Can someone explain the price of Al Mar knives to me?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tr4022

Can someone explain the price of Al Mar knives to me?

Post by tr4022 »

I mean, they use AUS 8A steel, which as I understand is a pretty good steel but nothing special these days, yet they're fairly expensive knives. What gives? Is it the name? Are they that well-constructed? Do they have some super secret heat treatment that transforms their AUS 8A steel into some kind of super steel?

Just sayin'....... :confused:

Tod
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Are you saying, for example, that you feel an AUS-8 bolster and scales midlock made in Japan isn't worth a street price of approximately $110. If so, while you're entitled to your opinion, but I'd be inclined to disagree. It's a good bit less expensive, for example, than the real Spyderco Kiwis in VG-10 were.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Don't look at the price of Randal knives then. They can run around 800 and are 440. Honestly I don't know much about Al Mar Knives and have never even held one but I would suspect that materials, fit and finish and origin would come into play.

I have spoken to several people who own them and they go on and on about how well they are made.I'm sure someone here will know something about them.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I agree, they do seem pricey, but they are well made. For me, there has always seemed to be a bit of an allure with Al-Mar, , ,maybe an exotic flare to them; although I've never been able to physically see what makes them so special. The Randal comparison is a very appropriate one in illustrating that some brands just have a moniker unofficially associated with them that puts them higher on the price scale. I have a couple Randals, but never use them for sake of hurting resale value. WTF? This is sad and goes against my belief that knifes should be used because they are good working knives. But there they set.

One thing I've come to realize is there is just so good a knife can be made. If I spec'd a folder made of 'X' materials, and 'Y' design to three different (and highly reputable) companies, they would come back with three different prices, , ,maybe dramatically different in some cases, but I would be willing to bet the fit and finish on all of them would be very similar.

So, in the end, while I've had a number of folders from Al-Mar, Chris Reeves, etc, etc, I find that (at times) the big difference isn't quality, it's more on company reputation.
Owl45

Post by Owl45 »

As others noted, its pretty much about quality and design.
Excellent f&f, made with quality materials.
Haven't had or handled any since we lost Mr. Mar, but I understand nothing has substantial changed.

If you are not familiar with Al Mar the man, its worth googling for and reading. He was a truly interesting person and an artist in many areas.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Thanks for the replies.

Tod
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

The Deacon wrote:Are you saying, for example, that you feel an AUS-8 bolster and scales midlock made in Japan isn't worth a street price of approximately $110. If so, while you're entitled to your opinion, but I'd be inclined to disagree. It's a good bit less expensive, for example, than the real Spyderco Kiwis in VG-10 were.
I dunno. I'm too much of a noob to really have an opinion. I just looked at them, and while I kinda dig the look, I was a little taken aback at the cost. To my inexpert eye, there was nothing obvious about them that warranted the price. Maybe I've become jaded by the obvious quality of Spydies? Thanks for your input.

Tod
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Owl45 wrote:
If you are not familiar with Al Mar the man, its worth googling for and reading. He was a truly interesting person and an artist in many areas.
Okay, well that answers my question. You're right, a fascinating guy.

Tod
Slash

Post by Slash »

Al Mar are up their with crk and others when in comes to f/f.
Are they worth it? Buy one and see for yourself. If you don't think so, you could always resell it.
But, I'm guessing that won't happen.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I have 5 Al Mar's total. Three folders and two fixed blades. Only one is really a "high end", it's a tiny folder with a scrimshawed ivory handle slabs. When open you cannot tell where the lockbar and blade meet. I also have a Zytel handled folder, ATS-34 blade, that is the same way.

Looks like the "higher end" folders are VG-10.

I have really not had an interest in them since the days when the S.E.R.E folders had the micarta handles. The knives of old I always loved, the newer ones not so much. I'm sure they started to slip after Al passed away suddenly.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Sithus1966 wrote:I have 5 Al Mar's total. Three folders and two fixed blades. Only one is really a "high end", it's a tiny folder with a scrimshawed ivory handle slabs. When open you cannot tell where the lockbar and blade meet. I also have a Zytel handled folder, ATS-34 blade, that is the same way.

Looks like the "higher end" folders are VG-10.

I have really not had an interest in them since the days when the S.E.R.E folders had the micarta handles. The knives of old I always loved, the newer ones not so much. I'm sure they started to slip after Al passed away suddenly.
I'd agree, , , these designs were the highlight of the Al-Mar line. I still 'respect' them as a brand, but aesthetically I'm not digging the more recent designs. But that's just me.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I have had a few and all have been really great in fit and finish.
Just got the SERE 2000 in digi camo numbered 61 of 200 for Christmas.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

There's more to the price of a knife, than just the steel in the blade. As mentioned above, the f&f of Al Mar Knives are superb. Their moki made knives are folding art IMHO. I'm sad to see so few of the classic models being revamped since Al Mar's passing. Loved the Falcon re-issue, but I would llike to see more.

BTW Al Mar helped Spyderco get off the ground with the production of their first knife.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram