Whats your favorite knife brand other than Spyderco

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Deacon wrote:X-Acto.
:D :D

Leatherman and Victorinox Swiss Army. Spyderco spoiled me for any other brands - honestly.

- best wishes, Jazz.
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

See that's my problem. TOO MANY great knives. I currently own (and love) the following:
-Emerson
-ZT
-CRKT
-Benchmade
-Leatherman
-EESE
And more. In most cases, I have at least three of each. I feel you need to own at least three of anything to make informed decisions :rolleyes:

Spyderco is by far my fav, and the brand I own the most of by a big margin. But there is some COOL stuff out there. Too many great knives, guns and motorcycles that I need and not enough $$$$$ ;)
dcmartin2001

Post by dcmartin2001 »

HInderer
Chris Reeve
Strider

I'll tell you what, my Gayle Bradley and my Para 2 in CTS-20CP stands right up there with'em
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Hinderer (Fixed and Folding)
Chris Reeve (Fixed and Folding)
EK
Randall
Fallkniven
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Chris Reeve, ESEE, BUSSE kin and then I buy hand made knives and customs from local (South African) makers.

I use to buy Benchmade as well, but that ship has sailed, they dont appeal to me any more.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

opinel
Slash

Post by Slash »

practically any kitchen knife brand that is German made using high carbon stainless steel. they're all pretty good and used daily for one of the things I love to do...EAT.

ohh and Buck for classic folders/fixed blades. Hogue for more modern designs and their excellent manufacturing/machining process including a great heat treat, which everyone knows is the most important part of a knives functionality.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Spyderco by far and away is my favorite.
I like Fallkniven fixed blades.
I have a few Benchmades I don't regret buying.
I really, really like my Hogue Ex-01 3.5. 2nd best knife under $200 I've ever owned (best is ATR Ti).

Post by 1623 »

If I were to go after anything other than Spyderco it would be Case; I'm quite taken with their Sloped Bolstered Orange series.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I always compare modern folders to Spyderco. For that reason more traditional models like the Opinel and SAK interest me. Thinking of getting a Svold Peasant folder.
unit

Post by unit »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:It's called CUSTOMS...Doc :)
Agreed...but not all CUSTOMS...some are just awful...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Having EDCed SAKs for decades, I guess I'm brand-loyal. But the Spyderco aesthetic and way of doing business finally got my attention last year and I can find no compelling reason to try other brands, good as they may be.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

If it weren't for :spyder: , I'd be carrying a Boker Cox...or a Zero Tolerance ZT300. Both of which I neglect now.. :p
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I like ESEE and Mora knives. Mora knives have got to be the best deal around. You just cant beat the quality for the price.

You know its funny, I wasn't really into knives until I met Spyderco.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
mkd

Post by mkd »

benchmade! benchmade! benchmade!and more benchmade.i like the old school stuff.800afck! Image
BAL

Post by BAL »

I wasn't aware that there were others. I may look into this one day.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Victorinox and Tom Krein customs
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
unit

Post by unit »

mkd wrote:benchmade! benchmade! benchmade!and more benchmade.i like the old school stuff.800afck! Image
It looks like a Spyderco in the photo :D
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

I've owned SAKs for about 30 years and have had some Case's nearly as long. It's those two brands that got me interested in knives.

Lately, I've been looking into fixed blades and have an ESEE Izula on the way. If it's as good as people say it is, I can see an ESEE 4 in my future as well.

Other than Spyderco, the only other locking folders I really like (and can afford) are Benchmade. The axis lock is a nice design and the Griptilian is a lot of knife for the money.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I don't have much experience with many not-Spyderco knives. I will say that recently I bought 3 Cold Steel knives. I got a med. Voyager clip point, mini-Lawman and American Lawman. I really like these knives for the price. The main reason I didn't get any sooner was the steel is AUS-8A. I wasn't too excited about that. I got the Voyager and used it some and was very happy with it. Also, it was only $33 I think. Then I ordered a mini-Lawman and they sent me the American Lawman by mistake. I decided to keep it. Jeff at CS said not to worry about the extra $5 or so. Then I got the mini-lawman on eBay because it was really inexpensive. So, I'd have to say that the Cold Steel knives are my favorite non-Spyderco knives. The steel takes a great edge and retains it better than the AUS-8 blades I've used. So for the money I'm very happy. The Tri-ad lock does lock up rock solid which is why I wanted a Cold Steel knife anyway. I do like that lock. I carried them for a couple of weeks then picked up my Spydercos again and the exceptional quality of Spyderco jumped out at me. There is nothing wrong with the Cold Steel knives but the Spyderco's just have that extra good feeling that most knives I've held don't have.

I do want to say about Cold Steel is I hate the attitude in their advertising that all of their competators only sell junk, are posers and don't know anything about knives. I'm paraphrasing so it's not a quote but that is what they say in their catalog introduction. I think that it's untrue and also very immature even if it were true. That's another thing I like about the Spyderco attitude is they don't want any mean things said about the competition on this forum.

Jack