Overwhelmed... Help?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
zunedog31

Overwhelmed... Help?

Post by zunedog31 »

Hi guys

I can't help but think I am a bother over here with all my noob questions but I am having trouble deciding on the best knife to get.

So for christmas I got a gift card to REI ($50) and three gift cards to pet shops (fish are one of my biggest hobbies) I looked on REI's website and they have plenty of knives at full retail prices. They do not have many options such as color or blade grind, serrations/no serrations etc. So I am going to trade in one of my Petco cards ($25) and the REI card into a website and take a loss. The total will be $58.28 amazon money OR $55.50 paypal money (I do not have a paypal account or a bank account (I am 17 and I think the age is 18 for paypal and they make you have a bank account to start an account, not sure on this). Now, the reason I am doing this is because amazon has a much larger selection of knives, including what I really want, a Spyderco and their prices are lower then on REI. Another option (nothing is finalized yet) is to start that paypal account and take the $55 and go to another outlet like cutleryshop.
to add to the funds I have a total of 4 (yes 4) credit cards. One is a regular debit card from my parents and it has $20 for me on it (I sharpened their kitchen knives with my new Sharpmaker :D ) Then I have 2x $25 prepaid amex cards and a $50 amex card prepaid.
I am hoping to leave all the prepaid cards out of this current buy so I can work with about $75 now and have $100 later for another knife. But the money is there if I need it.
If I go the amazon route I will have a total of $78.28 to find a knife. $75.50 if I go paypal and I can shop anywhere paypal is accepted. But I am open to expanding that to as much as 140~ for the right knife. At the end of the day I want two Spydercos if possible. Not sure if sites like cutleryshop give much more value over amazon but if I decide to preorder something like the Dodo or the Para in blue or orange G10 I will need to.

What I am looking for
I am looking for a blade in the upper end of my price range. I only have a Manix2 right now and I love it but it is a bit big. On amazon at least you can get a:

Dragonfly G10 ($76) *Looks really cool but a bit small
Sage 2 CF ($81 used $89 new)
Sage 3 Blue G10 ($121)*good looking knife
Caly 3 CF ($116) *good looking knife, not a huge fan of the CF
Para2 Black G10 *Looks big. If I get a para I want the sprint run blue, maybe orange
Dragonfly 2 Lightweight ($49) *Does not look nearly as good as the G10 mentioned above
Stretch lightweight ($80)
Delica4 FFG ($57) *Gotta get one eventually...

These are the ones I could find but there are more out there. Did not list the Endura because I got to pick one up in a store a couple days ago and it was too big. Feel free to list any others I have overlooked.

Sorry for the long post I am just really excited to be getting a new Spyderco
Please help in any you can!

Thanks a ton!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Dragonfly is small. Paramilitary is the largest and bulkiest of the ones you listed, just .2" shorter closed than the Endura. Not a fan of it myself, but many here are.

Stretch is the next largest, but considerably more compact. It's an excellent knife, and my personal favorite Spyderco model. Here's a shot of it with an Endura (third knife is a Military)...

Caly 3, Delica 4, Sage 1, and Sage 3 are all about the same size. Caly 3 is the thinnest and lightest, Sage 1 has the more attractive CF. Sage 3 is blue, if you like blue. Delica offers you a choice of colors.

If you want something a bit more compact, but larger and more versatile than the D'fly, consider the Chaparral.

Truth is, they're all good knives, really comes down to what you like/want.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rg02

Post by rg02 »

my 2 cents----------pick up a Delica FFG and Dragonfly 2 FRN. Since you already have a Manix 2, you have a heavy duty folder. The Delica is perfect for EDC and you can also carry the Dragonfly 2 for smaller cutting tasks. That would help round out your Spydie collection and would be a good start!
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

Thanks that's really helpful!

And Deacon is the last picture of a Military or Paramilitary. From what I understand the Para is smaller.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

zunedog31 wrote:Thanks that's really helpful!

And Deacon is the last picture of a Military or Paramilitary. From what I understand the Para is smaller.
that is a Milli. Para Mill 2 is about the same size as an endura (lengthwise)
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

If a Manix is too big, I think a delica might fit the bill a bit better. Then, that's $57 right? Actually, they're $53 at cutlery shoppe. Then, you can get an Ambitious, or ladybug with the remaining money, and that will put you right around $75. Unfortunately, shipping will probably push you over your budget, but then you get a nice variety of blades.

