Not what it used to be

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bluntrauma

Not what it used to be

Post by Bluntrauma »

Don't get me wrong, I still watch and purchase on Ebay but I am noticing a bigger and bigger trend of BIN and less and less real auctions. Just now I did a search and it pulled up 4024 listings. Then I clicked auctions only and it dropped to 618. But, 75% of those are from the same seller and his starting bid is very close to retail (not MSRP)

Ebay used to be the place to get a good deal, not so much anymore. More and more fake knives, buy it now and no big value. Will still pop in and make purchases as I see fit but sure do miss the good old Ebay.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I completely agree. It has become a world-wide-web flee market from a bad part of town. I think good deals can still be found, but they are definitely the exception rather than the rule now. :mad:
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Yeah they really are. Just went through everything in the auction listings and did not find much that blew my hair back. Did notice that some folks are really proud of knives that aren't that collectable. Anymore it's just as easy to go to a reputable dealer and pay there. Just checked to see when I bought a Spyderco last on Ebay and it was November 2010. Oh well, still see good deals now and again.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I have been feeling and saying that for some time now. Ebay has become a store, not an auction site. And I can't say I blame people, it costs quite a bit of money to post now, so might as well get guaranteed returns on your sale. But I do miss actual bidding and getting good deals on things.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I get the business aspect of it as well and understand that sellers on there must deal with all kinds of problems but it sure would be nice to see a bigger diversity of listings. The last few purchases I have made there have mostly been accessories for my android and some micarta handles for my Beckers. You really can't beat a car charger for 3 bucks over the 25 they want for them at the Sprint store but the knives have really taken a new direction. Oh well.

liveit_loud on Ebay.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Do agree there are much more listings, and much fewer real auctions than there use to be. Am sure the changes in eBay rules and price structure are at least partly to blame. Not just in knives either, have seen the same trend in other things I occasionally look for.

With the used stuff, may also be that sellers have gotten more savvy and have a better idea of what things are worth. With new knives, I'd imagine sellers either got tired of consistently losing money and wised up, or went broke and dropped out of eBay.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I find Ebay facinating. Watching people bid on a no reserve item and end up paying $30.00+ more than a buy it now from a different seller at the exact same time is curious. For some I think it's like gambaling. Winning a bid becomes emotional and logic seems to go out the window for some. I think people like the no reserve auction format, it's almost a game. But as one who ocasionally sells on ebay, I don't like to take the risk.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Bluntrauma wrote:Don't get me wrong, I still watch and purchase on Ebay but I am noticing a bigger and bigger trend of BIN and less and less real auctions.
I agree with your observation and beleive that this started at least couple yours ago. In the past I used buy a lot of knives on e-bay, many times at great bargain. In some cases if I do not like them I would sell right away on the same e-bay. Now expense of selling on ebay more then doubled, which scared many sellers away. And in the last couple years I bought very few knives there. Still sometimes you can find good deals. Like during a week after black Friday:$30 sharpmaker or $125 Leafstorm.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I've noticed the same trend. My favorite tactic is the one used by those sellers who want to make their listings appear less costly with a lower BIN price, but who charge more than double what it actually costs to ship the item. For example, there are currently two very small Spyderco knives being sold with shipping costs of $7-$10. As an occasional seller this really annoys me. But, then, I've also lost money on sales by not charging enough for shipping larger/heavier items. I guess it all works out in the end...
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

Man, has it changed over there.

I don't know for sure, but ebay must be giving super deals to list an item as "buy it now".
I know they sent me an good offer last year on listing "buy it now" items, and they must have kept the offer for all.

It was once an good auction site, but is now more like a store with most all knives being sold as "buy it now". Most all are priced at a higher price than online stores.

I never even look there anymore.
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

It has definitely changed. I'd say 90% of all Spyderco listings are fixed price. And about 75% of those fixed price listings are ridiculously priced.

It's annoying. When it is a true auction, a better price is typically ensured. Plus, you get the thrill of bidding, something which is almost lost on that site nowadays.
ValueKnifeLover

Post by ValueKnifeLover »

As stated by someone earlier: it has become more of a store than an auction site. Occasional deals pop up. As someone who sells knives on there semi- frequently (always as an auction with reasonable starting bids and expectations... sometimes NR from 99 cents) the prices for listing items may be a little higher than they used to be... but eBay runs specials ALL the time for free listings. For example I just listed 2 knives today and paid a whopping 10 cents to put them up. So listing fees are not justifiable for those high prices. Also auction final value fees and other little fees are much less than a buy it now item listing. I have always made more money when I list it as an auction VS BIN. Just my mileage.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It has literally been 10 years since i bought anything off ebay. Like you said, it has become more hassle than it's worth IMO.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Well with the rates considered, lets say A knife sells for 250.

A fixed auction would take 11% on the first $50, and 6% on the remaining amount so $17.50
A traditional auction would take 9% $22.50

Not much but I think that traditional auctions generally go for more, but sellers are more comfortable with fixed pricing with a benefit of lower fees.