Where are all the old forum members?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jujigatame wrote:Part of it comes from not owning or seeking to own as many knives as before. I've settled on a small stable of Spyders that covers my usage requirements
I keep thinking/saying I'm there.... but I'm not...

Sigh....

Ken
玉鋼
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Thanks to all of the more senior members :) From you folks I have learned a great deal :)

Only a newb myself :o but hope to help pass on some of what I've been able to learn here.

Need to look into some older posts. They should provide some interesting perspective.

Still learning a little bit of something everyday :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Last checked into this thread on Christmas day 2011. I'm still here. Member #33.

-And today my new serrated stainless Police arrived! I haven't had one of these in a long time and I bought this one with a specific purpose in mind.

I don't always say a lot, but I am still glad to be here! :D
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

'sup, Tortuga??

Java checks in from time to time.

NASA keeps me busy testing and researchin' electro-chargy aero-spacey stuff. Fortunately Javascript works in the same branch I do and we can plot and talk Spydies when we need to. Might see how a Manix stands up to some 3-axis acceleration one of these days. I also keep regular contact with Samo and his wife, Michelle, and we are in the early planning stages to take a bicycle trip across the US in a couple-three years. (Of course we'll be packin' plenty o' Spydies)

java
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder:
*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

I mainly just lurk...
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

JD Spydo wrote:.

This global economic debacle we are all currently in has probably put many members into shelving or mothballing their hobby. I had to do that for a time back in 2010 myself and Thank GOD I overcame the problems and enjoy being back.
Can spending all your money really count as a hobby?
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Ooops :o

Sorry I haven't been around much lately.

Since having my 7th kid, the family, work and competitive pistol shooting has taken over. Compounding to that Australia's stupid knife importation laws has pretty much ruled out Spydies from coming into our brown land with any ease :mad:

This reminds me that I saw the Calendar comp is due very soon. I really should try to take a quick snapshot to see if I can get published again.

Hope to be around a bit more in the next few months and give some more of my silly points of view.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
bh49

Post by bh49 »

ozspyder wrote: Sorry I haven't been around much lately.
Since having my 7th kid, the family, work and competitive pistol shooting has taken over. Compounding to that Australia's stupid knife importation laws has pretty much ruled out Spydies from coming into our brown land with any ease :mad:
excuses, excuses..................
You live like a kind surrounded by your daughters. They are taking care of your sons and just relax :D
Daniel,
I am not surprised that you show up right after Sal mentioned possibility of Kopa Sprint :D
R
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Tony pointed me in the right direction back to Spydie heaven :)

Unfortunately what I write above is true. Not much time to indulge in my Spydie collecting nor photography of the ones I have. Will try to do a quick one to satisfy my own needs in the next week or two.

Hoping to spend more time here to get re-acquainted with news and the forumites. I really miss this bunch of nuts :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Donut

Post by Donut »

ozspyder wrote: Hoping to spend more time here to get re-acquainted with news and the forumites. I really miss this bunch of nuts :p
Hey now, who are you calling (do)nut? Image

Nice to see you around. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

I still visit, sometimes!

I have become quite immersed in photography; my internet time is larely spent trying to learn about that. I still have my Civilians, Guntings, Yojimbos, and Ronins, plus a few more, so I rarely think of buying knives these days. Familiar knives become comfortable, and comforting. My elderly father-in-law lived with us for the last several years of his life, which restricted my freedom to travel until just recently, so I have not been to knife shows in a while.

I will try to drop in more often.
Civilians, Dodo, Guntings, Mili, P'kal, Rescues, Ronins, Temperance, others...

Have Colt, will travel.
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

java wrote:'sup, Tortuga??

Java checks in from time to time.

NASA keeps me busy testing and researchin' electro-chargy aero-spacey stuff. Fortunately Javascript works in the same branch I do and we can plot and talk Spydies when we need to. Might see how a Manix stands up to some 3-axis acceleration one of these days. I also keep regular contact with Samo and his wife, Michelle, and we are in the early planning stages to take a bicycle trip across the US in a couple-three years. (Of course we'll be packin' plenty o' Spydies)

java

Hey, hey!!! Good to see one of the genuinely venerable members still around and well.

Rex G wrote:I still visit, sometimes!

... I still have my Civilians, Guntings, Yojimbos, and Ronins, plus a few more...

-Made me smile and think. Among the other Spyder-related things I still have is a "Gunting-scar."

Oh yeah. That one's a keeper.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

You can never have too many knives, lol! There are some great people here, I miss posting on this forum. I don't come here exclusively for the knives; it's the people I love!
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DCDesigns wrote:Can spending all your money really count as a hobby?
Well Brother it's not so much the spending of the money as it is exploring new products>> i.e. like checking out some of these newer blade steels, revisiting older models in new Sprint runs. However most any hobby is going to cost you something either in time or money or both. But this global recession we've all been in for the past 2 to 4 years has taken it's toll on many of us economically. I can tell you though that I've been doing a lot more trading of Spyders I've had for a while instead of buying a lot of new releases like I used to. And I've been looking for used Spyders and other premium knives in pawn shops, flea markets, garage sales and one's being discontinued at sporting goods store.>> yeah I won't deny that my hobby has changed in that respect but I'll probably never lose my love for it.

I sure hope the economic climate has been a lot better to some of you guys and gals than it has to myself in the past 4 years. But things are truly looking up on the horizon so my want list will continue to grow.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Do you mean people who were once here and no longer are or are you talking about me...just members that are Old.......????...Doc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
dialex

Post by dialex »

java wrote:... Java checks in from time to time...
Our Dark Coffee Lord is back! Jamaica Blue Mountaineers rejoice! ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

tortoise, I, too have a scar from a Gunting, though not from using the ramp to deliberately open the knife. One time, I clipped it into my right front pocket, rather than my usual method of using a kydex sheath. Then, I forgot the Gunting, and reached into the pocket to grab something, and snagged the ramp on my way out of the pocket. Luckily, it was just a small cut, but deep, on my thumb.

In my earlier post, I forgot to mention my Dodo, which I carry regularly at work. It would probably horrify some collectors that I regularly use my Dodo to cut things! Of course, I bought it to use, before anyone would know they would become collectible. The beak-y tip is very handy for cutting fingerprint tape!

Have Colt, will travel.
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

Dr. Snubnose, it is good to "see" you!

Have Colt, will travel.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

AY REX!!!! Right back at ya.......Doc! :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
ceya

Post by ceya »

We should have a Spyder symbol light (Batman but 16 million + CP) everybody could see it.

Hey Doc?

S/F,
CEYA!
"Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!