Does anyone here ride motorcycles?!?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Does anyone here ride motorcycles?!?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Rebel 1100 looks nice. It has the same motor as the Africa Twin so it won’t be too exhilarating but plenty fun. I love my AT but I have a need for speed and thrilling on the pavement it is not. It has seen 130mph on dual sport tires so it goes plenty fast but from 90 mph on up the acceleration is kind slow. Pretty easy to get the adrenaline pumping on the dirt roads around here though. :D

If I was gonna get a Honda for just pavement I would get the CB1000R over the Rebel 1100. A screaming inline 4 would be more fun for me than a parallel twin with the personality of a washing machine. I am guessing that the Rebel has an option for an automatic so that may matter to some, it doesn’t for me. I have no interest in an auto but I think it is a smart move on Honda’s part to offer them.

I was actually gonna buy the CB1000R and changed my mind at the last minute and bought the Africa Twin instead. No regrets, it makes more sense where I live, I just wish it had more get up and go.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:12 pm
The Rebel 1100 looks nice. It has the same motor as the Africa Twin so it won’t be too exhilarating but plenty fun. I love my AT but I have a need for speed and thrilling on the pavement it is not. It has seen 130mph on dual sport tires so it goes plenty fast but from 90 mph on up the acceleration is kind slow. Pretty easy to get the adrenaline pumping on the dirt roads around here though. :D

If I was gonna get a Honda for just pavement I would get the CB1000R over the Rebel 1100. A screaming inline 4 would be more fun for me than a parallel twin with the personality of a washing machine. I am guessing that the Rebel has an option for an automatic so that may matter to some, it doesn’t for me. I have no interest in an auto but I think it is a smart move on Honda’s part to offer them.

I was actually gonna buy the CB1000R and changed my mind at the last minute and bought the Africa Twin instead. No regrets, it makes more sense where I live, I just wish it had more get up and go.
That was my take on the AT when I test rode it. A great bike but we don’t have many umetalled roads and I usually only tour for a week a year. The grunt of my BMW 1200 is addictive and works well on our congested, windy roads. Plus, it’s purely for fun.
cubsfan1969

Post by cubsfan1969 »

2002 Ducati ST2, current ride.

Last Harley I owned, 2010 Fat Boy:
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I've owned two motorcycles, and probably will not end up owning a third.

Around 1980 I owned a Kawasaki GPZ-550: all stainless lines throughout; Ferodo race pads; punched out with champion moriwaki 600cc w 13:1 high silicon pistons; Fox racing shocks on the rear; 1000cc front and rear tires; race brace, front fender removed; equi-fill fork kit; champion moriwaki race fork springs; champion moriwaki race cam; port flowed, port matched; champion moriwaki race valves and springs, 1 size over on the intake, both silicon filled; seat was cut down to a cafe race style; swing arm had the guard bracket cut off; the underseat area was aluminum; extra clutch plate; race chain; race coils; ported carbs; K&N air filter; osram race headlamp; Kerker race exhaust. That Kaw turned 117MPH at 13.05 at Broadway Bobs Dragway with me at 190lbs on it. Mortorcycle Magazine did an article with PeeWee Gleason drag racing it and he ran in the 12.80's.

Then in 2001 I bought a new Suzuki GSX-R750 and put 25,000 miles on it riding it across the US from Illinois to Silicon Valley and in street racing.

Kaw GPZ 550
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how- ... n-america/

On the Passing of PeeWee
https://ridermagazine.com/2017/02/14/r- ... e-gleason/
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I swear, I never had the Suzuki GSX-R750 over 35MPH!

:eek:
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

In 1969 I had a Yamaha 175 Enduro.
In the 1980s a Yamaha XT500 and a Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special.
Finished with a BMW F650GS, a Yamaha TW200 and a Moto Guzzi California.
Probably racked up about 100,000 miles all together
but my main ride was a 1998 Yamaha V-Max that I rode
67,000 miles in six years commuting to work in Houston,
V-Max club rides and on trips to the Atlantic, the Pacific,
the Canadian border and the Mexican border.

