Whats your favorite knife brand other than Spyderco

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Mano wrote:All right all right, i will try to take newer pictures next time i post, promise!

Rwb1500 have you tried a knife from Jose? if the preference is on high carbon not stainless he makes knives in M4 and 51200 too.
I've thought about it, even looked some of his stuff over. Problem is everytime I have extra cash this little knife company from Colorado releases another incredible design I must have.
Inusuit

Post by Inusuit »

Buck. Rough Rider.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I've owned many other brands over the years, but few hold a candle to my Spydies...

More Spydies, please. :)

~Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

After Spyderco....

...for me it is ESEE knives and Victorinox. Don't need anything else.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Will always love Spyderco but I am crazy about Emerson and Zero Tolerance right now, I think the mini CQC15 is in my future as well as the new ZT 0561.

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Removed, already posted. Geez age decreases memory!
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

First knives I really started collecting were the Kershaw Leeks. Started collecting those some years ago and still have a bunch-o them in different colors, steels, and scales. One day it just stopped????? Have some other Kershaw's, JYD, Random II etc. they design and manufacture a great line. Have a few Benchmade's, and the Fallkniven F1 in 3g, S1 and A1......very nice fixed blade knives which get really sharp. Others accumulated over the years (maybe my username should be "packrat")

Wish I'd found Spyderco sooner, there are a number of older models I would love to have including the PE Starmate. I've bought a few other knives (CRKT) and Bradley since this affliction. I keep telling myself after those on pre-order are paid for I'm through, but then you know what happens.............
RayRay

Best: Benchmade 9100 auto, worst: Microtech

Post by RayRay »

[ATTACH]20120[/ATTACH]
The best user I've ever bought is a Benchmade 9100 Auto with Tanto Blade (154CM). I carried this on patrol in the States for about 5 years before going to Afghanistan for 5 years. It works in the sun, sand, dust, snow, no issues. I keep it clean & sharp, but I don't baby it. I use it to cut AK-47 ammo from heavy plactic, I snap packng straps for various types of cargo, I open MREs, and I've used it as a type of drill to punch or "twist" holes in walls when installing internet cable in B-Huts. To be fair, I chipped the edge pretty bad when I first go it. (I did that State-Side) I re-profiled it using a DMT kit, and it has been fine for the past 10 years. As you can see by the photos, I've worn the black coating off, and it looks prety rough. This knife has been my longest running, hard use knife. On the other hand, the worst knife I ever bought was a Microtech UTX-70. I got it in my head that I wanted the tiny OTF as a cool little pen-knife. Complete non-working junk, with NO support from the Microtech factory. I will never again buy a Microtech. For what it's worth, guys that really use their knivs run Benchmades, Gerber 06s, Spydercos, and for some reason these guys like the CRKT. As far as the the CRKT, I still don't "get it", but I thnk it has somethng to do with the lower cost point. Be safe & keep it sharp.
Attachments
IMG_3227.jpg
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Kanetsugu kitchen knives.
Some Bark River fixed blades, Leatherman multitools (have a Spyderwrench as well :D )
gtrtech

Post by gtrtech »

Other than Spyderco,at present Kershaw is my next favorite.
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
"Ted Nugent"

Club 71
Sht

Post by Sht »

I'd say ZT for the 55X & 56X. If this is where they are going I'll follow.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
rnbtexas

Post by rnbtexas »

I agree since I found Spyderco I haven't looked any further. I do like my Kershaw Leek and I have a Ka-Bar Dozer large. I really like both of those too. Oh, There's another company here in Denver that makes kinves, Outdoor edge. I picked up their grip lite with a pocket clip. For $20 bucks it's hard to beat in that price point.
pl4stic

Post by pl4stic »

Victorinox and Bark River.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

TheWildernessKidd wrote:I like Kershaw and Benchmade.

But spyderco is my number 1
Same here-

my Kershaw knives:

my Benchmade knives:

Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

RayRay wrote:[ATTACH]20120[/ATTACH]
The best user I've ever bought is a Benchmade 9100 Auto with Tanto Blade (154CM). I carried this on patrol in the States for about 5 years before going to Afghanistan for 5 years. It works in the sun, sand, dust, snow, no issues. I keep it clean & sharp, but I don't baby it. I use it to cut AK-47 ammo from heavy plactic, I snap packng straps for various types of cargo, I open MREs, and I've used it as a type of drill to punch or "twist" holes in walls when installing internet cable in B-Huts. To be fair, I chipped the edge pretty bad when I first go it. (I did that State-Side) I re-profiled it using a DMT kit, and it has been fine for the past 10 years. As you can see by the photos, I've worn the black coating off, and it looks prety rough. This knife has been my longest running, hard use knife. On the other hand, the worst knife I ever bought was a Microtech UTX-70. I got it in my head that I wanted the tiny OTF as a cool little pen-knife. Complete non-working junk, with NO support from the Microtech factory. I will never again buy a Microtech. For what it's worth, guys that really use their knivs run Benchmades, Gerber 06s, Spydercos, and for some reason these guys like the CRKT. As far as the the CRKT, I still don't "get it", but I thnk it has somethng to do with the lower cost point. Be safe & keep it sharp.

Beautiful.

Totally off topic, but what are you doing in Afghanistan for 5 years straight opening 7.62x39? Civilian?
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

I'm a contractor, and I go where the $$$$ is.
Rwb1500 wrote:Beautiful.

Totally off topic, but what are you doing in Afghanistan for 5 years straight opening 7.62x39? Civilian?
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

I am a huge fan of Bark River Knives. To me, they are to fixed blades what Spyderco is to folders. I just recently purchased one of the ten Custom Karambits (still don't know what I am going to do with it... :confused: ), and I have a pre-order for the new Scandi in CPM-3V with Masur Birch handles. My collection includes an Aurora 3V custom, Bravo II, and one of the new A-2 Goloks. These are all great users, and I hope to enjoy them for years to come.

High quality, American made knives... what's not to love. :D
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Buck and Emerson for me.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

SpyderNut wrote:I've owned many other brands over the years, but few hold a candle to my Spydies...

More Spydies, please. :)

~Michael
What he said, because it's true. I can't stand thumbstuds or nonergonomic knives anymore, so why use them? I do love my Leatherman multitools and SAK's, however.

- best wishes, Jazz.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Spyderco's are my lockback knives and Case my classic slip joints. I have approx. 200 Cases in my collection and like three more having everything I want out of the 2012 Spyderco catalog. I just got a 2012 Benchmade catalog in the mail this week and there is not one knife in the whole catalog that I like. I own a couple of Benchmades because I deals on them that I couldn't refuse. There is a flea market near where I live that does a huge knife business and I buy something every week. Yesterday it was a Browning small game and bird knife with Rosewood handles like brand new for 30 dollars. I have knives of other brands too numerous to mention here.