Also, I'd like to confuse you further, and add the endura to the list. :D It's the same as delica almost, but at around 4" blade. And I'm one of those rare people who actually don't like the paramilitary two. I find the Endura takes to the hand a lot better, and the para's scales, especially on the spine end, are too blocky, and they meet at almost right angles. Makes it uncomfortable for me to hold, where as the Endura's scales have some sort of rounding and flow around the edges. And S30V is a pain to sharpen for me. :( But I'm not that good at it anyways. :p
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

rg02 wrote:my 2 cents----------pick up a Delica FFG and Dragonfly 2 FRN. Since you already have a Manix 2, you have a heavy duty folder. The Delica is perfect for EDC and you can also carry the Dragonfly 2 for smaller cutting tasks. That would help round out your Spydie collection and would be a good start!
I'm with him ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

You'll be hard pressed to find many people who don't like the Delica. It was one of my firsts, and is actually still in my pocket at this moment.

Then I went ZDP...

Then I achieved my favorite Delica, G10;

Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I thought about this for a minute.

When I want the best bang for my buck I usually buy used knives of Fleabay.
99% of my knives are destined to be users anyway, so I figure a little wear won't hurt, plus it REALLY helps with the price.

I'd say snoop around Ebay for a few days, there are deals to be found there, but one must be vigilant, and have lots of free time. :D
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

I'm Delica shopping! I think I will go amazon. What are your favorite colors guys? I am looking at orange, but blue looks good too.

EDIT: are there still G10 delicas around? Did they become expensive or hard to find because they are not on amazon.

One more edit: Cutleryshoppe is overstocked on the Ambitious so they are $22. I think I am going to get one of those.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I hate to disappoint you but double check if cutleryshoppe accept paypal before you proceed. I made a purchase today and saw note that they do not accept, just give them a call.
Regarding Para2: orange is much less expensive than blue. Both have very good steel, just different dealers.
Piece of advise: do not spend money on many cheap knives. After a little while you will sell or give them away (at least, this is what happened with me). Better buy one or two really good knives.
Good luck.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

zunedog31 wrote:I'm Delica shopping! I think I will go amazon. What are your favorite colors guys? I am looking at orange, but blue looks good too.

EDIT: are there still G10 delicas around? Did they become expensive or hard to find because they are not on amazon.

One more edit: Cutleryshoppe is overstocked on the Ambitious so they are $22. I think I am going to get one of those.
There are still G10 Delicas around, finding them is the problem. They aren't made anymore, so you pay a premium. I was lucky enough to get mine on Ebay for $68, but it was a little beat up. I cleaned it up, and now it works great for me.

I love the blue FRN, I have no experience with the orange, but would love to try it. :D
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

I saw this when googling. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... Delica-G10

Should I pursue this?
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I wouldn't say that's a super high price...

If it's in the condition he says it is it's a fair deal, but this sort of thing is really all about what you're willing to pay.

Some other guys here could better tell you if the price is legitimate.

I had actually come back to this thread to flaunt my wares;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8huI-mLqZHI

A little look at the FFG Delica 4, to give you some more confusion. There's also a video about the Sage 1 on my channel.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Delica is a must have knife. Followed by the endura
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

I hit the wrong button on the site where I am turning in my gift cards and I had to call and cancel it (this takes 24 hours) dang!

I will keep you guys posted and see what other options I have until them. I am actually going to pick up a Boker Nopal. Looks like a cool little knife so I will order that tonight.
mkd

Post by mkd »

take a look at the benchmade mini griptilian model 556.it has the axis lock and one of the sweetest knives you'll ever operate.also the 707 sequel! they are one hand open and close knives with a strong lockup and are real quality knives.i have several spidies and benchmades and there are some of the best.
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

Forgot to say Rwb that video was really good and pushed me over the edge to committing to the Delica. I subbed, sweet videos :D
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Delica is a must have(lost mine :( )

I own an ambitious and it is a smaller knife (bigger than a dragonfly) but packs a big punch. It also has g10 scales. Go with a ffg delica and an ambitious.
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
BAL

Post by BAL »

rg02 wrote:my 2 cents----------pick up a Delica FFG and Dragonfly 2 FRN. Since you already have a Manix 2, you have a heavy duty folder. The Delica is perfect for EDC and you can also carry the Dragonfly 2 for smaller cutting tasks. That would help round out your Spydie collection and would be a good start!
rg02 is spot-on with his advice. The question is never what knife should I get, but rather what knife should I get FIRST. Take care man
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

TIS. Take It Slow. Enjoy each and every knife.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin