Does anyone here ride motorcycles?!?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Re: Does anyone here ride motorcycles?!?

Post by ChrisinHove »

Well, that’s my 2023 trip planned.

Ferry booked to northern Spain, Bilbao for the Guggenheim museum, then along the rugged Basque coast to Gernika (as painted by Picasso in sorrier times), San Sebastián (foodie heaven, apparently), Biarritz in southern France (the art deco seaside resort), then back along the coast to Santander, via Bilbao again, and the return crossing.

This year SWMBO is coming, so it’s got to be the Vespa, short riding days and hotels rather than the usual Beemer & camping odyssey.

I can’t wait!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

My dad would tell me about his riding experiences in effort to dissuade me from wanting to try. He once owned a 2 stroke YZ400 in the late 70s that he rode on the street. That was until he t-boned a car that ran a red light and broke both wrists before flying over said car. He would always say no matter how good of a rider/driver you are you can't control all the stupid people around you. He was in the Air Force at the time and all his buddies rode too so when it was time for him to go home the only ride he could get was on another bike lol. He said his bike was the slowest in the group and the guy that picked him up had a Kawasaki Kz1000. So I always picture him with both wrists wrapped up trying to hold on for dear life while his buddy rides wheelies. I'm sure that part didn't happen but it makes me smile.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Yep, I've been riding since I was a senior in High School, 46 years.
My current ride a 2009 Harley Davidson FLHTCU twin cam.
I had a 106" big bore kit installed a couple of years ago.
I have not been riding much lately because of cataracts but that's changed in January.
I will be riding more this year.😎
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

mongo1958 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:18 pm
I have not been riding much lately because of cataracts but that's changed in January.
Added a pic of my Harley
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

mongo1958 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:57 am
mongo1958 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:18 pm
Added a pic of my Harley
Nice! Congrats on beating the cataracts!
R100

Post by R100 »

Motorcycles have been my primary transport for the last 40 years and I still enjoy riding as much as I ever did. In fact I just had a rare lull at work and took a couple of days off for a ride. It was as awesome as ever!

I've got a few bikes but this one is a 2003 Tiger with really good aftermarket suspension. It's a blast.

Dan
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

R100 wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:53 am
Motorcycles have been my primary transport for the last 40 years and I still enjoy riding as much as I ever did. In fact I just had a rare lull at work and took a couple of days off for a ride. It was as awesome as ever!

I've got a few bikes but this one is a 2003 Tiger with really good aftermarket suspension. It's a blast.

Dan
Great motorcycle, I had an opportunity to ride a friend’s that had the black color scheme and hard factory bags . If you ever come stateside check of the Barbour Museum and races at the track . Museum has has motorcycle and cars, actually has the largest collection of Lotus outside of UK . Their web site is a fun read and pics. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

The Barber Museum should be a bucket list item
for every motorcycle enthusiast.
Just off I-20 near Birmingham, Alabama.
Plan on spending at least a couple of hours.
Enormous collection artfully arranged and displayed.
Even my wife enjoyed it.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:16 am
The Barber Museum should be a bucket list item
for every motorcycle enthusiast.
Just off I-20 near Birmingham, Alabama.
Plan on spending at least a couple of hours.
Enormous collection artfully arranged and displayed.
Even my wife enjoyed it.
I have two friends who volunteered at the vintage races at Barber . The pictures they brought back of the bikes even outside that were rode in was astounding . I live near two dirt tracks the Peoria TT and the Springfield Mile . Both are classic races that are a lot of fun . Highly recommend the races at Road America in Wisconsin if you like road racing . It’s one of the oldest tracks in the US of this type . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageA good friend sent this picture of a friend of ours posing on a friend’s he knows, 1950 Vincent Black Shadow . I have only seen one once at Road America years ago , must have been 50 people taking pictures of it . Beautiful bike . Those BMW bikes are his also has a Triumph Bonneville and a Road King . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

2023 Z06 ~$120k
0-60: ~2.6 about as fast a a Superbike
Handling: ~1.22g

My favorite! Superbikes all under $30k:

Honda
https://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/149830 ... -may-2/98?

Yamaha
https://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/117275 ... ober-1/88?

