ESEE knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

ESEE knives

Post by jackknifeh »

I see these knives mentioned quite a bit. How do they stand as far as quality, steel used, ergos, etc? From what I've seen they use carbon steel but the RC is low.

Jack
Slash

Post by Slash »

Actually, it's their ht that makes it a good knife. When you see Rowen on a blade. You know what you're getting. Just like all those years Buck had Boss stamped on the blade.
Plus, the simple functionality of their designs is awesome.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Slash wrote:Actually, it's their ht that makes it a good knife. When you see Rowen on a blade. You know what you're getting. Just like all those years Buck had Boss stamped on the blade.
Plus, the simple functionality of their designs is awesome.
How does the edge retention compare to the different steels that Spyderco uses? Does the blade hold up well to low sharpening angles?

Jack
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

RC is low so that they are not brittle. Great knives for the price. Have a look at their website and forum. They have a big following with good reason. Straight forward no BS warranty and they stand by their product.

I have an Izula. Great knife.

I have a 12 degree edge on the Izula. Holds up well, it is 1095 carbon. A good steel, simple, old, no fuss. You ding it, you sharpen it, you chip it, you sharpen it. The more you use the knife, the better it becomes.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I've seen 1095 in a lot of applications and I agree 100% that the HT is what makes the difference. 1095, while not the newest and hottest steel, is pretty much timeless in its utility and performance. Some might poo-poo the lack of rust resistance, but for anyone who really knows about blades and blade steels, it's a 'problem' that's easily overcome, and a drawback that's well worth it, given all 1095 brings to the table. . I've recently written an article about another good field/tactical knife, and the only 'criticism' I had of the blade was it would be better served if it was made from a steel like 1095, D-2, or O-1, simply for their proven performance in so many classic field knives.

From a design standpoint, I think the rugged simplicity of the ESEE knives also transcends all the modern hoopla that we see in many knife company's marketing campaigns. With increasing regularity we see advertisements saying this knife or that knife was designed by, or made for, X,Y,Z special operations forces. Frankly, for one who is intimately familiar with the special operations community, it gets old. ESEE's knives, and similarly designed knives by other companies, are popular not for the hype, but for the simple rugged utility they have. A rugged practicality that can be pressed into service in both the combat and utility rolls with equal ease. Anyone can make a futuristic looking blade, paint it black, get some 'special ops' type to endorse it, and expect to sell it. It doesn't matter if the blade is worth a crap, , , just so long as it fits into everyone's preconceived notion of what a "tactical" knife should look like. However, once in the field, anyone who's ever been in a combat unit will quickly learn what works, and what doesn't. When this happens, its knives like the ESEE line of fixed blades that will find their way into the hands of operators. Because they work.

I'm not a fanboy of ESEE knives, but I do very much appreciate their apparent commitment to the beauty and grace of quality and functionality. Frankly, it's these same qualities that attracts me to Spyderco's folders
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Looks like they are coming out with a folder.

http://www.eseeknives.com/izula.htm

Jack
HighDesertSpyder

Post by HighDesertSpyder »

Hi Jack,
That looks like a pretty nice folder overall. I was also curious about these knives.
Let us know what you are looking at what you come up with too!
Josh
:spyder:74:spyder:
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

The folder has been in the works for a few years, nothing has been seen other then renderings.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

HighDesertSpyder wrote:Hi Jack,
That looks like a pretty nice folder overall. I was also curious about these knives.
Let us know what you are looking at what you come up with too!
Josh
I would be MUCH more interested in a folder than a fixed blade. I have very little need of a fixed blade. I have a beater SOG that I use when I don't care if I destroy it (which I haven't been able to do). Plus it has D2 steel (for now). I'd love to have that. I never have before. It's still in the thinking stage it seems so there's no telling what will change by the time it's released.

