Hinderer Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
cosmo7809

Hinderer Knives

Post by cosmo7809 »

Would like to know if any of you other Spydie fanatics own or plan to own any version of Hinderer Knife.

For a few years now I have been drooling over Hinderer. Particularly the 3in. XM-18 non flipper. There is just something about that knife that gets me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I plan to purchase one by Mar-Apr as thats when the next batch will be released.

So, for the guys that own Hinderer knives or plan to own, what are your thoughts?

I just ask that this does not turn into a "too expensive" or "get XYZ instead" thread.

Thanks, Chris
Come Join Us Click Here
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

i had one-nice -
but it also wasnt 900$-
sold mine and made a few bucks-
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

I'd love to own one, I just can't justify the cost. I've had to satisfy the urge with ZT instead. I love the 0550 and I'm looking forward to the 0560.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I have three. Absolutley the best knives I have ever owned. Even better than all my the striders. You will not regret it. I would reccomend a 3.5 inch however even though I have both sizes just because it is so much beefier than the 3 incher and really shows the quality of his knives.

39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I had both a 3 and 3.5 non-flipper and preferred the 3. They're great knives, on par with my CRKs(perhaps slightly less F&F if you're really, REALLY picky!). I got mine through the Frontline discount and when I needed to move them, they sold in minutes! But, I didn't make a profit in keeping with how I got them. They're great, strong knives and if they offered the Ti slab when I owned them, the 3" would probably still be with me.

It's my hope they will become as easy to acquire as CRKs/Striders in the future.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Stony

Post by Stony »

I've owned a few. :)
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

he did ti ones from the start-mine was all ti -just had to ask

what i didnt like was the fact he took my money telling me mine was done and then i found out he was selling ones he made like my custom request before he sent me mine that i had paid in full - i waited 2-3 months after i paid

after talking to him i didnt like him personally either-
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

rosconey wrote:he did ti ones from the start-mine was all ti -just had to ask
I'm assuming you're referring to me. I did ask for an all-Ti but at the time Rick said he wasn't making them. Then again, I didn't get a full-on custom, either, but the price I paid wasn't a month's mortgage :D
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I've got a 3.5 inch XM-18 and I do like it for what it is but it's too heavy and I prefer thinner blades. I still plan on keeping it long term but I doubt it will ever displace my Spydies from my pocket.

The secondary market price is way too high and it's gotten worse in the recent months but I think what Rick charges is reasonable. Purely in a bang for buck sense, I think a ZT is a much better deal.

And since someone already brought up CRK, I think the Hinderers have much better visual appeal. As an engineer, I have a profound respect for CRK and their dedication to precision but they don't pop out. Even my non-knife buddies ask to check out the XM-18 while they don't give the Sebbies a second glance.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Stony

Post by Stony »

Here are some of the ones i've had.

Production Slicer grind 3.5''

More 3.5''s

All Ti Flame

Nonflipper custom Slicer grind.

Another Flame

And another Flame.

All 3''

Custom spearpoint. 3.5''
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

very nice collection stony! Sweet blades
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I have the Rick Hinderer XM-24, non-flipper. I've been searching for a Hinderer folding knife for a long time and came upon the XM-24 one day. Definitely well worth the wait!

The XM-24 has a thick, four-inch blade and features a very durable built. The knife is big and heavy... and I like that! Overall, I find the quality of a Hinderer folding knife to be outstanding. Although it works quite well for pocket carry, I had a custom leather sheath made for the XM-24 for belt carry.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Guys, thank you very much for the information and pictures!!!

Makes me long for an XM-18 even more!
Come Join Us Click Here
raven

Post by raven »

Hey cosmo7809, I have two XM-18 3", one XM-18 3.5" and an FXM. I just recently replaced the G10 scales with Titanium scales on the folders ;) :cool: . If and when you get the XM ... You won't be disappointed ;) . These folders are as ROCK Solid and Tough as they come!!! Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
BSBG

Post by BSBG »

Hinderers are great knives, I carry an XM-24 a lot on the weekends. They are built like watches, tough and feel great i the hand. I agree the secondary market pricing has gotten ridiculous, I was offer 2.5 times what I paid Rick for my custom 24...

I have too many expensive hobbies to even consider another one.
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

Ya know, I had dismissed Hinderer knives due to price (mostly looking on fleabay). But then I'm hearing how overpriced the secondary market is. Leads me to wonder, how much DOES a Hinderer cost? I'm LE, so I know I can buy direct. I just assumed they ALL cost $1000-1500.
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

I was able to try one on a passaround. Very nice knife, very well built but too bulky for me.

I ended up going with a Sebenza instead.
BSBG

Post by BSBG »

46Alpha wrote:Ya know, I had dismissed Hinderer knives due to price (mostly looking on fleabay). But then I'm hearing how overpriced the secondary market is. Leads me to wonder, how much DOES a Hinderer cost? I'm LE, so I know I can buy direct. I just assumed they ALL cost $1000-1500.
Production xm18 is $385, 24 is $550. Customs are more, $550 to $800 depending on options.
I have too many expensive hobbies to even consider another one.
Macaulay

Post by Macaulay »

385? If only I could actually get one at that price...

I really hope people aren't sitting there flipping his knives on the secondhand :/
"████ ██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love █████ ██████ ███ your █████ ████ government."
Bapple

Post by Bapple »

Unfortunately, that is exactly what a lot of the people do. I have been to several of the Hinderer lotteries, and these people are like vultures. They bring whole posse's with them to have multiple chances at winning. It is quite disgusting, especially for someone who would actually want/keep/use one of his knives. Some of the dealers are also there waiting to pounce on winners to try and buy the knife they just won, so that they can post the knife for double or more than the suggested price. Quite sad and unfortunate.