What lighter you carry?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
enduraguy

What lighter you carry?

Post by enduraguy »

I know, I don't smoke either. However, just like having a knife handy, you never know when you might need to have some fire. I "EDC" a "Blazer" CG-001 model. It's clear/green and has been doing great for about 8 years now. I actually used it once several winters ago to thaw the door lock on my '90 Nissan Sentra :D I thought it had quit working recently. Actually, it just would not stay lit. I looked up the issue online and come to find out, the main cause of this problem is air in the butane 'tank'. I drained it completely, re-filled it and it works perfectly again.

Anyone else, smoker or not carry a lighter? It's funny how often you get asked to borrow one when you have one. Single guys take notes :D A blue flame is much more exciting and eye catching than a boring, yellow, wavy flame.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

None, since I quit smoking last year March......
Tom
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

toomzz wrote:None, since I quit smoking last year March......
I don't cut much lately, I'm going to stop carrying a knife ;)
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

MiniBic FTW!
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'm also a non smoker, but always carry a cheap disposable with me. I don't use it much and replace it every three months or so, whether I need to or not.

I do agree that it's handy to be able to make fire on command.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Lets talk real lighters for real smokers...lol That's my EDC Zippo picture when in need of special security see following pics....Doc :D

"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

LOL :) Not only smoking is deadly, but so are these lighters.
GotDogs

Post by GotDogs »

Dr.Snubnose ....... You are Da man !!!! You cease to amaze me / us !!!!

John :spyder: :spyder:
I may look calm, but in my head I've killed you 3 times.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I carry a bic or a colibri contender with me at all times. Fire and knives make us better than monkeys.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been wanting to get a really nice storm proof lighter, something small that i could carry in case i needed a flame, but i haven't bothered with it yet. I don't smoke but i could see myself needing a flame if i had to cut some paracord or something and needed to melt the ends. I'm open to suggestions...nothing real fancy, just storm proof and reliable.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Evil D wrote:I've been wanting to get a really nice storm proof lighter, something small that i could carry in case i needed a flame, but i haven't bothered with it yet. I don't smoke but i could see myself needing a flame if i had to cut some paracord or something and needed to melt the ends. I'm open to suggestions...nothing real fancy, just storm proof and reliable.
ZIPPO...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:ZIPPO...Doc :D
I actually have several...i used to carry them quite often. The issue with Zippos is, if you don't use/refill them often they'll dry out. I've had it happen a bunch of times...i go to use it and there's nothing but sparks even though i know i filled it a while back and i haven't used it. I prefer butane torch style lighters...they don't blow out in the wind and they don't dry out, plus they don't run out of flint.

Besides, every Zippo i get eventually gets a loose lid because i can't resist doing that little trick where you snap your fingers to open it lol.
~David
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

Zippo blu?

Or maybe something like the silva helios storm lighter?
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

All black Windmill Delta, my brother got it for me 2 years ago for Christmas, been carrying it daily since then without a single problem. Like most butane lighters if you hold the flame on a long time the metal will get hot.

If I lost it I would buy another without question.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Windmill Delta is one that i had in mind, but i would love something smaller if possible...i don't know if it gets much smaller though.
~David
Knifestyle

Post by Knifestyle »

Through a random act of kindness, a bigger name in knife defense circles sent me an old Zippo casing because I mentioned on a forum I was planning on buying one. It's a replica of the WW2 issue model with the slashed corners, only type with a flat top. Completed it with a Thunderbyrd insert, a hard-to-find butane insert that has a standard flame instead of a torch. I carry it in a custom-made leather belt pouch a friend of mine sent me for my 21st birthday.

Ironically, I don't smoke. I'm just fond of the memories these things give me.
Donut

Post by Donut »

You could do a peanut lighter.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

zippo, zippo and more zippos....lol just something about them that I love. Although I hate how they dry out quick. but zippos, so fun to play with and work great!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
kens73

Post by kens73 »

Blazer PB207 <------ This lighter rocks
Lost count ... :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Super Blue Lover
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

zippos a plentiful, one to match each knife. Today it was one of the Playboy collection white Zippos with the white dragonfly. pretty anal huh.....

That peanut lighter recommended above would be a good one to throw on a keychain and forget about it.