Jack
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

They warranty 100% abuse. Pretty ballsy if you ask me but great confidents in there brand.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Zenith wrote:The folder has been in the works for a few years, nothing has been seen other then renderings.
So, I don't need to start saving money? :)

Jack
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Hey Jack,

Thanks for posting that. A folder that has been in the works for years. Man I am behind. I am very insterested in this one. I like my ESEE knife I own. Again you can't do better than the warranty they provide. Great product and Company. Cheers.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've been looking for a small machete to replace my old and beat up Wally-world model. The ESEE Junglas is a real class act - and big enough to do some serious chopping and brush clearing. Granted, it isn't a 24" Zombie Killer, but it will work for 95% of these types of tasks I need it for (e.g., camping, pioneering, yard work).

Plus, Spyderco doesn't make a blade that fits this profile at this price point...

TedP
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

phillipsted wrote:I've been looking for a small machete to replace my old and beat up Wally-world model. The ESEE Junglas is a real class act - and big enough to do some serious chopping and brush clearing. Granted, it isn't a 24" Zombie Killer, but it will work for 95% of these types of tasks I need it for (e.g., camping, pioneering, yard work).

Plus, Spyderco doesn't make a blade that fits this profile at this price point...

TedP
The Junglas works great for clearing brush and splitting wood. It's heavy enough to be a chopper, but it lacks length. Overall, it is a very effective tool with great handle ergonomics.

I have an Izula as well, and there is no need for scales or a cord wrap. I use the hole on the end to put my pinky in and the blade isn't going to go anywhere.

Never tried their other models, but so far 1095 with their heat treat is adequate and quite capable of performing various tasks successfully.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I have an ESEE 6 and an Izula that I use exclusively in the wilderness. They compliment eachother nicely. These blades are tough as nails and cut like chainsaws while being very comfortable in hand. The micarta scales are pleasant to use and to look at.

On another note, the Izula is a great fixed blade for EDC. I barely even notice it in my pocket.

ESEE also has accessories to go with each knife which can be pricy(IMO) but are a nice bonus if you decide to "add on". I have the belt clip and pouch for my ESEE 6 and they are a nice addition to my set.

The TV show Dual Survival has the ESEE machete being used by Dave and Cody on the episode where they make a dugout canoe. You have to look real close in one of the shots to see the ESEE logo on the blade. Looks like they put that thing through its paces and they all survived.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

there is a difference between ontario and esee knives. they both use the RAT model. i guess awhile back there was a split in the company and they each went there own ways. i didnt know any better and ordered a Rat7 in D2 steel from ontario. i dont have any complaints with the knife but i thought you should know the info.

edit: when i bought the knife i chopped thru a few 2" X4"s with no problem, no chips, i sharpened it afterwards and got a nice edge on it
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

All I can speak for is the Izula and I've only had one for a short while. I went with the entire kit as I wanted the sheath clip. The fire steel is ok but the rest of the kit is pretty much hardware store stuff. I also got the micarta scales which are well worth the money.

If I had to do it again, I would probably just get the knife and scales. Too bad that ESEE doesn't provide a clip with the sheath unless you buy the whole kit.

I did put a drop of oil on the edge and laser etching as they suggested. It was sharp enough out of the "bag" but I always give new knives a stropping to bring out that little extra.

If the ESEE 4 sheath comes with a clip, it's definitely in my future.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I can't justify paying that much for 1095 fixed blades.

The HT seems perfectly fine for such a steel and application, IMO.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Blerv wrote:I can't justify paying that much for 1095 fixed blades.

The HT seems perfectly fine for such a steel and application, IMO.
That's funny, ESEE Knives are one of the reasons I can't justify the cost of most of the Spyderco Fixed blades.
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

jossta wrote:That's funny, ESEE Knives are one of the reasons I can't justify the cost of most of the Spyderco Fixed blades.
:D

I've got a few ESEE's. I know the steel guys/gals knock the choice of materials, but they are bomb proof, well made and perfect for what they are suited for. They've got a new small skinner style coming soon that I'm looking forward to.

http://www.jungletraining.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=10779

Unfortunate name tho :eek: