Mac vs PC

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
D1omedes

Mac vs PC

Post by D1omedes »

Hey guys. I know there are some pretty tech-savvy members on the board and I thought this would be a good place to ask something. I am going to be in the market for a new computer within a few months and was wondering if it was worth it to consider an Apple computer. Do any of you have any advice?

To clarify, this will be my home computer. Portability is a plus but reliability is more important. I plan on web-surfing and typing up documents. I have experience with MS Office but not iWorks. Gaming/movies will not be a big deal since I have a videogame system.

I know that if a PC laptop has an issue, there's really no point in repairing it. The cost will be close to the price of a new laptop. Does this apply to Apple laptops as well? I managed to get 5 years out of my Dell laptop before something fried on the videocard and now I'm unable to use it.
syphen

Post by syphen »

Macbook pro

/End.
Too many Spydies to list!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

If you're not planning on graphing, doing math or science with the machine definitely go Mac. If you plan on doing math or science, do what math and science people do and go PC. Mac does not have the capability or compatibility to run most calculation programs, Gaussian excluded.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

While for the price you can get 3 PCs, I love the Macbook Pro. We have a 27 inch Imac too, but it was a write off... ;) (****, they both were.)

Franky, for your application you don't need a Mac. Do you have disposable income? If you do go for it. If not, get a midrange (or cheap) pc, and pay for a service plan, as long and as comprehensive as you can get. That way if you do have problems you can dump them on Best Buy, or whoever.

I don't mean to be insulting, but have you seen what these Macs cost? It's friggin ridiculous! We have a photography business, and use them pretty exclusively for editing. (Well, the wife does. I'm not a photographer, if you've seen any of my pictures. ;) )

But if you don't need it I vote that it isn't worth the money. And that's coming from a guy who spent more on computers in the last two years than I did on my car.
:o
Slash

Post by Slash »

Unless you're one of those appleheads, that has to have everything apple. Then get a pc. Windows 8 should be kool. I'm not upgrading till then.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

SolidState wrote:If you're not planning on graphing, doing math or science with the machine definitely go Mac. If you plan on doing math or science, do what math and science people do and go PC. Mac does not have the capability or compatibility to run most calculation programs, Gaussian excluded.
But you have to look at the price point. Especially if it's just for web surfing and documents.
****, I use my phone for both of those things more than a computer.

If that is literally all a computer is used for (And I'm not directing this at the OP, just generally, I don't know what else you might want to use your computer for) I'd suggest a Netbook, unless you're constantly typing 30 page papers, than I'd want a bigger screen.

A $300-$500 laptop with a $100-$200 service plan covers your butt from just about anything for X amount of years, and comes in at half the price of a bottom end Mac.

A Macbook cost $1000.

A Macbook Pro starts at $1200 and goes up, way up.

Why spend that kind of cash when you don't have to?

Unless it's a social status thing. If that's the case... Grow up. :D

I'm not bashing Apple either, like I said we have two very nice ones, but if they weren't needed for a specific purpose (editing pictures and video) we sure as **** wouldn't own them.

Maybe a Mac Mini. :D
syphen

Post by syphen »

Rwb1500 wrote:But you have to look at the price point. Especially if it's just for web surfing and documents.
****, I use my phone for both of those things more than a computer.

If that is literally all a computer is used for (And I'm not directing this at the OP, just generally, I don't know what else you might want to use your computer for) I'd suggest a Netbook, unless your constantly typing 30 page papers, than I'd want a bigger screen.

A Macbook cost $1000.

A Macbook Pro starts at $1200 and goes up, way up.

Why spend that kind of cash when you don't have to?

Unless it's a social status thing. If that's the case... Grow up. :D
Well, by that logic, you should sell any Spyderco's and other knives worth over $80... because clearly that piece of steel from China sold in a discount store under their own brand name is clearly just as easily up to the cutting job.

While I still own a PC, and use it for the odd bit of gaming here and there, my day to day is on OSX via a macbook pro. I would never go back to a windows laptop for my day to day surfing or grind. Well worth the extra money. The hardware 'lasts' longer as it can continue to run updated versions of OSX whereas new Windows updates frequently antiquate hardware on at an atrocious speed.
Too many Spydies to list!
Slash

Post by Slash »

Yeah, macbook 2x the cost of pc and 1/2 the speed.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Comparing stats to stats it's hard really. Apple has a friendly OS and a cult following. It's a solid product especially for the normal word processor type.

Stat wise some pc's like from Asus are killer and they don't charge ya an arm and a leg. They are on par with Mac reliability wise if you're smart and get a good virus program m. I love ESET. Pc's are used more so like 95% of the virus' are written for them.