Ducati
Bayliss Edition
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/stor ... tion-2022/

Panigale
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/stor ... nigale-v4/
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’ve just come across this thread for the first time and there is such a variety of bikes, really fun to read and look at the pics.

At the moment I ride an R1200GSA - the last year of the air and oil cooled model, which is way more fun than I expected. I’ve had Hondas, Yamahas, KTM’s, Kawasakis and Triumphs but so far the BMW is my favourite for daily riding - it’s a lady in the boardroom and a lunatic in the bedroom. Now the borders are back open and the COVID mania here in Asia has died down I’m keen for my next trip to head up to Ipoh to put some new sport climbing routes up, although the Sepang MotoGP might come around first.

To any of you guys in the States - did any of you get to the MotoGP this year at COTA? That’s on my to do list in the next couple of years - what a great venue, plus TX is a great State to visit (my Dad lived there for 4 years and it was such a friendly place, completely overturning my Euro-centric media fuelled idea of what the USA was like in the best possible way).

(Pic is from a trip riding a DR600 through Terelj region in Mongolia 🇲🇳 from back when I lived there a while)
Attachments
IMG_0092.jpeg
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:52 pm

To any of you guys in the States - did any of you get to the MotoGP this year at COTA? That’s on my to do list in the next couple of years - what a great venue, plus TX is a great State to visit (my Dad lived there for 4 years and it was such a friendly place, completely overturning my Euro-centric media fuelled idea of what the USA was like in the best possible way).
I live in Illinois, USA. I did not make it to the MotoGP race in Texas this year, and I have never been to a MotoGP race. I follow MotoGP, World Superbike, a few teams and riders on Twitter.

I've been to open track days and the drag races to race my bikes.

My Past Motorcycles:
- 1980, Full F1 Champion Mariwauki Kawasaki GPZ 600
- 2001, Suzuki GSX-R750
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

On Directv, 214 MAVTVHD is showing Hitting the Apex
An exploration of the battle for supremacy between
six MotoGP riders, produced in 2015 and narrated by Brad Pitt.
An excellent two and half hour documentary.
Thu, May 4, 1:00a and 4:00a.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Naperville wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:12 pm
JoviAl wrote:

I live in Illinois, USA. I did not make it to the MotoGP race in Texas this year, and I have never been to a MotoGP race. I follow MotoGP, World Superbike, a few teams and riders on Twitter.

My Past Motorcycles:
- 2001, Suzuki GSX-R750
Check out Road America in Wisconsin . Motorcycle and All types of car racing . 4 1/2 mile road track and one of the oldest of its type in the country .
Henry David Thoreau
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Mad Mac wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:09 pm
On Directv, 214 MAVTVHD is showing Hitting the Apex
An exploration of the battle for supremacy between
six MotoGP riders, produced in 2015 and narrated by Brad Pitt.
An excellent two and half hour documentary.
Thu, May 4, 1:00a and 4:00a.
I'll try and catch that, thanks!

I set it up to record. I may be up and I may not. If I'm up I'll watch it.
Last edited by Naperville on Wed May 03, 2023 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:15 pm
Naperville wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:12 pm
JoviAl wrote:

My Past Motorcycles:
- 2001, Suzuki GSX-R750
Check out Road America in Wisconsin . Motorcycle and All types of car racing . 4 1/2 mile road track and one of the oldest of its type in the country .
I have been there several times, and old Broadway Bob's in Union Grove. Went to a small dirt oval track in Western Springs, Illinois with my brother.

Have been to Indy 500 maybe 10 times, not lately...last time I was there I was hit by a nut driving too fast and they totaled the rental I was driving.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 5:46 pm
ImageA good friend sent this picture of a friend of ours posing on a friend’s he knows, 1950 Vincent Black Shadow . I have only seen one once at Road America years ago , must have been 50 people taking pictures of it . Beautiful bike . Those BMW bikes are his also has a Triumph Bonneville and a Road King . Dan
That’s gorgeous! Very occasionally I see one on the road here.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 11:35 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 5:46 pm
That’s gorgeous! Very occasionally I see one on the road here.
Actually I posted it for you ! Glad you liked it . Dan
Henry David Thoreau