and never heard of an Energizer disposable lithium AA/AAA popping). Mostly in multiple cell applications with varied voltage, over charging of rechargable li-ion, and overtaxed applications (like drawing 2.5a from a cr123). Still, since every laptop battery pack is multiple rechargables it is very rare if controlled.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I just got off the phone with 4sevens. They are going to take care of it, either repair or replace the unit. I'm shipping the light and the failed cell(s) to them for evaluation. I'll keep you guys updated on the resolution. So far, their CS is great. :) Reminds me of a certain knife company.
Dan (dsmegst)

JLS

Post by JLS »

Glad to hear that you didn't get hurt. I haven't had a problem with 123's in 10+ years, but things like this happen from time to time. Alkaline have been more of an issue for me, but I rarely use alkaline batteries anymore.

I've gotten spoiled by using 18650 rechargeable batteries the past few years for most of my use. I charge my Li-ion's on my steel table and keep them stored away from flammables just to play it safe. Two of those (older Ultrafire's) have just plain died, but none of them did so in dramatic fashion.

I still haven't bought a 4Sevens light, but they're on my list of "like to have". I've just found other lights that fit my situation better so far.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...