Frankly tho for real speed and reliability custom built is pro. We put together a tower for my wife (digital artist) and it flies for $1300. She has two hard drives to further prevent data loss from one failing. Not to mention a towe (vs laptop) per star simply performs better, is cheaper, and can be repaired/upgraded instead of junking it. Oh, and ours didn't come with webcams and all sorts of random crap to delete.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

syphen wrote:Well, by that logic, you should sell any Spyderco's and other knives worth over $80... because clearly that piece of steel from China sold in a discount store under their own brand name is clearly just as easily up to the cutting job.

While I still own a PC, and use it for the odd bit of gaming here and there, my day to day is on OSX via a macbook pro. I would never go back to a windows laptop for my day to day surfing or grind. Well worth the extra money. The hardware 'lasts' longer as it can continue to run updated versions of OSX whereas new Windows updates frequently antiquate hardware on at an atrocious speed.
You're absolutely right, but not everyone places as much importance on longevity. Computers have become disposable. That's why you can buy a $200 PC.

You're correct about the hardware "lasting" longer as well. I have a buddy who still uses a Macbook that is ten years old. Again, I don't have anything against them, frankly I love ours, and the new Windows OSs are frightening to say the least.

I'm just saying that some people balk at the price, and some people balk at the price of Busse blades. Doesn't make it right or wrong.

I'm waiting for the Android OS to continue expanding and Windows to go the way of the Dodo. (No sprint runs please. :D )
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Thanks for the info, guys. Although money is tight, I am willing to save for an Apple product if they are more reliable. As far as OS, Apple seems to run a superior one for a casual user like me. Their aesthetic designs are also appealing.

Blerv mentioned custom computers. Do any of you know of a company that can provide a good computer for less than an Apple?
Slash

Post by Slash »

Holland

Post by Holland »

once you buy mac, you cant go back.

user friendly, more reliable, no viruses. great machine
Slash

Post by Slash »

I would read this. http://m.wisegeek.com/should-i-buy-a-mac-or-a-pc.htm

Bottom line is it's your money and only you know what you're trying to do with your computer.

My bro works for Microsoft as a senior programmer
and of course he doesn't use a Mac for anything.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I love these debates. It facinates me what people say. I like both products and I have worked for a Mac reseller as well as a very large PC company. Both have their place. Long story short, any computer can do simple word processing and web browsing. In my opinoin if you shell out 1.5k for an Imac just to surf the web, well more power to you, but you could do those things much cheaper. Apple is overpriced and almost always behind the tech curve. But theY make some of the coolest looking tech gear and toys on the planet. I like and use both. Good luck with your choice.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I see reliability in multiple ways. You have the warranty and non-warranty period.

In the first phase the Apple way is cooler than many companies (like Dell). A good place that knows their stuff is as easy to deal with and will keep you protected as well. Either route you arrive with something broken, that shouldn't be, and they fix it. I'm counting hardware problems not user or software (ie: I don't have a quality virus scanner and love to click spam email). As to which flukes more that really is a mystery.

Once the warranty dies things get interesting. Since your on the hook reliability really does matter. Rather than taking one testemony over another (which is the most narrow survey you can ask for), here is a recent article...take it with a grain of salt:

http://ctwatchdog.com/business/2011-com ... sus-on-top

Suppose you found a shop well respected in the area. A place that is a dealer/repair facility for a brand like Asus. They could put you together something cheaper than a similar model at Best Buy and far more performance/buck than a laptop. They would prob give you a similar warranty and IF you had a problem they could repair anything w/o mailing it off. Hard drive? No problem. Monitor? They fetch a new one. If you had multiple drives set to back themselves up you prob won't even lose files.

Laptops are like cars made by magic elves who then welded the hood shut. Working on them is nearly impossible (but not completely) and everything is so crammed it heats up and runs like crap. Performance versions generate more heat than the Deathstar and still won't keep up with the tower equivalent, especially for the money. Then if you get the average life out of one at peak performance, or stretch it to 4 years you toss it and start over.

I understand portable and it often makes sense. It made WAY more sense before smart phones (I use an IPhone ;) ). Prob is you pay for it and end up with a paperweight at some point instead of just fixing or upgrading before it breaks.

You might find a shop in your area and talk to them with a budget and goal. Get some quotes and opinions. They will always have a MacBook at the Apple store.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I have PC for work and my Girlfriend uses mac for her personal use so naturally I have spent some time on it.

My GF's boss uses a Mac 2 or something (one of the first flat screen ones). Way out of warranty, but still running without problems.

Mac has less operating bugs to be sorted out, if you have a problem you take the **** thing to Mac store and they sort it out for you. I like that. It is your product, make it work.

I really cant complain about either one. For work, using office etc a cheap laptop can do that for you. Mac is a complete package and you pay for it, you cant nick pick what you want in the operating system etc.

Either way, both good, just different.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

holland wrote:once you buy mac, you cant go back.

User friendly, more reliable, no viruses. Great machine
+1