Mount Evans was a high point, Daytona Bike Week was a hoot,
but my favorite trip was my last: California or Bust

Take it easy and enjoy the ride.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Thu May 19, 2022 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Loki.88

Post by Loki.88 »

ImageDaily commute. Kawasaki Versys 650.
About 20k per year. Km that is.
max808

Post by max808 »

Last bike was a Ducati 748, bonestock except for the thermignoni mufflers, just 100hp but a blast to ride.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
bearfacedkiller

I kind of ride a lot. If it isn’t raining or snowing and the temp is above 35 degrees F then I am on a bike. Unfortunately that is less than half the year. I still manage 5,000-6,000 miles a year.

The AT is now at 4,400 miles and ready for a new pair of shoes.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

In descending order I've had a 650 Suzuki Vstrom, honda valkyrie, honda xl500, yamaha xs11 special, honda xl250, kawasaki h1, suzuki 125 enduro, yamaha 125 mx, and.... a sears 105.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I ride motorcycles too but I"m just drooling over your bikes. I've ridden since I was in school. Over 30 years now and I still get that feeling of freedom when I sling my leg over my bike. Even more these days.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

I have a Buell XB that I have owned from new. It’s the STT model with slightly longer travel suspension.
It’s my favourite motorcycle of all the ones I’ve owned over the last 40 yrs.
A reasonably torquey motor in a flickable frame.
It makes me seek out the ‘twistiest’ roads. Just so much fun to ride.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I have a 2018 Yamaha TW200, and I have a 2019 HD Fat Bob. I had a 2019 HD XL1200NS, but I wrecked and totaled it less than two weeks after I bought it.
--Jeremy
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Ngati Pom wrote: I have a Buell XB that I have owned from new. It’s the STT model with slightly longer travel suspension.
Dude... I have an xb12stt with standard plastics and front fender.
I love it so long as you are moving. As in not stopped in traffic.

However there is a superhawk for sale locally that I might just have to go get.

I have been wanting a different bike for a while and when that happens I will probably part with the buell.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bearfacedkiller

-Darby
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:49 am
Ngati Pom wrote: I have a Buell XB that I have owned from new. It’s the STT model with slightly longer travel suspension.
Dude... I have an xb12stt with standard plastics and front fender.
I love it so long as you are moving. As in not stopped in traffic.

However there is a superhawk for sale locally that I might just have to go get.

I have been wanting a different bike for a while and when that happens I will probably part with the buell.
VooDoo, mine is mostly stock too including the ‘race’ plates.
Agreed they aren’t fun sitting in traffic especially when the fan kicks in. :)
The Superhawk is a cool bike too.
There’s something about a v-twin that is hard to beat.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love twins. But one thing I like even more is triples. They have a lot of torque and horsepower and still have that throaty growl of a twin. My first bike was a triple. It was a superb machine and dead reliable.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Parallel twins have peaked my interest. The Africa Twin has a 270 degree crank so it sounds and behaves like a v-twin but fits into a much smaller package. Yamaha’s parallel twin is the same way.
-Darby
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:20 am
Parallel twins have peaked my interest. The Africa Twin has a 270 degree crank so it sounds and behaves like a v-twin but fits into a much smaller package. Yamaha’s parallel twin is the same way.
Twins are very reliable. Parallel twins much more so. They can be off tuned to get that V-twin rumble and lope, but to tell the truth, they are great just the way they are. The parallel twins from Honda are smooth running and you can count on them. My last motorcycle was a Honda with parallel twin. I loved it. The power band was flat...constant power, no sudden surge and then loss.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

All configurations have their merits. My 1200 boxer is ace! :D I spent the afternoon blatting around Sussex with a mate, trying out Bluetooth headsets for a mini trip in a couple of weeks to see the Sutton Hoo Saxon galley site and onto a grasstrack racing and rock festival.