ESEE knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jossta

Post by jossta »

I agree. I have my fixed blades pretty well covered with a Les George Fixed VECP in 3v and a Busse ASH-1, plus a couple other bargain customs I'll get eventually, but if I was looking, it would be at ESEE, Swamp Rat or Scrap Yard. Or on more of a budget, Becker.

This is my next fixed blade:

Lon Humphrey forged out of 1084 or 5160 w/ curly maple for $160 w/ leather. Can add W2 w/ hamon and Ironwood for $50 more each, but I'll probably just go for the base.

http://forthenrycustomknives.com/product/13045AuWn.JPG
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Thanks for all the info guys. I don't have much need for fixed blades but I like having one or two for the times I do need or want one. I appreciate all the replies from people who own them. I'm going to keep them in my mind and on the wish list. Exact model? No idea. It will be one of the lesser expensive ones based on fixed blade need. I am interested in the folder but it seems it has been on the burner for a long time and not done yet. :(

Jack
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jossta wrote:That's funny, ESEE Knives are one of the reasons I can't justify the cost of most of the Spyderco Fixed blades.
How specifically? The closest thing to a crude FB Spyderco makes is the Bushcraft but it's finished amazing and made in the UK, hence why it's $140. You could buy a Moran Lightweight or former Aqua Salt for $60. A Mule can be finished and sheathed somewhere in the middle of those with more exotic offerings.

What gets me about companies like ESEE is others like Condor. El Salvator or not, 1075 vs 1095, it's the price of a box of Bud Light. I'd love to see Spyderco make a value FB and set the bar appropriately,
gundude73

Post by gundude73 »

The izula folder will not be made, instead they are going to be doing an ESEE3 folder, they are meeting with a taiwanese manufacturer at SHOT to work out the details.

The fixed blades are very solid and some of my favorite. Check out the ESEE4 if you want something shorter, the ESEE6 if you want something longer, the ESEE5 if you want something insanely tough.

Digicam Military
Digicam Paramilitary 2
Ladybug
Honeybee
Salt 1
Baliyo

-Matt
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Blerv wrote:How specifically? The closest thing to a crude FB Spyderco makes is the Bushcraft but it's finished amazing and made in the UK, hence why it's $140. You could buy a Moran Lightweight or former Aqua Salt for $60. A Mule can be finished and sheathed somewhere in the middle of those with more exotic offerings.

What gets me about companies like ESEE is others like Condor. El Salvator or not, 1075 vs 1095, it's the price of a box of Bud Light. I'd love to see Spyderco make a value FB and set the bar appropriately,
Where you finding a Aqua Salt for $60? PM if you don't want to say on the air.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Oh I meant when the Aqua Salt was still available. cutleryshoppe bad them for $64 I recall.

Warriors and Wonders still has some serrated ones for $80 I think. Frankly the SE ones are awesome.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I handled a ESEE5 last summer. Holding that knife gave me this insane urge to chop down a redwood tree. I couldn't imagine it slicing anything tougher than warm butter, but it was stout enough to chop down just about anything.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

well this thread made me go get my RAT 7 out. arm hair was easy to shave so i did a test patch on a few days growth on my face and it shaved that off as well, now i need to go shave so i dont look like an idiot..lol. i don't think warm or cold butter will be a hardship for the knife :)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
jossta

Post by jossta »

Blerv wrote:How specifically? The closest thing to a crude FB Spyderco makes is the Bushcraft but it's finished amazing and made in the UK, hence why it's $140. You could buy a Moran Lightweight or former Aqua Salt for $60. A Mule can be finished and sheathed somewhere in the middle of those with more exotic offerings.

Yeah, spyderco does have some lower priced fixed blades, I just don't like any of them. I don't have any need for an H1 FB and I think the Mules, while an awesome project and cool for collectors are butt ugly. Don't like the Morans either and VG10 is just as boring as 1095 IMO. For the same price I can get a knife made in the US that will perform as good or better.

Nice knives, but nothing in the price range or ESEE, Becker, Scrap Yard, Swamp Rat or the customs interests me. Rather have any of those.

I am going to grab 2 of the Cru-wear mules though.
Donut

Post by Donut »

My ETA for the Izula folder is 2020. I've seen pictures of it for years now with no real progress.

Jeff says if they could find a USA manufacturer that was willing to make it, they would provide the purchase order the same day.

ESEE provides practically everything I want in a fixed blade, full tang, carbon steel, and a no questions asked warranty. No questions asked warranty = confidence that it won't break doing something reasonable.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I would love a ESEE 4 Clip point...the only trouble. The handle is just too small.
On the hunt for...
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

My 2 ESEE. Both are great. No complaints here.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Yes Esee uses just 1095 and their knives arent all that fancy. At first I was like why pay that much money. But then I saw the light, especially as I learned more about knives. They heat treat their steel properly and their knives are design with simplicity and user friendly. They are made to do ONE thing....work, and work hard. I think thats why they use 1095, you can beat on it and it wont crack or chip immediatly, but when it does, its easy to fix. You can abuse the crap out of these knives. And this is one of the main reasons I can justify the price...no questions asked, you break it, we fix it, forever! Not many can say that.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
mkd

Post by mkd »

i bought my izula because it's just so darn kool !never had a neck knife and the last couple of years have bought all kinds of knives.started looking around and decided on the izula.at first i was going to para cord the handle but then i found scales that realy went well with the knife.someone recently stripped a kabar becker down and put a patina on it.that looked really nice.just wondering how affective a patina would be on an izula? this is how my izula ended up with the scales . Image
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I would love a ESEE 4 Clip point...the only trouble. The handle is just too small.
Have you looked at some of the aftermarket stuff? I had the same problem and new G-10 slabs turned this into an extension of my hand. A Junglas is in my very near future. There are some small trees in my back yard that have been mocking me.

DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

46Alpha wrote:Have you looked at some of the aftermarket stuff? I had the same problem and new G-10 slabs turned this into an extension of my hand. A Junglas is in my very near future. There are some small trees in my back yard that have been mocking me.

That mod and the wrap on your Izula look good....real good.

How was the mod done on the 4?
On the hunt for...
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

46Alpha wrote:Have you looked at some of the aftermarket stuff? I had the same problem and new G-10 slabs turned this into an extension of my hand. A Junglas is in my very near future. There are some small trees in my back yard that have been mocking me.

Exactly, go to the knife connection, they have lots of Esee stuff and a bunch of custom g10 scales for the izula, 3, and 4. Also you dont have to buy a complete knife then the g10 scales. They have knife blanks so you can order what you want. No you cant order just the blanks, so dont get ideas people lol.

Mkd, is that the desert tan or is that the grey izula?

Thanks to this thread, I jumped on an Esee 6 earlier. Cant wait to get it in mail. I needed a big blade for camp chores and heavy bushcraft. I was looking at some fallknivens or might of waited for the new bark river bravo 1.5 but the 6+ inch of the Esee was more appealing. I love convex, but the Esee should perform fine and I couldnt pass up the price I got. KSF had a discount code for the weekend and I had some leftover points so I knabbed the 6 for $105 shipped. Compared to the close to $200 Id pay for one of the others I decided to be humble. Cant wait to get it and beat it up. It helps that the knife isnt that pretty, thats a big problem with nice looking knives lol.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tonydahose wrote:well this thread made me go get my RAT 7 out. arm hair was easy to shave so i did a test patch on a few days growth on my face and it shaved that off as well, now i need to go shave so i dont look like an idiot..lol. i don't think warm or cold butter will be a hardship for the knife :)
Murray Carter has shaved his face with a hatchet before. Just because it's sharp enough to shave doesn't mean it slices worth a crap. I wouldn't want to cut up a large quantity of double wall corrugated boxes with one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JLS

Post by JLS »

I have a couple of Beckers from the Camillus days that serve me well for big knives.

But I had the chance to inspect a Junglas, ESEE 4 and ESEE 3 the other day and they were all very nice. I can see me getting an ESEE 3 in the near future. It handled like a great EDC fixed blade. I don't know that it would replace my ever-present Mule, but it was a very nice knife that would serve in that role very well.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:That mod and the wrap on your Izula look good....real good.

How was the mod done on the 4?
Thanks man.

As Drk pointed out, you can get aftermarket slabs from Knife Connection. As he said, you can build out a 3 or 4 to your liking. I keep meaning to do a three up to my liking.

Love the Izula. Next to my HAK, it's my go to EDC fixed. I know it's not a Spyderco, but the Izula really falls into the "little big knife" category. It's just so **** handy and with the paracord wrap it's so **** slim. I can grab it and jam the sheath in the small of my back and forget its there.