Whats your favorite knife brand other than Spyderco

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

Sebenza, Case, Benchmade, Kershaw and SAK.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I really didn't find much beside Spyderco. I had three Kershaws, but didn't like them and sold. Had Mcasta Take, but wasn't impressed enough to keep. Handled Sebenza on the knife show, also wasn't impressed. I liked my old BM Ares, but do not have it anymore. I like few William Henry, but cannot afford at this point :o and not sure if I will like stud. I really didn't like studs on my Mcusta.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Victorionox. I carry a Cadet with my Spyderco and can't see myself not having one on hand. I would like to try Opinel but just haven't picked one up yet. I don't see any other production knives bumping into my Spyderco collection. Customs are way down the road for me. I am content with what Spyderco has been releasing. :D
JLS

Post by JLS »

A good knife is a good knife. While Spyderco is by far my favorite brand (80%+), other companies make a good knife. Occasionally, they even make a good knife at a good price.

Other brands that I have include (this is not an exhaustive list):

Benchmade (AFCK, Pinnacle, Ambush,fixed Griptillian)
Becker (Magnum Camp)
Kershaw (Junkyard Dog, Echo, ET)
Gerber (A475 fixed blade)
REKAT (Pioneer, Savant)
CRKT (Rollock)
Cold Steel (Large Vaquero)

Most of those are distinctly different from what Spyderco offers. I appreciate innovative locks on folders and different steels and blade shapes on all knives.

What Spyderco does for me is use the latest and greatest in materials, good ergonomics and constant innovation in everything they do...all at a relatively low cost. I also respect them as an ethically run business and that's not easy to find these days.

It is extremely rare that I have anything but Spyderco folders on me, due to the hole. As of the past few years, I rarely have anything but Spyderco fixed blades on me either, largely due to the Mule Team and Swick knives. I'm constantly testing different steels in my daily use. I'd miss a few of the other knives, but I could be quite happy buying only one brand for the rest of my life.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

There are a few that I want to try out...and I do own a couple others, CRKT and Kershaw. But for the most part, I am happy with Spyderco.

I did pick up a couple little Kershaw Squaw Creek knives, great little folders, small but well made, and I got the old Japanese made stock, not the newer Chinese made ones. Love those little things...though I need more, cause people wanted them so I gave them away.

Oh and I have ordered a Fallkniven WM1.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

NYRich wrote:I've owned SAKs for about 30 years and have had some Case's nearly as long. It's those two brands that got me interested in knives.

Lately, I've been looking into fixed blades and have an ESEE Izula on the way. If it's as good as people say it is, I can see an ESEE 4 in my future as well.

Other than Spyderco, the only other locking folders I really like (and can afford) are Benchmade. The axis lock is a nice design and the Griptilian is a lot of knife for the money.
Lol, there might be more then an Esee 4 in your future. I have two Izulas. No other Esees but will probably own one in the future. If your looking for a no frills, high quality, hard use fixed blade back by an amazing guarantee, Esee is hard to beat.

Spydercos dominate as my main edc folder day to day. I havent carried another brand in about 10 months. I only have two other SOGs and a benchmade mini grip, not bad knives, but my spydercos are far superior. I always carry a SAK with me no matter where I go and have been using them since Ive been using knives. I also really like Bark River Knives. They make semi custom, high quality fixed blades, have tons of designs, just like spyderco, tons of handles and variations and they all come with a super sharp convexed blade. I use leathermans also. So I cant really say what my favorite brand is but I guess I can say it like this. My favorite edc folding knife is Spyderco, my favorite fixed blades are from Bark River, my favorite hard use multi tool is leatherman and my favorite all around user is victorinox.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

My second choice is Kershaw, I like most of their designs. I would like to try some of Coldsteel's knives but Spydies are my priority.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

I like Boker. The Nopal is very cool and I am hoping to get a Subcom soon.
Own or have owned: Manix2, Dragonfly G10, Sage 1, Tasman Salt, Delica 4 waved, Kiwi, SS Police, Orange PM2, Pacific Salt, Gayle Bradley, Tenacious, Harpy, Military, Salsa, ZDP-189 Ladybug

Come chat with us on IRC at #Spyderco!
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?
BSBG

Post by BSBG »

Hinderer and Strider for me.
I have too many expensive hobbies to even consider another one.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would really like to say Strider but man ~$500 for a folder is a bit steep for me no matter how awesome it is. A S110V Strider is one of my dream knives. I just don't think i could live with myself if i broke or lost it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BSBG

Post by BSBG »

Evil D wrote:I just don't think i could live with myself if i broke or lost it.
If you lost it, you would feel bad. You probably would never break it, and if you did they'll fix it for you :) .
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

NYRich wrote:I've owned SAKs for about 30 years and have had some Case's nearly as long. It's those two brands that got me interested in knives.

Lately, I've been looking into fixed blades and have an ESEE Izula on the way. If it's as good as people say it is, I can see an ESEE 4 in my future as well.

Other than Spyderco, the only other locking folders I really like (and can afford) are Benchmade. The axis lock is a nice design and the Griptilian is a lot of knife for the money.
Good choices! The three ESEE's I own are the 4 and the Izula and Izula 2. All great knives that stand up to a lot of abuse. I've been eyeballing the ESEE 3 as well. Now if Spyderco would stop with the Para2 sprints I might have some spare money :p

J/K, keep em coming!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BSBG wrote:If you lost it, you would feel bad. You probably would never break it, and if you did they'll fix it for you :) .
To what degree? I don't know much about the company. If i found one for $400 or less and it just happened to be around refund time, i might take the plunge but otherwise i'm just as happy with paying half as much for a sprint run Para 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BSBG

Post by BSBG »

Their lifetime warranty is pretty simple: if it breaks, they fix it as long as it was not intentional misuse. Sometimes even if it was if you have a good reason.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

None, Spyderco only lol seriously though NONE!
GotDogs

Post by GotDogs »

Spyderco, ZT and Kershaw in that order. Between these brands I can usually find something that comes pretty close to custom quality at " My Pocket " prices. John
I may look calm, but in my head I've killed you 3 times.
Truckie453

Post by Truckie453 »

Funny thing is now that I have my first spyderco (and another on the way), I am starting to sell my other folding knives to buy more spydercos. For non folders I love my ESEEs.
-Vinny

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.

:spyder: endura (lost)
:spyder: dragonfly
:spyder: Gayle Bradley
:spyder: Para 2
:spyder: Purple Delica 4 (lost)
:spyder: Yojimbo 2
:spyder: Orange Delica 4
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Blind Horse Knives. Big fan!
ESEE
Kershaw
Becker

Customs

JK Knives
Wohlwend
Fiddleback Forge
Fletcher
Adventure Sworn
KFU Customs
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Bluntrauma wrote:Blind Horse Knives. Big fan!
ESEE
Kershaw
Becker

Customs

JK Knives
Wohlwend
Fiddleback Forge
Fletcher
Adventure Sworn
KFU Customs
I've considered the Blind Horse knife with the leather sheath that pivots on the end of the handle. I really think that would be a nice small knife to either carry or have in my tool box. Normally a fixed blade and it's sheath end up in two different places when I use it and don't have the sheath on my belt. The other BHKs look really nice also but I don't have much need for fixed blades.

Jack
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Yeah I know which one you're talking about, I think they call it the snapp knapp. I don't have that one but it looks like a nice little utility blade. the people at BHK are just good folks and their knives are really well made. they feel very close to custom with their basic production models and you can always have them do upgrades upon request to get an even more custom look. I had no use for fixed blades until I bought one a couple of years ago. Now I have about 25 of them. Finally found a use. :)
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.