Where are all the old forum members?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ront

Post by ront »

This thread made me stop just to say hi. I have not been here for a LONG time, but every great once in a while I do stop by and observe. I hope all of our friends in Colorado are keeping safe!!

Ron
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Is there such a thing as a forum that's been around for more than 20 years?

In the long run, if you joined before 2010 you'll probably still be counted as one of those that were around since "the beginning", and everyone who joins over the next eight years (from now) will still have been around "practically forever".
Beyond that I expect to start to see more of a division between "new" and "old" members.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I feel "old", so I guess that I count as an "old" forum member. :D
JD Spydo

Some of them will come back eventually

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I've been here since September 24, 2004 and I've had a couple of time periods when I had to temporarily take a leave of absence. The economy is probably playing a role in some of that. And Yes I stay here it's because I am a true fan of not only Spyderco's knives but their sharpening equipment is truly state of the art as well.

I too miss some of the old stalwart members like Jimmy Dean, Simona, Daywalker, Samosaurus, and not to mention my true Hawkbill brother Doctor Hannibal Lecter. Times change and people change as well.

This global economic debacle we are all currently in has probably put many members into shelving or mothballing their hobby. I had to do that for a time back in 2010 myself and Thank GOD I overcame the problems and enjoy being back.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Man, I forgot that Chad hasn't been on in ages. It's been a long time since I chatted with Hannibal Lecter too. Hopefully they're doing well.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

StuntDouble wrote:Man, I forgot that Chad hasn't been on in ages. It's been a long time since I chatted with Hannibal Lecter too. Hopefully they're doing well.
Dr. Lecter and Chad are two of the most generous people I have dealt with in my entire life.

Hope they are ok...

Oh, Am I considered an old member?

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

As with any hobby (and hobby based forums), people lose interest and move on after some time.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

What about Agent Starling or Axlis?

- best wishes, Jazz.
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

I Mainly lurk these days. Life has gotten busy. I got married and got a "real" job. I haven't seen Java or vampyrewolf post much in ages. I'm just glad The Deacon is around to keep all the youngsters in line.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
Mattexian

Post by Mattexian »

I pop up from time to time, since I'm pretty satisfied with the few Spydies I've got, not much else to do. My own history was that something happened to my old account and I couldn't log in with it, so I created a new one. (I think my old acct had an email for an equally old ISP, so I'm SOL!) ;)

Matt in Texas
Recovering BoyScout(TM), now doing GoodTurns(TM) fortnightly!
cdf

Post by cdf »

I lurk / check stuff out from time to time .

Chris
carol

Post by carol »

i will try to make my posting interesting!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Daniel wrote:I feel "old", so I guess that I count as an "old" forum member. :D
I so get that! ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Joshua J. wrote:Is there such a thing as a forum that's been around for more than 20 years?
If knifeforums.com manages to hang on a few more years, they could be 20 years old. I joined there around ´96 IIRC (I left with the start of bladeforums).

I've been here since the beginning of the forum as are a bunch of other fellow Dutch forumites. I haven´t posted much or frenquently lately, but that has everything to do with family expansion (it´s tough to type with two little girls around), moving and getting 2 new jobs in the last two years.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

still lurking
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
FLUTTERBY

Post by FLUTTERBY »

Here!
Check out my last post date 3/10/2006 :eek: .
I have converted to CRK knives (large regular Sebenzas) but i am always watching the Spydie evolution.
maintaining an elevated position behind heavy cover with anything belt-fed
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Just been rather busy. Figured I'd stop in to say "hello".
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
CKE

Post by CKE »

I check in from time to time. Can't remember how long I have been here....I do remember the old format, that was early 2000's.
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
JD Spydo

Hawkbill Fraternity comes forth

Post by JD Spydo »

Greetings jimd & CKE :)
I hadn't seen either one of you guys in a while :D It's funny how a thread like this one seems to pull folks out of the woodwork. I've had to take time off a couple of time over the years. Things happen in a person's life that get out of control at times and how well I know that :(

In some ways I feel like a latecomer only being here since SEPT 2004 but on the other hand it really blows me away how many new folks we've picked up in the past 2 to 3 years and newer. And a lot of dedicated afficionados at that.

It continues to be one of the best forums period. :spyder:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

I've barely spent any time at all here in the past year or two. Part of it comes from not owning or seeking to own as many knives as before. I've settled on a small stable of Spyders that covers my usage requirements (two Enduras, a Native, UKPK, Manix 2, and a Ladybug) and don't have a need to add any more. Never thought I'd come to that point, but once I did I found myself happy to say "that'll do" and know I had great tools that would always serve me well. I do miss the ones I used to have from time to time but find I have less energy for collecting, not to mention money. Contentment has sated the hunger of the chase.

I'm always interested to know what Sypderco is up to since they are my favorite knife company but some parts of the forum experience do wear on me, like reading "When will the (insert knife here) be out?!?!?" for the millionth time. ;) Still, that overall enthusiasm is a good thing to see because the next wave of knife buyers and users is always coming and a strong interest in Spyderco products should benefit us all.

That's all the news from this longtime Spdyer-lover right now. I'll try not to stay in the woodwork as much. :)
~ Nate